Fridge door adjustment Waeco / Dometic

billharr

Getting ready for a short trip and wanted to make sure tall wine bottles would not keep the fridge door open. I found my door was not closing tight. Not sure for how long as you had to look close to see the gap.

See picture below with flashlight inside.
med_gallery_1903_734_5241965.jpg

Looked at how it was latching and hoped it was adjustable. I have a removable shelf above my fridge so easy to get to the screws without removing the fridge. I found the screws that hold the latch are slotted.

See picture below to see slots.
med_gallery_1903_734_3136266.jpg

I lightly snugged down the screws so they would hold position when adjusted. DO NOT tap on the close/vent adjustment knob, that is a very small screw it pivots on. As you move the close/vent knob you will see a place you can place a punch to tab the latch back.

This picture shows where to tap the latch to adjust.
med_gallery_1903_734_5469600.jpg

Tested fit and tighten screws. I moved the latch back just about 3/32". Picture below shows screws after adjustment.

med_gallery_1903_734_2661183.jpg

This was an easy adjustment to make. Would be a more work is you have to pull the fridge forward. I wonder how long my fridge was like this.

Flashlight inside after the door was adjusted.
med_gallery_1903_734_3527632.jpg

Before ............................................... After
sml_gallery_1903_734_5241965.jpg
sml_gallery_1903_734_3527632.jpg

Thanks for this post. I have had the fridge door open 2X times over the past year, so I probably need to check into this adjustment.

Your posts are always so well documented with photos or videos, they take the guesswork out.

Oooooooooooh, Mr. Bill!

Noticed the same on my fridge this weekend and was wondering how to remedy it. Thanks for the instructions. Looks like with mine, I have to pull the fridge. Guess I'll take the opportunity to add some draft blocking. I get cold air infiltration around the fridge in cold weather around the perimeter of the fridge.

Paul

Bill, love your posts! Lots of info and cool pics. I have them in my memory banks for when I will need them :)

PaulT said:
My guess is the upper right corner of the fridge door. That's where I noticed the gap on mine.

Paul
That is where the gap was. I could move the door out enough to pull the gasket away from the body of the fridge.

Bill

I tried a flashlight in mine but didn't see anything. I'm going to try it at night to make sure, but as of now I think mine is OK. For the future if I have to make an adjustment, how do I get my fridge out a little to expose the top of the bracket and adjustment screws? JD

JD, I am going to offer an uninformed opinion on that. I'd take off the vent panels and look for screws at the bottom and perhaps at the top/sides.

longhorn1 said:
I tried a flashlight in mine but didn't see anything. I'm going to try it at night to make sure, but as of now I think mine is OK. For the future if I have to make an adjustment, how do I get my fridge out a little to expose the top of the bracket and adjustment screws? JD
A quick check to make sure your door is tight. Put a piece of paper in the door and close it, The door should be tight enough so the paper will not pull out. I would have needed over 10 sheets to hold tight on my door.

I did the $bill test on my fridge and it fails all around, almost no resistance. I used Bills great info here and did a small adjustment, still no change. I then used all the adjustment available on the screws, to the point the door was hard to click shut. Zero change in resistance.

An ideas on next steps?

Don, you can buy a new seal. It pulls out of the groove in the door. I purchased mine from a distributor. Called Dometic who referred me to a San Diego phone number. They shipped to me. I don't recall the cost but I do remember it was not cheap. Harv

DonC said:
I did the $bill test on my fridge and it fails all around, almost no resistance. I used Bills great info here and did a small adjustment, still no change. I then used all the adjustment available on the screws, to the point the door was hard to click shut. Zero change in resistance.

An ideas on next steps?
How old is your camper? This could be covered under Dometic warranty.

Camper is a 2012 Fleet. One of the set screws for the adjust was stripped even though this is the first I've pulled it out and looked at it.

photohc - is the seal a DIY install?

DonC said:
Camper is a 2012 Fleet. One of the set screws for the adjust is stripper also even though this is the first I've pulled it out and looked at it.

photohc - is the seal a DIY install?
Yes. Just pull out the old. Held in place with some silicone and replace by pushing into a slot that circles the door. I cleaned out the old silicone by using a plastic credit card like tool and put some new one before pushing the new seal back in.

Back
Top Bottom