Panther Solar Install

ScottBailey

Installed a 65 watt solar panel.

Pictures:
  • Feet on the panel.
  • Wires in the box. (I closed the conduit hole w/ some aluminum & 3M 5200, drilled small hioles for the 14 gauge wire and sealed w/ 5200.)
  • The Morningstar controller. The solar negative (-) was tied to the frame.

Attachments

• atc_solar_01.jpg
    atc_solar_01.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 745
  • atc_solar_02.jpg
    atc_solar_02.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 836
  • atc_solar_03.jpg
    atc_solar_03.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 831
I made "gaskets" for the feet with some spare heater hose.

Attachments

• atc_solar_04.jpg
    atc_solar_04.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 631
  • atc_solar_05.jpg
    atc_solar_05.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 633
The first picture shows the wiring. Negative (-) is tied into the frame through an existing screw while positive (+) runs through ATC's prewire. I think ATC normally prewires in the front. I like the solar panel in the rear, easier to lift. And, yes, this panel is easy to lift. Note, added the 5200 on the existing screw head AFTER the picture.

The second picture shows the battery is charging! Check this out before you bolt your solar panel in, since it'll be impossible to problem solve later!

The third picture shows the panel in place and bolted down. The gaskets were drilled w/ a 1/4 inch bit, maybe larger (same size as the foot holes have). After positioning the gasket, I filled the hole w/ 5200, put a 1" screw w/ a washer through 2 of the holes, and then -- after the picture -- applied 5200 to the screw head.

Attachments

• atc_solar_06.jpg
    atc_solar_06.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 792
  • atc_solar_08.jpg
    atc_solar_08.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 858
  • atc_solar_07.jpg
    atc_solar_07.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 817
Final proof! The panel can charge plenty on a cloudy Arizona day!

Attachments

• atc_solar_09.jpg
    atc_solar_09.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 636
Nicely done. I like your idea of using heater hose for gasket material.

Single Battery?

Scott,

Glad to see you've got it ready to go! I'll be curious to hear reports on how the panel does on keeping up with your power use for extended stays.

From the pics it looks like you have a single battery, true?

Happy Trails!
'birds

Solar

Scott,
Just wondering why you didn't run the - to the solar controller as per the wiring diagram with the sunsaver. I am assuming you used the frame or battery - to complete the circuit.
The panel output can run several volts higher than the battery voltage and I was wondering if this would cause the controller to malfunction. I have the same set up with a 65 watt panel and 10 amp sunsaver.
I used 2 wire #10 tray cable to minimize voltage drop and fused the positive lead for a disconnect and to protect the wire in case of a short.
Looks like it works as connected though.
Dsrtrat

AK Snowbirds: just returned from 3 nights out. On a sunny day we hit 100% 3.5 hours after sunrise. On a cloudy AZ day with a few sprinkles, it took 6.5 hours. Note that the sunny day followed a warmer night, so less furnace... On the sunny day, the panel seems to put out enough juice to run a fantastic fan on low without battery drain. I'm pleased thus far.

I barely noticed the panel weight when lifting.

Single 75 amp battery. I suppose I'll add another, if I need it.

Dsrtrat: followed Marty's advice and doubled checked with Northern AZ Wind and Sun. ATC prewired front and rear per my request. They run power only and 14 gauge, tieing negative to the frame. I would have requested a larger gauge, but then again it seems more than adequate for my needs.

I think I need to look at the morningstar diagram again since I forgot to add fuses! My controller is, I think, good for 20 amps...

This may be the most useful mod I've done... Well after bolt thru.

AK Snowbirds: ...On a sunny day we hit 100% 3.5 hours after sunrise. On a cloudy AZ day with a few sprinkles, it took 6.5 hours. Note that the sunny day followed a warmer night, so less furnace...I'm pleased thus far...Single 75 amp battery. I suppose I'll add another, if I need it...

Scott,

Sounds like you've got good reason to be pleased. That should let you stay until the propane, water, food, or vacation time gives out:)

It doesn't sound like a second battery is necessary unless you plan on increasing load. 6 1/2 hours to recharge after a cooler night and on a cloudy day seems like it works just fine.

We use a CPAP machine on a 125W inverter at night for sleep apnea and it has about 4 amps draw for 8 hours so a second battery might be good for us, especially since we do most of our camping in the (AZ) winter. Storing the full amount available from the panel will probably keep the CPAP and furnace covered and, on a sunny day, let us crank up the laptop some too.

...I have the same set up with a 65 watt panel and 10 amp sunsaver...

Dsrtrat,

Are you running a single battery too? Does the panel pretty much keep up with your needs?

Thanks!
'birds

Solar set up

AK Snowbirds,
Yes I just have the single Interstate 75 amp hr battery that comes stock with the ATC campers. I have a Kyocera KC-65t panel as it was the lightest per watt my research found. I use a Morningstar SS-10 charge controller.

I use an Engel 45 qt fridge and find that the battery charges and mantains the fridge just fine. I use a little bit of lighting and furnace when needed. One thing I did was to use a small boat vent cover to seal the hole in the roof where the cable exits the roof. The one I used is about 1/1/2 inch long. The cable bends underneath and I filled the cavity with caulk, no leaks. I used regular silicone caulk as I like to be able to remove or replace components in case of damage.
Dsrtrat

65W it is.

Dsrtrat,

Thanks for the information. Your power use sounds like it would be similar to ours for lights and furnace and the Engle probably about equates to our CPAP machine use (we use propane for fridg when AC's not available and we're not running).

I've used the marine fitting you mention before and it makes sense for sealing up wiring penetrations on the camper.

We'll probably do an install similar to the one the LaQuinta Hikers did on their FWC but see if we can use some plug-in fittings to keep it portable for boat/cabin etc.

Our camper upgrade fund took a serious hit yesterday when I bullseyed Darling Daughter's laptop keyboard with a full cup of coffee. It's amazing just how fast those little beauties die when you do that.:rolleyes:

New computer on order. Solar panel, extra battery, extra propane, Porta-Potti upgrade, ensolite insulation and dinette on hold for now 'till the fund recovers some.

Thanks again!
'birds (AKA Dumb Dad)

65 watt

Checked my setup, I have the 10 amp controller... Morningstar doesn't call for a fuse, but it's a good idea.

The 65 watt is very easy to lift. In fact, so easy that I intend test lift with another 14 pounds. If that remains comfortable, I'll add the second battery, a Nova Kool 2600, and a second panel. In that order, but it's a lot of money to spend, so not anytime soon.

(I talked to a Nova Kool rep and was amazed at his product knowledge as well as the reasonable power consumption of the Nova Kool.)

We use a CPAP machine on a 125W inverter at night for sleep apnea and it has about 4 amps draw for 8 hours so a second battery might be good for us, especially since we do most of our camping in the (AZ) winter. Storing the full amount available from the panel will probably keep the CPAP and furnace covered and, on a sunny day, let us crank up the laptop some too.

I think they make DC input ones which might save you some power losses in the inverter (assuming you have insurance to cover the upgrade). I'll likely know more down the road because they have me on a trial CPAP right now and depending on how that goes I might end up on one too. If so I'll be looking for DC option and low power draw.

Cpap

Pods8,

Thanks for the heads up on the DC input CPAP. If you find out more we'd be very interested to hear about it.

We've got 100% coverage, but they determine what's covered:p

If the DC doesn't work out the 175W inverter from Costco was around $20 and plugs into the "cigarette lighter" outlet in the camper. I'm sure ther are losses but it works for the regular AC CPAP if you don't have anything else. It also works for the laptop.

CPAP's a pain but sure beats strokin' out! Life's a lot better when you really get some sleep too.

WAY off thread...I think you made an Icicle Ck. run a while back and I asked about the bakery by the salmon hatchery? Susan's mom, Gram
G., from E'berg is up for a couple weeks and says it moved to the fruit stand just as you come into Leavenworth from Wenatchee/Cashmere on the left, under the HUGE American flag. If it's the same bakery their baguettes are super...add some goat cheese and wine and it's a great lunch at Icicle Ck. :thumb:

Happy Trails!
'birds

Life's a lot better when you really get some sleep too.

This was the issue they are checking me out for, I'd lay down to sleep for 8hrs but wake up feeling like I had nothing, was really wearing me out.

WAY off thread...I think you made an Icicle Ck. run a while back and I asked about the bakery by the salmon hatchery? Susan's mom, Gram
G., from E'berg is up for a couple weeks and says it moved to the fruit stand just as you come into Leavenworth from Wenatchee/Cashmere on the left, under the HUGE American flag. If it's the same bakery their baguettes are super...add some goat cheese and wine and it's a great lunch at Icicle Ck. :thumb:

I know it, I'll have to check it out next trip through.

All,

Was thinking about this the other day... I'm not certain about my recharge times. I was looking at battery + solar voltage as opposed to battery only. Regardless, I think my recharge times are close.

SB

Back
Top Bottom