Solar power point

Jeff Wanamog

Advanced Member
On a FWC, the wires that come from the roof for a solar panel terminate in the cabinet or in my case just to the right of the cabinet.
My question is, after the power comes from the charge controller, at what point in the campers electrical system do you introduce the power?
If you tie into an existing unused circuit, the campers cut off switch would stop the charging from the panel when in off position.
The best solution would be to tie directly to the batteries, but they are on the opposite side of the camper.

Thanks.
Jeff

Here's a link to the write up on my solar install. This is probably more than you want but it includes a wiring diagram.
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1152&highlight=BOBG333

Thanks for the info, but what I am looking for is a more simple approach.
I am modding this camper for my kids to use.
When FWC installs a solar panel at the factory, where do they introduce the power from the solar to the DC system?

Jeff

No idea how the factory does it but I'd personally just connect it directly to the battery even if that mean running some wire over. Just put it in some wire loom to protect it if its going to be out in the open.

If you want to connect it to the main panel just leave the cutoff switch on, the solar panel should charge the battery fine to make up for the small draws if you have hardwired CO and propane detection.

Jeff:

I did a solar install last year. I connected directly to the battery. Here's the link to my install with photos: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1725/page__fromsearch__1

Dan

On a FWC, the wires that come from the roof for a solar panel terminate in the cabinet or in my case just to the right of the cabinet.
My question is, after the power comes from the charge controller, at what point in the campers electrical system do you introduce the power?
If you tie into an existing unused circuit, the campers cut off switch would stop the charging from the panel when in off position.
The best solution would be to tie directly to the batteries, but they are on the opposite side of the camper.

Thanks.
Jeff

Back
Top Bottom