South of Needles Utah

searching for nowhere

I'm planning a trip to the Bear Ears area. Yes; where the group camping will be. Unfortunately I can't make it the days of the group camping and I will be there a week early. I will try to post a trip report for everyone.

I've found some interesting places to visit: Beef Basin, Lavender Canyon, and Davis Canyon. Has anybody been to Beef Basin recently from 211 (not through Needles)? I'm wondering what the condition of the road is. How long did it take to drive from 211 to the basin?

Lavender and Davis Canyons: Has anyone been there? What are the roads like? Can a simple city type pickup truck drive in there?

If anyone will be in the area early and would like to drive into these areas together, please send me a note.

First question, what exactly does 'city type pickup truck' mean?

Many years ago, when the earth was young but after the dinosaurs I worked in the Needles District and went into both Lavender and Davis Canyons as well as Beef Basin.

Beef Basin from 211 I remember as being a fairly decent road with only a couple of small stream crossings when we did it in an old Jeepster Commando. I remember there being some great rock art panels on the Beef Basin Rd if you know the kinds of places to look.

Davis and Lavender Canyons are similar to each other, frequent wash crossings Unless routing has changed) that could be interesting depending on recent rainfall. The sand could become quicksand like in the washes and the banks can be steep getting in and out as you cut across the meanders. Lavender has a nice arch high up on a cliff side and you can drive quite a ways in, Davis you stop driving at the park boundary and hike the rest of the way in.

Sorry you'll miss the gathering.

Bob

Haven't been to Davis or Lavender in quite a few years but my recollections are the same as Cayuse and nikonron's. We were in Beef Basin in 2013. In my experience (I have made the trip at least five times over the years), the road from 211 to BB is not bad with one caveat, watch the weather! When wet, the road becomes treacherous. The mud in this area is incredibly slick. You will have a difficult time just keeping your vehicle on the crown of the road and out of the ditches. BTW, the same holds true of the road into BB from Natural Bridges over the top of Bears Ears; it becomes very tough in the rain.

My city truck is a Dodge Dakota, with 4 wheel drive. Nothing added for off road driving except off road tires.

Yes, I've read the warnings about not trying to go to Beef Basin if it has rained. I've heard that it takes 2.5 hours to drive in. Is that true? I'm not sure of the length of the road but I think 2.5 hours is something like 10 mph.

Thanks for the info.

Any updates on road conditions? This is one of the areas we're looking at for our trip in May.

Fred

Back
Top Bottom