Zamp 160 Roof Install

BrianG

I'm about ready to replace my 100w FWC installed panel with the new 160w configuration FWC is using. I'm cross checking another reference, are they using full length z bar or just brackets at each end attached to the Yakima tracks? Or, what has been your method? I realize they do use z bars when attaching directly to the roof.

Anyone have an image of the factory install

Thanks everyone, this forum has really been great help, after two of owning our Hawk I still can't get thru a day without checking on the latest posts.

Happy New Year to all.
Brian

I recently installed a Kyocera 160W panel on my Grandby. I used aluminum angle to mount on the Yakima tracks. I put an additional spacer under the aluminum angle because another member posted that the roof hit the mounts while going down the road. Works great so far.

Our new Grandby has the 160 watt panel and it is attached to the the Yakima Tracks with the z-bar going the full length of the panel from side to side. I have another 130 watts of solar I want to install on my new Ruger Trailer which also has the Yakima Tracks. Does anyone know a source of the z-bar?

Www.orangealuminum.com has z Bar, never used them just looked it up via google. Camper Rich can you tell me the thickness of the z bar holding your panel?

Thanks

If you have the Yakima tracks and the panel is long enough there is no reason to span the distance with another piece of aluminum angle, just make some aluminum clips for each corner. No need to add any more weight to your roof and rig than is necessary. Ron

I know there are photos that have been posted of the 160w panel install on FWC....I just don't have the threads...and indeed a picture in this case would truly be worth a thousand words..

Some one must have it archived...try different searches.

Phil

Thanks for all the info, I think I know why FWC does it with a full length z bar. The Zamp panel measures 58 3/4" in length. The outside to outside measurement on the Yakima tracks is 59 1/4", that doesn't leave much corner to work with. I'll first see if I can make up four aluminum corner brackets, I have an idea in mind, otherwise I'll go with the 1/8" z bar.

The Zamp panel and 30a controller won't arrive for another week.

Brian, I didn't get too fancy installing my 160 watt Solar Cynergy panel, but here is a picture for whatever it's worth. My panel is probably very close to the same measurement as yours without checking, and just spans enough to go across both tracks.
I cut four pieces of aluminum angle, pop-riveted them to the sides of the panel, and drilled one hole down through each bracket where they crossed over the Yakima tracks and screwed them into the sliding plate nut in the track. They're holding on fine.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1482978878.513281.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Thanks PokyBro, It's nice to know a simple bracket will do the job, I'm going with a little different home made bracket, I'll post an image when I get it installed, it involves 4 pieces of 3/8x3x5" pieces of aluminum bar, it will be a little more complicated than yours, but it's winter and I have nothing else to do!

Takesiteasy, I did see your tread. The Zamp package I'm getting comes with brackets, the new Zamp panels come with a sliding slot for the brackets for total adjustability, but with 1/2" over hang on each end they probably won't work. Thus FWC is using full length z bar I'm guessing. There would be no issue on my Hawk if I had the over hang you do. Thanks

I've completed the replacement of my factory installed 100w panel with a Zamp 160w panel. Besides the panel I also replaced the 15 amp solar controller with a 30 amp Zamp. The controller was easy, however it was necessary to cut a 5"x4" cutout in the cabinet to flush mount the unit, I only blew one 30 amp fuse when the battery + & - terminals touched. I changed out the 15amp solar and battery fuses with 30 amp. The manual says use 40 amp, but Zamp told me to use 30 amp.

As for the 100w panel, I replaced the 6 screw holes with stainless hex bolts one size larger and covered them with 3M 4200. I also coated the threads and just snugged them up as directed by FWC.

As for the panel it just barely made it past the Yakima racks. The easiest way to attach them would be with z-bar as FWC does, but I wanted them a little closer to the roof. One note, if you rest them directly on the Yakima racks there might not be enough space to plug in the SAE connector. Luckily, my bracket added 3/8" of an inch, so I was OK. For my bracket, I ordered 5"x3"x3/8" 6061 aluminum flat plate from Onlinemetals. I them did all the additional milling on my woodworking bandsaw and rounded the edges on my router table with a carbide bit. Then just for fun I polished them, it's winter and I have little to do! Everything fit perfectly. It was a fun and easy project and with my portable panel I will have 260 watts of solar. I hope the images I uploaded come thru. Another note, Zamp now has a great system for attaching solar panels, as can be seem they are totally adjustable. Offthegridrvs.com gave me a great price on the Zamp kit. If you have any questions let me know, if the panel blows off on the first trip I'll let you know :) Thanks to everyone for your input.

zampslidenuts.jpgBracket.JPGBottomZamp.JPGMoundedBracket.JPG

Brian

Very nice looking corner brackets.

Would the panel have mounted to your Yaktrak dimensions other wise ?

I understand you needed to raise the panel anyway for the electrical junction box.

What is the outside width of the panel ?

DavidGraves

North Oregon Coast

Brian

I have heard there sometimes can be heat issues from panels lying to close to a roof....probably more of a summer desert thing.

Did Offthe grid send you the conventional L brackets?

DavidGraves

David, there will be plenty of airflow under the panel. Offthegrid sent me the standard mounting brackets that come with the kit. They would not have worked in my situation, they will work perfectly with your Yakima rack spacing (54", mine was 58"). The 30 amp Zamp controller is really nice, this controller should be the standard at FWC, in fact, I was told I would get a 30 and didn't.

Concerning this installation, the support from FWC was substandard, they never replied to my request for an install price and never really gave satisfactory answers to some very easy questions. Example to one question: What is the width dimension of the z-bar you use? Answer: 3/16 or 3/8", well it was neither, what kind of answer is that? Correct answer is 1/8" I think they might need to hire more help.

BrianG said:
David, there will be plenty of airflow under the panel. Offthegrid sent me the standard mounting brackets that come with the kit. They would not have worked in my situation, they will work perfectly with your Yakima rack spacing (54", mine was 58"). The 30 amp Zamp controller is really nice, this controller should be the standard at FWC, in fact, I was told I would get a 30 and didn't.

Concerning this installation, the support from FWC was substandard, they never replied to my request for an install price and never really gave satisfactory answers to some very easy questions. Example to one question: What is the width dimension of the z-bar you use? Answer: 3/16 or 3/8", well it was neither, what kind of answer is that? Correct answer is 1/8" I think they might need to hire more help.
BrianG,

That's the most beautiful bracket I have ever seen!

I was trying to decide between the Zamp controller and SunSaver MPPT. Aesthetically, the Zamp controller has a better mounting position and offers a on-screen date display.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom