Newer updated FWC mattress?

Durango1

So the mattress that came in my 2012 Hawk had the approximate softness of a pine 2" x 12"! But I understand in the last year or so FWC has improved their standard mattress foam.

So is anyone a) using this new FWC mattress successfully or b) improved on it with a topper, etc or c) deleted it and is using something else?

Thanks,
Steve

We use a Exped Comfort Duo on our 2013 Hawk. Do not use the pull out. On the old 2002 Hawk with the short cabover we had to pull out the bed to use it. On that we used two REI pads.

The Rei pads were better than the Exped but I wanted a 48" wide pad.

I use some memory foam and while others state it can be "hard" in the cold, I've been totally happy. I bought a large, queen size from Costco and then cut it into 3 pieces (1/2 of it for the main bed, the other 1/2 cut in half (quarters)).

We've had many posts on this subject. I use the memory foam topper from Walmart on mine. Its decent, not perfect.

This is one of those topics that really becomes an individual preference. The mattress arena is tricky cuz as you know, our comfort level differs from one to another. What is good for one may be a bed of nails to someone else. That said, this is what I came up with and its been a good mod.

I have a 2012 Hawk, and the mattress is (was) hard as concrete. Something had to change. I did a fair amount of research on pads, memory foam and plain old foam. Shied away from memory foam cuz I learned that this foam tends to be cold and hardens in cold+ temperatures. Instead of buying a new mattress (foam is expensive) I decided to modify what I had. I took my 4" stock mattress to a place in Sacramento and they sliced 1" off which made the foam actually softer. Cost $5.00 to cut it. Now I have a 3" mattress, still fits (loosely) into the large mattress cover that came with the camper. Softer, but still not enough. So, I picked up a 1" foam "Full" mattress (not memory foam) from Walmart, (they have Queen and King also), but like Bill, we don't pull out the bed slide...my girlfriend and I sleep close and the Full size bed works well for us.

Then I toss a couple of fleece like bed covers as a top/bottom sheets with an optional down comforter on top. This set up is, as comfortable if not more, than the bed in my home.

Note on memory foam. I have not used memory a foam mattress in camper. I do sleep on a contoured memory foam pillow, really help my neck. It also is like a thermometer. On cold mornings it is soft where my head is keeping it warm. Turn and it is like a pine 2x4.

Brand new hawk. sleeps fine if on my back, reminds me of my navy cot, but on my side, diff story. added 1.5" memory foam topper, the wife is happier and so is my shoulder and hip when I sleep on my side :)

Back
Top Bottom