Joshua Tree NP - December 26- 29th - 2016 - 4WD required

RC Pilot Jim

A small group of us did the "Bradshaw trail" near Palm springs last Christmas vacation. This year lets go explore Joshua Tree.

I was thinking about limiting it to ATC and FWCampers......maybe a Flip Pac or two..(I still have a soft-spot for them.)

Taking "camel-racers" lead we will restrict the number to 15 vehicles. I know date is 4 month off and current temp at my house is 85* and my a/c is running.....winter IS coming (such as it is in the south-west)

I have never been there. Was reading about "Old Dale Road"
See "MAP" of park.. On the map "old Dale" is directly north of the "Cottonwood Visitor Center.

Checking with the Ranger she advises the BLM section has a lot of washouts so doesn't believe it would be a safe route for Campers (because she hasn't seen the off-road capable campers WE have) .
Ranger advises we stick to exploring "Pinkham canyon" and "Geology tour.

Please keep my name as interested in this trip.

So, I live in this area (Big Bear), the washouts are sometimes really hard to cross without either Trax to make bridges or winches to go around. Some of the washouts get steep banks and actually would make wheeling with a FWC near impossible. I've almost flipped with no camper installed by choosing a bad line.
Either way, dangers or not, I'd be interested. I should have some vacation time banked up by December.

I have a Tacoma with FWC.

Good to know Knox. Maybe we meet at the Ranger a Station south of Old Dale road consult with the Ranger - then go explore/ find a camping space.

I've done that Old Dale Trail in a very capable LR3 Land Rover on 35"s and it was very challenging. Some seriously narrow parts above huge drops, deep washouts that are not ever repaired, and there are dozens of forks in the road that got us crazy lost even with the appropriate maps and GPS. Knowing what I know now, there's no way my 4x4 F150 and Hawk could make that trip. It's also not very interesting, with mostly abandoned mine sites and barren desert and one mountain pass followed by a straight haul through a sandy wash back to the highway.

The Berdoo Canyon Road south of the Geology tour road is pretty cool though. 4x4 required, but much more manageable. You drive through a cool slot canyon with unique flora and geology. Ends in an abandoned quarry turned public shooting range/Coors Light drinking zone, so pass with care.

Pacific,
Berdoo Canyon Road sounds like more our speed. Light 4-wheelin. Nobody gets stuck or breaks anything. Lots of opportunities to tell lies around a warm fire while drinking adult beverages, ...Staying up range from the public shootin' where its safe.

Heres a link to "Berdoo" map. and Joshua Tree map - both from the national Park website.

Back
Top Bottom