Advice on Hawk in short short bed

Aj1978

I have an opportunity to buy a fully loaded FWC Hawk. The truck is currently on a 2015 Silverado half ton with a 6 5 bed. I can buy the package or just the camper. I know this will be close to pay load with passengers and extras. I think that is only 1600 lbs. on the 2015 according to the door sticker. I also know those year of Silverados seem to have many mechanical issues. All seems ok and truck was very well taken care of but has just over 100k miles.

I also currently have a 2024 Silverado with the 5 6 bed. The payload goes to 1900 lbs. which is better but there will be the obvious overhang if I install the Hawk. I have read a few examples and would add air bags as directed. Can anyone comment on long term happiness of a Hawk on a short short bed? I hate to get another truck and all that come with it if not needed. If I do I would rather get a 3/4 ton in the future after utilizing my current truck for awhile. any thoughts would really help.

I would look closely at the camper CG and resulting rear axle weight relative to the rear axle limit.

I have 1945lb payload in my F-150 6'4" bed, with a loaded 2022 front dinette Hawk and cassette toilet. The CG is further back than the previous Hawk and Grandby I have had with rollover couches.

Loaded up with liquids, 36gallon gas, both propane tanks, 2x 90Ah AGM batteries (located next to the rear bumper), 1 person (driver) and partial cargo, I weighed it on a scale and the rear axles is 2-300 lbs of its limit. Load remaining cargo and a small trailer (motorcycle or small boat) and I am at limit.

I now travel with no water in the hot water, half fresh water, 1 propane tank and plan to switch Li batteries in time and maybe move those up front under the dinette which would also shorten the main power cable wiring. Combined, this frees up a lot of weight over, and aft, of the rear axle. The front axle has lots of margin left since the CG is back a ways. I also run load range E AT tires, each rated at up to 3700lbs load, about same as my whole rear axle.

I think you will have the same or worse situation with the shorter bed than I have. If it is rollover or side dinette, maybe a bit less. In either case your rear axle is carrying the most load on your 2024.

For the 2015, you might weigh it. 1600lbs payload seems marginal especially if you are hitting potholes, big bumps, cornering. If you also want to tow something, not a good option. Yes, many people have done it.

Back
Top Bottom