Super Springs HD coils SSC-52 Ram 2500

kmehr

Advanced Member
Wanted to do a quick review of the Super Springs SSC-52 HD coils for the Ram trucks as I don't really see anyone who has tried these out and talked about it on the internet. I previously was using stock rear springs and Timbrens. This worked ok, but the Timbrens were from my 2005 dodge so weren't exactly the right size, plus anyone who has installed them on the coil spring trucks knows the rear track bar mount on the passenger side makes it a giant PITA to install. Also the Timbrens don't give a great ride empty and I was tired of my spine compressing when I hit a decent size bump to make them contact the axle. May not have been the case with that actual (shorter) Timbrens designed with for my truck. Finally, was hoping to get a bit more articulation Offroad to make things feel less tippy, TBD on that front.

I just installed these with my Outfitter Juno 8.5 and went for a run down the interstate. nice and stable. The stock springs on their own started wobbling at 65mph and I had to slow way down to get it to stop. Very scary stuff. Not the case at all with the supersprings. I would say that the driving feel is very similar to the stock springs and Timbrens when loaded., which is nice and stable, no white knuckle etc.

I also have Accutune 2.5in custom tuned shocks, and I'm sure they make a huge difference in taming side to side movement. These were critical for me, as Offroad on the stock shocks, I would get to wobbling so bad I would have to come to a complete stop to keep the truck from rocking back and forth and front to back. The shocks totally fixed that issue and as a bonus, didn't require lift springs like Thuren/Carli.

The rear of my truck was up 3/4in over the stock springs and Timbrens, but they may settle a little with time. I did not tell much if any difference between stock vs. superspring ride quality when unloaded, which is great. I was worried they'd be crazy harsh, but not so, the progressive setup really appears to work. They sag about 3/4in less than the Timbrens did when loaded with the empty camper.

Additionally, I have the Hellwig Bigwig sway bar in the rear and that improved handling a lot. So this isn't a totally naked review of stock vs. Super springs, but compared to Timbrens and airbags, I would say these are a great replacement alternative to those as they handle the weight well (my camper is around 2500lbs empty, 3300lbs wet with people etc). Hope this helps others out some, and if you're like me, appreciate fewer tasks to undertake to change the truck from empty mode to camper mode! Truly a set it and forget it setup.

Install was also easy- let axle hang, remove bottom shock bolts, one track bar bolt and just swap them in and out.

Recent trip update- did a little two day trip, about 100 miles of driving and can report back that the SuperSprings are where it's at! They may be a little stiff on the road compared to stock, though if there is a difference, it is very subtle. I can probably make some shock adjustments to compensate for that, just haven't played with them much. I'd also say the ride is a little more "floaty" at high speed, but still very stable. Off road is where they really shine vs. Timbrens. The articulation at 20mph and lower feels like triple (and very well may be) that of the Timbrens. The ride is so much smoother and the rig feels so much less tippy and top heavy when off camber. Highly recommend this combo- DSC shocks and Super springs over Timbrens/airbags. Set it and forget it solution and now all I need to do for camper vs. unloaded modes is change tire pressure.

Attachments

• IMG_5850.jpeg
    IMG_5850.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5851.jpeg
    IMG_5851.jpeg
    290.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5852.jpeg
    IMG_5852.jpeg
    303.8 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom