Jersey Valley Nevada - May 2017

Interesting trip. The old navigation beacons are interesting and I seem to remeber another of your posts on them. Thanks for sharing a quick weekend get-away. jd

longhorn1 said:
Interesting trip. The old navigation beacons are interesting and I seem to remeber another of your posts on them. Thanks for sharing a quick weekend get-away. jd
Yes, it is so cool to learn about early air navigation for the air mail pilots and be able to visit the sites!

Hot springs, hot springs everywhere, but not a pool in which to soak...

I'm curious as to your mention of an acetylene tank missing. What was acetylene used for in those towers?

Thanks for sharing another adventure with us.

Another great report. The relative isolation of that nav tower is likely its salvation--bad guys are reliably lazy.

I love early aviation lore. My wife's maternal grandfather was a pioneering pilot. He learned to fly so long ago that his first flight training was in the Army Signal Corps as a balloonist. After WWI he barnstormed, flew lots of mail in the West, and became an early multi-engined jockey for the predecessor of TWA, which was TAT. Flying over the Rockies was not done with passengers back when he started, so the "airline" would fly to New Mexico and transfer westbound passengers to rail services to complete their transcontinental trip. Thus TAT became known derisively as "Take A Train". He crashed and crash-landed many times and surely flew the beacon lines more than a few times. Captain Fleet was well beyond combat service age in 1941 but volunteered to ferry aircraft all over the Lower 48 and late in the war flew VIPs on trans-Atlantic trips hopping from Ireland to Iceland and on down through Canada to the US. He retired in the early 1960s after flying Constellations over the pole from San Francisco to London as his regular TWA route for years.

Foy

Vic said:
great trip report - thank you - lots of unseen wonders in the Nevada backyard and I appreciate your time in blogging them. These make great resources to plan my own trips.
So much to see and discover out there! Thanks for the kind comment Vic. :)

GroovyDad said:
Hot springs, hot springs everywhere, but not a pool in which to soak...

I'm curious as to your mention of an acetylene tank missing. What was acetylene used for in those towers?

Thanks for sharing another adventure with us.
Mr. Groovy, the use of acetylene was interesting. Here is the information from the Airway Bulletin -

"Acetylene flashing beacon (blinker).- At some beacon sites, located in mountainous or desert country where it is impossible or impracticable to provide electric current, auxiliary airway beacons in the form of acetylene gas "blinkers" which operate without attendance for a period of several months, are installed. These blinkers exhibit a flashing white light (about 20 flashes per minute) and do not show a color or flashing code characteristic."

We find, even without soaking opportunities, these remote hot springs are pretty cool. I've just discovered information on another springs that, I hope, are as interesting as the description I received!

More and more remote geothermal resources are being exploited. TerraGen has set up a portable generation plant at the Dixie Valley Hot Springs. More changes......................

Jersey-Valley-Apr2017-098-copy.jpg

Foy said:
Another great report. The relative isolation of that nav tower is likely its salvation--bad guys are reliably lazy.

I love early aviation lore. My wife's maternal grandfather was a pioneering pilot. He learned to fly so long ago that his first flight training was in the Army Signal Corps as a balloonist. After WWI he barnstormed, flew lots of mail in the West, and became an early multi-engined jockey for the predecessor of TWA, which was TAT. Flying over the Rockies was not done with passengers back when he started, so the "airline" would fly to New Mexico and transfer westbound passengers to rail services to complete their transcontinental trip. Thus TAT became known derisively as "Take A Train". He crashed and crash-landed many times and surely flew the beacon lines more than a few times. Captain Fleet was well beyond combat service age in 1941 but volunteered to ferry aircraft all over the Lower 48 and late in the war flew VIPs on trans-Atlantic trips hopping from Ireland to Iceland and on down through Canada to the US. He retired in the early 1960s after flying Constellations over the pole from San Francisco to London as his regular TWA route for years.

Foy
Mr. Foy, what a great family story! Thanks for sharing. :)

Back
Top Bottom