Camper Rain Gutters Anyone?

Yukon

Question for the group. Do others have the same issue that I have when it rains? The water comes off the front corners of the camper roof and spills right inside my truck when I have the doors open (getting in/out, or loading stuff). (Eagle camper on a mid-size Nissan frontier). If anyone has had this problem and came up with interesting solution; I'd love to learn. I am thinking about putting rain gutters on those two front corners.

Chris
PS: Of course I live in Washington where yes, it does rain.

Chris,
Four years ago I bought some of that white EZE RV & Marine Gutters product; 10-ft roll at ~ $2 per foot. It has worked very well for me in exactly the application you're envisioning.
Rico

I have the same issue and looked at that gutter strip.
Haven't got off my butt to order it.The bigger issue we have it the water dripping from the front latches.
It drips right onto the window and inside if you have window/door open.
The strip gutter won't help there so I made a sheet metal type gutter that attaches with the bottom screws of the bottom front of the camper.Seems to work very good.Also the window doesn't get the "water trace" left behind after it drys.
I posted some pictures some time back but will post again if anybody wants to see.
Frank

Hello All,
Based on input from you folks, I went to my local RV Parts Supplier (Evergreen RV, Seattle). I bought the EZE-RV Gutter product. They sell it by the foot ($3/ft). It appears to be good quality material. My only concern is that the roof of the camper is not a smooth surface. We'll see how it holds up over time. See two photos.

I also had already created a metal gutter using roof flashing from Home Depot. (see photo). But, I decided to try the EZE product first because I don't like drilling into the camper roof or removing existing screws. I'll post something after my next big rain regarding effectiveness of EZE-gutter.

Chris

Attachments

• EZ gutter1.jpg
    EZ gutter1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 292
  • EZ gutter2.jpg
    EZ gutter2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 308
  • metal gutter.jpg
    metal gutter.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 280
Yukon, that looks like a poor place to install the strips. If the camper was parked in a manner that the water was dripping toward the front, you would be building up even more water. You'd have a small lake up there.

All it would take is a good gust of wind or the weight of your body settling the suspension and you might end up with more water on you than you were getting in the first place.

The drip rails need to be installed on the sides.

You should find one installed above your FWC back door as an example.

Hello Bill,

I appreciate your insight. What you mention is why I did not make those strips long, and certainly does not create a lake on the roof. It only goes about 12 inches towards the front edge, and only about 30 inches on the side. I.e., it only prevents water dripping on me when I open my truck doors.

Chris

I see your point that if it isn't too long, a majority of the water will go around it and will not puddle.
I hope it works out well for you.

You can always cut a bit off, if it's pooling.

Let us know how it works out for you.

This would be a good thread for Tom at FWC to review.

As expensive as these campers have become, I do like the fact that he is always trying to improve the product.

I'd like to see a small rim all the way around the edge of the FWC's top .... and a drain designed to catch that trapped rainwater filtered via ceramic filters.
It would be awesome to refill the built in 20 gallon tank out in the bush.

Please spare me from our Government not allowing collection of rain water. :mad:

I would love to see more photos of solutions to this problem. I have the same problem with water dripping on or into the driver and passenger windows. Hawk on a GM Sierra 1500

Back
Top Bottom