Water Tank Leak

captainphx

When I was replacing my batteries I found a water tank leak. So I removed the tank and called FWC. They sent me a new one free of charge! Fantastic! But they did tell me it would be one of the same size as mine...22 gallon. Unfortunately when it came it was a 20 gallon. I called them and they said it is all they have. 22 Gallons is such a small amount already, I just couldn't see going to the 20. So I had the 22 gallon one repaired and it is now re-installed.

IMG_3140.jpg

IMG_3139 copy.jpg

Not the best pic, but here it is re-installed after the repair

IMG_3251.jpg

I took it to a plastics welding shop. $45

BTW, FWC also sent me a new piece of birchwood to replace my warped one! I installed that after modifying it for a water sight gauge with my router, as posted by others on this forum. Thanks FWC!

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3304.jpg

Oh, and added some new carpet also.

IMG_3303.jpg

Nice repair job and mods!

Afraid I'm looking at having to do something similar to deal with a water system leak in the used Finch we bought a few weeks ago. We filled up the tank for the first time 10 days ago and took it out to the coast for a couple of days. When we cleaned up the camper at the end of the trip, the floor was completely dry, but a couple of days ago I happened to notice that the floor was all wet and it looked like water was getting onto the floor at the bottom left corner of the panel enclosing the tank. I drained the tank and pulled the top cabinet panel off. Now I'm waiting to hear back from Roy at FWC as to what else I need to do to pull the tank and get at the leak. It seems fairly apparent that I'll need to pull the cabinet front and the smaller panel attached to it that separates the tank compartment from the battery compartment (see picture below) in order to be able to slide the tank to the right from under the stove/sink cabinet. I don't want to damage any of the connections if I can help it, though.

If it's the tank that's leaking, I'll try to find someone in the area who welds plasti to get it fixed like you did.

1-IMG_4926.JPG

Well, my tank is leaking again. I have the camper all torn apart again to find the leak. It is leaking at the point where the fill line attaches to the grey plastic reverse barb nipple that screws into the tank. I bought a new green spiral water fill line from a local RV store and replaced the old one. Still leaking. I then removed the nipple from the tank. Close inspection shows that it appears NOT to have any nicks in it. Reinstalled everything, and still have the same issue. I am using a standard screw type hose clamp on it and clamping it tight. I've gotten it to slow considerably, but am unable to stop it completely. Next, I am thinking of replacing the nipple, even though I can't see anything wrong with it. Anyone have any other ideas/suggestions?

captainphx said:
Well, my tank is leaking again. I have the camper all torn apart again to find the leak. It is leaking at the point where the fill line attaches to the grey plastic reverse barb nipple that screws into the tank. I bought a new green spiral water fill line from a local RV store and replaced the old one. Still leaking. I then removed the nipple from the tank. Close inspection shows that it appears NOT to have any nicks in it. Reinstalled everything, and still have the same issue. I am using a standard screw type hose clamp on it and clamping it tight. I've gotten it to slow considerably, but am unable to stop it completely. Next, I am thinking of replacing the nipple, even though I can't see anything wrong with it. Anyone have any other ideas/suggestions?
Are the hose and nipple the right size for each other? I had to heat the hose up in hot water to get it to slide on. Once on, it felt like it didn't even need a clamp. Clamped it anyway.

Also, to get some clarity... when does it leak? While you are filling?

Vic Harder said:
Are the hose and nipple the right size for each other? I had to heat the hose up in hot water to get it to slide on. Once on, it felt like it didn't even need a clamp. Clamped it anyway.

Also, to get some clarity... when does it leak? While you are filling?
Well, it looks like it is the same size as the original. It is not that hard to slide on, though. I could try a smaller size.

It leaked badly during filling, although since I got the new hose I got it to slow considerably. And yes the fill line IS full after I am done filling. So, I could let a little water out after filling to stop it, but I hate to have any kind of water leak no matter how small. It is leaking at the rate of about 1 drop every 5 minutes.

Wondering if using some kind of silicon on the nipple might help.

May be better off going with a softer type hose such as Tygon tubing, also put a little pipe dope on the barbs of the nipple. Ron

The second & maybe, third barb ridge looks like it may have a small split in it. If so, you might want some sealant in the split.

Paul

Update...

Today I went to my local RV dealer and purchased a new nipple. The hose size I am using is the correct size. The next size smaller will in no way go onto the nipple. I talked to the mechanic there, and he said the best way to prevent leaks at this fitting is to, 1) double clamp it, where one clamp is on the flat part of the nipple and the other clamp is on the barbed part of the nipple, and, 2) use silicon sealant. Not just any sealant, but food grade sealant, a sealant that can be used around food and beverages. This is known as NSF type sealant.

I screwed in the new nipple with plumbers tape and then applied the sealant to both the inside of the hose and the outside of the nipple and double clamped. Now I will let it cure for 24 hours and then test. Will report back tomorrow.

BTW...the sealant is easy enough to find online if you have the time to wait for delivery. I found mine locally at Grainger. Home Depot and Lowes do not normally stock this but they can order it.

Below are a couple of pics:

IMG_3879.JPG

IMG_3880.JPG

I filled it this AM. Drove the truck around town awhile with a paper towel underneath all the fittings. Dry as bone for a few hours now. If this happens again, I will use the same tubing that Vic used.

captainphx said:
I filled it this AM. Drove the truck around town awhile with a paper towel underneath all the fittings. Dry as bone for a few hours now. If this happens again, I will use the same tubing that Vic used.

Good job! Glad you nailed it. Oh, your photos were outstanding and showed me a lot of what I always wondered about in that compartment and the install of the tank. Thanks.

Phil

Wallowa said:
Good job! Glad you nailed it. Oh, your photos were outstanding and showed me a lot of what I always wondered about in that compartment and the install of the tank. Thanks.

Phil
Glad it helped!

Capt....how much space from the rear board on the cabinet to the water tank? Also any "usable" space to the left end of the cabinet that would be accessible for installation of a louvered vent?

Still trying to get hot air from the furnace into the tank cabinet..."worst case" I guess would be cutting out a series of slots in that rear cabinet board like you have for your visual water level view or finding a vent or vents the thickness of that board.

Thanks,

Phil

Wallowa said:
Capt....how much space from the rear board on the cabinet to the water tank? Also any "usable" space to the left end of the cabinet that would be accessible for installation of a louvered vent?

Still trying to get hot air from the furnace into the tank cabinet..."worst case" I guess would be cutting out a series of slots in that rear cabinet board like you have for your visual water level view or finding a vent or vents the thickness of that board.

Thanks,

Phil
Phil,

Sorry it took me so long to answer. Been traveling. Regarding space from rear cabinet board to water tank...if you are talking about the board that I cut the sight gage in, then, it is about 1/4 inch when the tank is empty, but when it is full it is zero.

You could cuts slots in the left end of that part of the cabinet. There is approx 2 1/2 inches of space there.

captainphx said:
Phil,

Sorry it took me so long to answer. Been traveling. Regarding space from rear cabinet board to water tank...if you are talking about the board that I cut the sight gage in, then, it is about 1/4 inch when the tank is empty, but when it is full it is zero.

You could cuts slots in the left end of that part of the cabinet. There is approx 2 1/2 inches of space there.

Thanks will give it a look! Forgot tank is not rigid and will bow out when full.

Back
Top Bottom