Your Satisfaction with Spot Satellite/GPS Messenger?

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
I was talking to a Spot owner recently, and he was trying to convince me that I should be a Spot owner/user, too.
My position has been "Why buy something that I'll very-likely never need -- something that requires a subscription fee?"...but I checked out the company's website and discovered that the subscription fee is less than I thought, so I decided it might be worth getting one.

So I checked out the cost of the unit on Amazon.com, and I was surprised to find the reviews definitely mixed, i.e., lots of people said, "unreliable, waste of money"...and others liked it just fine, of course -- the reviews were mixed.
I'm experienced at reading Amazon reviews -- there will always be weirdos who give contrary reviews...but when the review-average is less than 4 stars it makes me wonder.
huh.gif
Reviews on REI are similarly "mixed".

It's also a little confusing about which model is which...A model on Amazon and REI is called the "Spot 2" -- or "Spot II", but the company's website doesn't even show a model called the Spot 2 or II.
blink.gif
Is the Spot 2 really this one? If so, why don't they call it the "Spot 2"?

SO: Those of you who have and use a SPOT satellite/GPS messenger, any dissatisfaction?
Maybe you've never had to use it in an emergency, but how reliable has it worked in the regular "check-in" mode? Have you experienced any downside that would support the poor reviews?
If you post an opinion, please say which model exactly you have.

Understand, I'm not asking if it's worth it to have a personal locator device in general, I'm asking specifically about the performance/reliability of the SPOT brand.

Thanks! :)

I have the original Spot, not the smaller Spot 2. I don't think they make the original larger model like mine anymore. When the Spot 2 first came out, I heard about some reliability issues with it. I'm afraid I can't give a personal account of the Spot 2 and if those issues have been worked out. Hope someone else can.

With my older model, I have found it to be reliable in check-in mode as long as you
1) Place it in an area of clear sky with the antenna (behind the logo) facing the sky. I have found the sky doesn't need to be unobstructed from horizon to horizon, but clear above an altitude of (very) roughly 45 degrees.
2) Let it sit there for 20 minutes. Watch the blinking LED pattern. If they blink in unison you have a satellite lock.
3) Use the recommended Li-ion batteries.

Sometimes I wonder how useful the 911 feature would be if I were immobilized in an area with little clear sky. I think it would still be better than nothing, because I understand a message may still get out even if there's no precise GPS lock. At least it gives you a chance. If you were in a slot canyon, you might be out of luck, realistically.

They now have a model that allows you to send text messages instead of a preset message if you have a bluetooth enabled smartphone with their app. That unit has mixed reviews, too. I'm curious if anyone has this "Spot Connect" and can give us a review.

Thanks, highz. You mentioned an issue that seems like would apply to any model or brand: visibility of satellites.
But, just so I understand, aren't there two separate satellite-visibility issues?: 1) being able to "see" the GPS satellites in order to determine the user's position, and 2) being able to see the satellite to which the user's position and message, etc., is transmitted?

Issue 1 is the same as I encounter using my GPS (or GPS-enabled phone), but 2 would be an additional issue -- separate system of satellites, right?
That problem of being deep down in a narrow canyon is a tough one for any kind of remote communication, seems like...until they perfect neutrino-based communications. Or you could just shoot up a flare...
tongue.gif

Thanks, highz. You mentioned an issue that seems like would apply to any model or brand: visibility of satellites.
But, just so I understand, aren't there two separate satellite-visibility issues?: 1) being able to "see" the GPS satellites in order to determine the user's position, and 2) being able to see the satellite to which the user's position and message, etc., is transmitted?

Issue 1 is the same as I encounter using my GPS (or GPS-enabled phone), but 2 would be an additional issue -- separate system of satellites, right?
That problem of being deep down in a narrow canyon is a tough one for any kind of remote communication, seems like...until they perfect neutrino-based communications. Or you could just shoot up a flare...
tongue.gif

You are right that Spot has to see both GPS and communication satellites. The unit will send your message more than once in case the communications satellite isn't visible. That's why you should let it sit for twenty minutes. At least that's how it works with the old model.

I have Spot 1. The only time it let me down was when I did not wait to make sure all the led lights were blinking.

There is good reason to have one without expecting to get in trouble. You can send your current position back to friends or to your own computer.
(the friends have to be chosen before you set off). They get an email with a google map to show your position. I use it at the end of a hike so I can see how far down the trail I got. A gps would do the same thing but would not allow you to send to friends. If there are folks back home that worry about you or are just interested in following your progress it is a great tool. And then there is that one time we hope won't happen.

The SPOT I had my antenna in it. It worked pretty well.

The SPOT II has a Chinese antenna designed by someone else. (My design was too expensive). I looked at the new antenna when it first came out and it's about 3 dB worse than mine.

Open them up and you will see the difference.

:LOL:
Well, I guess this thread may have been partially started when I woke up Mark one morning out in the Alvord Desert last week to show him how my Spot 2 worked-this was in response to a late night discussion around the camp fire the night before (after the snake attack and Bob's defense of our camp against it)! So let me repeat why and how I got my spot2! Someone started a thread on this site (forgot who) talking about how he got sick in the field and how (almost helpless he felt about not being able to do anything about it-cell phones dead areas) and I chimed in with my concerns on how i was always worried about the same problem, what happens if you get in a bad situation and the cell phone doesn't ping anything and you have not left a real trail for anyone to find you-what do you do. To make a long story or thread shorter, after years of not needing to worry about it because the BLM had a system that usually worked if you broke down out in the field and that usually (except that once in a while when it didn't work) you got rescued, all of a sudden I was still playing out there but had no back-up and it bothered me to no end and it was affecting where i went. Then began a discussion of satalite phones & then someone mentioned the Spot 2 GPS system. I investigated both and eventhough both a real good friend and BLM use the phone as a back-up-the cost-$350 (real cheap)-$3-5,000 (for a real good one that would work), was the factor that decided for the Spot 2! Why I like my spot 2! (1) as long as you can see the sky and keep the batteries good (and follow the instructions)---it works; (2) My back-ups, a good friend, my sister, and a Susanville friend will follow my progress out in the wilds and understand their job if I break down or get into trouble and push the "i have a problem but don't worry yet" button, instead of just the location and "i'm Okay" buttons. So far I have not pushed that button, and hope not too, but i feel allot safer out there anyway now. and if that big thing happens and i'm in a life or death situation i have that last red button to push and hopefully some one will come and save the day! That's how I feel, and that's what counts, who knows the next time out the snakes may attack in superior numbers and Bob may be overrun and the super heroes may be needed to save the day. Anyway, that's how i feel about it all!

Smoke

Wow -- cool!
I knew that you're Antenna Man, Mark W.I., but I didn't know that your work included something like this. :)

Does the same antenna cover both the GPS reception and the messaging/"help" transmission?
I ask because I follow smartphone blogs, and I remember reading something about "these models can't be as thin because they have to fit in two antennas -- one for 3G (I don't remember if it was CDMA or GSM) and one for 4G/LTE" -- as if the signal is so different that two antennas are required. (at least, that's what I remember...)
I know nothing about antennas and very little about radio (other than what I know from general physics)...and I've wondered if/how my phone can receive GPS signals with the same antenna that communicates with cell towers. And if one antenna covers both, why did people (in pre-cable times) have different TV antennas for VHF and UHF TV channels? (I remember UHF antennas generally being smaller than VHF antennas).

Yeah, kinda off-topic...
tongue.gif

But really, I still want input from Spot users on the performance of theirs -- preferably models still available.
Thanks.

The SPOT II has a Chinese antenna designed by someone else. (My design was too expensive). I looked at the new antenna when it first came out and it's about 3 dB worse than mine.

Open them up and you will see the difference.

Well then, I'm definitely glad I have the original SPOT.
smile.gif

Geezer Alert:

After posting about my Spot nearly trouble free performance I thought I should test it. Geezer memory being what it is I could not remember where the instructions were kept. (A short set is on the back of Spot.) First I found it did not work inside the house but it picked up GPS as soon as I stepped outside despite a number of large maple trees with very wet leaves. (Not a wimpy antenna!!). But it took me three tries to get it to send to my computer. My main mistake was not waiting long enough for the signal to be sent before coming back into the house. So if you are the type who can be challenged by two buttons and 3 leds then test the system before you head out and make sure what you learn is stored somewhere other than in your head.

It really is an amazing little device and if the web site can be believed has already saved over 1,000 lives. Whether they were all worth saving is another issue.

From what has been posted here and elsewhere Spot 1 is the best option.

:LOL: My Spot2 has no stink'in outside ant. and works great outside or on the dashboard of the truck; if I have any problem with it, it is just how long to keep it blinking past the first twenty minutes-tend to let it blink away for about 45 minutes. Sometimes in the bright sun it's hard to see the blinking lights, but maybe that's my old eyes and not the Spot2s problem. So far, all is good with it.
Smoke

I have a spot 2, tested it once in the house. It worked. However, after more research and thinking about my needs, once the contract is up I"ll likely not renew and go get a regular plb. I'm not the check in/follow me and what I"m doing kind of person.

I really wasn't going to mention this but what the heck. Last weekend I was camping in the Eldo. Went for a walk down a road that nature is reclaiming. Lost my way on the way back. So as I'm wondering if there will be enough of my body left to identify (my last words to a human were, not sure where I'm going) after the animals were done with it. This is the time I start to think, geez, my gps and spot aren't going to me muchgood sitting back in camp on the strongback chair :(
Lucky for me I found a road and was only about two miles from camp. I wasn't carrying anything because I was "only going to see whats over the ridge".

Kind of glad the bear I saw was on the way home and not out hiking.

:eek:Sometimes you wonder why we can be so stupid and still survive; what do they say, sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you! I bought my spot2 for things like that and it to sits on the dash board once I check in with my back-ups. Seems like, the statement that killed allot of people is" think I'll just walk over to that hill and see what's there" and several miles later there you are, no water, food, maybe a knife and a broken foot or snake bit---and no one knows where you are! So don't feel so bad, just another day you lucked out and beat the bear----:eek:

Smoke

:eek:Sometimes you wonder why we can be so stupid and still survive; what do they say, sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you! I bought my spot2 for things like that and it to sits on the dash board once I check in with my back-ups. Seems like, the statement that killed allot of people is" think I'll just walk over to that hill and see what's there" and several miles later there you are, no water, food, maybe a knife and a broken foot or snake bit---and no one knows where you are! So don't feel so bad, just another day you lucked out and beat the bear----:eek:

Smoke

As they say you should always leave your campsite Spotless.

My SPOT 2 tracked our road trip last year for 22,000km with no issue. I also mount it on my motorcycle so my better half can see where I'm at. I use it when I go camping without her as well. Now that I write all that down maybe I hate it? I can't escape!! :LOL: In seriousness it's worked great for me all across the continent in a variety of terrain including mountains. I have yet to attemp to use it, and don't wish to under dire circumstances, in a canyon or crevasse. I can't say how it would work. It's light enough I always carry it back country skiing as a just in case measure, along with a cell phone and all the other usuals. I basically throw it in any pack or vehicle where I will be without cell coverage and it has worked 100%.

Having said that the original unit I bought did not work and I had to take it back for a replacement, which has worked since I got it without issue. I don't know if I would trust my life to it. But does anyone trust their life to a device with AAA batteries? Or any batteries?? But carrying it does provide me with some comfort.

The tracking feature is cool and is a nice addition to TR's on here and blogs IMO.

As they say you should always leave your campsite Spotless.

Very good indeed!

It has been suggested to us by several friends that we get a SPOT so they can go on line to see where we are when we don't answer the phone here. We have suggested they all go in together and get us one and pay for the annual subscription. Hasn't happened yet.

And Mr. Mumbles, a couple of bears and lions saw you on your walk, you just must not have looked good enough. :D

I found one vendor on eBay that looks like they are selling the older Spot 1

Maybe the SPOT should be carried full-time on a string around the neck...
...like the "Help I've fallen and I can't get up!" device that my dad wears.
wink.gif

Maybe the SPOT should be carried full-time on a string around the neck...
...like the "Help I've fallen and I can't get up!" device that my dad wears.
wink.gif

:cautious:Now let see see, where did i put my string ball?-hmmmm, what am I looking for?

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom