Progressive Dynamics Power Converter - PD4000 series

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
While we were out and about the past few days, I was curious about the power converter in my Northern Lite, and whether or not it had a float setting to keep from damaging batteries by over charging.

I dug into the literature, and was pleased to find that it does go into a float state once the batteries are at full charge. Even more pleased to learn that it will go into a maintenance mode to help prevent sulfation. After 21 hours in float mode, the converter will jump charging voltage up to 14.2 volts for 15 minutes, then back to float mode. Pulsing with a short period of higher voltage is how most good chargers work.

I think I would like to have one of these (or similar) in any RV.

Steve,
That looks like a very nice power converter/power center. Also, of interest, is that they are making Lithium Ion battery chargers.
Might be a possibility for someone looking to complete an upgrade to their entire battery power system in addition to solar.

It's amazing how easy it is to find inspiration to spend money around here. :eek:

Paul

I am not clear, but my initial reaction to that de-sulfation mode is sometimes called equalization mode, which I think is generally not considered a good thing for AGM batteries. It is a good thing for standard wet acid batteries where you can add water and over time, the plates get a layer of sulfate on them that diminishes capacity.

I doubt that a daily 15 minute dose of slightly higher voltage is going to do much/any damage to an AGM battery, but I do take steps to avoid the equalization mode on my 120V charger.

I've got that same charge converter in my wife's fifth wheel. I changed to it after camping for a week at a campground and burning up a set of batteries by leaving the rv plugged in. I couldn't believe that the manufacturer used such a cheap converter charger to begin with. All rv manufacturers should use the progressive dynamics charger to begin with. I love just plugging it in and knowing my batts are always ready to go and never worrying about overcharging.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom