Leaking 2001 Hawk

John22

Hello All! It’s been a while since I've posted. Last time I was preparing for a Baja adventure about a year ago. All is good with my refurbished camper with the annoying exception of some leaks at the leading edge corners and a little back on each side. Some Background: This unit has the funky stick goo on the seams/ Velcro presumably for waterproofing. I've managed to get most of that off with a variety of products, none really worked well with the exception of a small amount of brake cleaner on a rag. Last year I removed the front of the camper's exterior aluminum trim and carefully cleaned and resealed with a caulking Stan had recommended. The unit only leaks when driving in driving rain... This year I used some REI seam sealer on the interior seams. I did not want to seal the exterior seams (at the time) for cosmetic reason. Just a small amount of leak(s) in the unit. I have since sealed the exterior seams and have yet to fully test while driving in a downpour. My top has a pretty good sized gap between the lower half of the camper and the pop top rim. In some places the gap is as large as almost an inch (front port side), other places almost no gap at all. Is this large of a gap typical? My suspicion is that wind driven rain is finding its way into the folds of the flexible pop top fabric and leaking water into my camper from the seams. I was thinking about using duct tape to test this, if that is the source then installing some sort of gasket, tubing, something into that gap. Any input (well almost)from some of you 4wheel experts would be most welcome. Thanks, I'll try to post some picture of the gap and maybe even torture ya'll with some Baja pics.

Attachments

• P3040028.JPG
    P3040028.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 277
  • P3040030.JPG
    P3040030.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 291
  • P3040031.JPG
    P3040031.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 304
  • P3040034.JPG
    P3040034.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 252
Welcome John,
My 03 Hawk seems to leak a bit when driving in the rain too, something I never knew since we haven't actually had rain in Socal since I've had my camper until this year. I only notice it in the front two corners but worry it may be getting wet behind the front wall too (probably not good for the wood mildew wise). While I don't have a solution I will definintely be watching this thread. My suspicion is also that it is from wind driven rain working it's way in. But I have also heard of folks replacing the screws around the outer leading edge and re-siliconing them for leaks. My lack of concern has been that it isn't really alot of water getting in, an easy wipe with a towl and i'm good. How much water are you getting in you camper?

As for the inch gap you speak of, that seems a bit much to me. Do your clamps seem tight enough?

Oh, and since you brought up the Baja pics you are pretty much obligated now
biggrin.gif
Post 'em up!

Hi John,

There shouldn't be any gap between the top's trim and the camper's walls. In fact, the top should overhang the walls by a bit.

Are your clamps tight enough? Or is your top perhaps bent in some way?

You might talk with Stan. At this years show I saw they now have a rubber seal that goes around the front and part way back on each side. It is suppose to be for the problem you are having with the driving rain. Looked like a simple rubber type seal that you could apply yourself.

You might talk with Stan. At this years show I saw they now have a rubber seal that goes around the front and part way back on each side. It is suppose to be for the problem you are having with the driving rain. Looked like a simple rubber type seal that you could apply yourself.

Yup! Wish I had a better pic gents but the green arrows point to the gasket that is now attached on the front of the campers to prohibit water getting in while driving in a torrential rain. john22, your gap sounds atypical to me.

801879956_kBKnY-O.jpg

Wow you guys are on it! The top is plenty secure with the cam cleats. The gap is a horizontal gap because the top is is apparenty slightly out of square and oversized with the bottom half of the camper. The screws at the aluminum trim (top rim of camper) were carefully removed and replaced with new units and secured with a dab of sealant. It seems Sunman has experience some leaking/ dampness as well. To answer sunman's question regarding how much leaking: Last time out was about 3 hours in steady rain and I would estimate overall between a half a cup and 3/4 of a cup of water - kinda hard to say my sheets were wet at the corners and near a window. From what I've read in the forums the year Hawk I have may not have been at a quality high point and some attempts using new materials were tried.

OK now what is the easist way to post some pics? I tried attaching a single photo and it would not go through apparently due to file size. I am sure there are posts/ directions someplace here but have not found it yet. Thanks and keep those fixes coming my way! :rolleyes:

OK now what is the easist way to post some pics? I tried attaching a single photo and it would not go through apparently due to file size. I am sure there are posts/ directions someplace here but have not found it yet. Thanks and keep those fixes coming my way! :rolleyes:

You can start at this link for picture posting information:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2349/

John22:

I have a 2001 Hawk shell and was getting leaks here in seattle. As you may guess, a major bummer since it rains so much. You are right, driving rain is a lot of the problem. When I first got the camper used, i would get some water inside the front corners after a long drive in rain. Wasn't a lot but was a bummer. I found a few things that helped.

First, tightening the screws on the edges helped a lot. This includes the screws on the roof. I did not have to seal them again, just tighten. Maybe I was lucky. I have the Yakima tracks up there, and the screws for that were loose so I tighted and sealed those. Helped more. Then I found the windows, if not sealed nice and smooth at the velcro would often let in some water as well.

For a while, I kept some deflated thermarests on the bed, even with the top down. when I removed them so the top fit better, I got even less water.

Lastly, I put a yakima rack and basket on top of the cab of the truck, complete with fairing to get the wind up and over the load and camper. A little less noise, but water problems really don't bother me much when driving now. Amazing.

Funny, though, if I park the camper just right, with the front just a bit downhill and the passenger side just a little high, I will get some water in on the corner at the front driver side. I know, because one night it dripped on me! This one I have yet to figure out, but my guess is that there is a loose screw or not so tight seam up there. I try to avoid this parking config now, but it does nag at me. No problem with snow!!

Let us know what works. These little things drive me crazy.

Then, last fall, the fantastic vent started leaking. Only happens when I park with the front slightly down. It is a slow drip the kills me when I sit on the couch reading or something. Never happens when driving or other positions. One day I will remove the fan and reseal it. Just need more hours in the day.

dave in Seattle

KC and/or Stan

Is that gasket something that can easily be retrofitted to an existing camper? Hard to tell how it is mounted in the photo.

Thanks.

I DIY'd my own with 'P' gasket, like the new rigs. I removed a few screws at a time around the edge banding and slid the gasket behind the banding, then tightened some screws and moved to the next set. Loosen nine screws, tighten the first six, loosen six more, ..., all the way from the passenger side around the front to the driver's side. I used P gasket left over from a long ago project.

I DIY'd my own with 'P' gasket, like the new rigs. I removed a few screws at a time around the edge banding and slid the gasket behind the banding, then tightened some screws and moved to the next set. Loosen nine screws, tighten the first six, loosen six more, ..., all the way from the passenger side around the front to the driver's side. I used P gasket left over from a long ago project.

Mark, what is a "P" gasket? Did you slide the gasket behind the lower black banding as in kc's photos?

Finally I got some photos up that show the gap. These are taken with the turnbuckle cams tightened. Most of the perimeter of the top is pretty close. BTW I have pretty fat fingers, ok large.

Mark this sounds like a good solution. I kinda hate to take the scews loose at the trim after recently having cleaned and resealed but... Do you have a source, specifications or photo of the material you used or would recommend? Thanks guys!

Attachments

• P3040028.JPG
    P3040028.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 187
  • P3040030.JPG
    P3040030.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 222
  • P3040031.JPG
    P3040031.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 212
  • P3040034.JPG
    P3040034.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 170
Finally I got some photos up that show the gap. These are taken with the turnbuckle cams tightened. Most of the perimeter of the top is pretty close. BTW I have pretty fat fingers, ok large.

John,

Your gap seems slightly larger than on my ATC, but I'm not sure it is excessively so. I've had water, dirt, bugs and snow blow into the front liner while driving with the pop up down, but so far no leaks

Just a quick question: Does your camper have that small cabinet over the couch? If the pop-up liner sags into the interior when down, water can collect in the sag. The cabinets over the couch (and the counter on the other side) hold the liner material up and help prevent that water-collecting sag.

John,

Your gap seems slightly larger than on my ATC, but I'm not sure it is excessively so. I've had water, dirt, bugs and snow blow into the front liner while driving with the pop up down, but so far no leaks

Just a quick question: Does your camper have that small cabinet over the couch? If the pop-up liner sags into the interior when down, water can collect in the sag. The cabinets over the couch (and the counter on the other side) hold the liner material up and help prevent that water-collecting sag.

Yes it does have cabinets, and countertops but I installed them and modified them. They do indeed hold the material up a bit but I've never had any signs of leak near the cabinets/ above couch. The leaks are at the front corners and near the starboard front edge of a window - unfortunately where I sleep!

John,
Your gap doesn't look much bigger than mine (depending how fat your fingers really are!). Mark does seem to have a pretty good solution (as he usually does), I'm just not sure I'm bothered enough by the issue to pursue the fix. I'll be curious to know what path you eventually take.

The unit only leaks when driving in driving rain... This year I used some REI seam sealer on the interior seams. I did not want to seal the exterior seams (at the time) for cosmetic reason. I have since sealed the exterior seams and have yet to fully test while driving in a downpour.

Hi John,

A few years ago I asked the guys at ATC about sealing the stitching around the window and window flaps of the pop-up liner of my unit because I thought they might leak. (Having owned many tents, I knew all that exposed stitching was a weak spot; however, so far no leaks.) Anyway, ATC recommended using vinyl sealant. I believe that REI sealent is for nylon. Although I'm not sure what the differences are, perhaps the REI sealant is not sticking to the camper's fabric enough for a good, leak-proof seal.

Just aother thought.

For the record, bugs, dirt, sand, grit, snow and rain all blow onto the front area of the my unit's liner when it's folded down and I'm driving. I know this because they tend to stick to or fall off the front when it's lifted up.

Hi John,

A few years ago I asked the guys at ATC about sealing the stitching around the window and window flaps of the pop-up liner of my unit because I thought they might leak. (Having owned many tents, I knew all that exposed stitching was a weak spot; however, so far no leaks.) Anyway, ATC recommended using vinyl sealant. I believe that REI sealent is for nylon. Although I'm not sure what the differences are, perhaps the REI sealant is not sticking to the camper's fabric enough for a good, leak-proof seal.

Just aother thought.

For the record, bugs, dirt, sand, grit, snow and rain all blow onto the front area of the my unit's liner when it's folded down and I'm driving. I know this because they tend to stick to or fall off the front when it's lifted up.

Thanks Stew for your thoughts on this. The stuff I got from REI did say vinyl, it seems to have stuck to the seams and the material. The thing I did not do is seal all of the seams, which I have since done. I have not had a chance to drive while raining hard to test it. I still think preventing water (sand, bugs, etc.) from getting under that lip in the first place is still a good idea. I found a source for the P gaskets in MI. www.simolexrubber.com but have not picked out the specific shape. They look like they have a wide variety of choices. I'll keep you posted. John

<snip>Mark ... [d]o you have a source, specifications or photo of the material you used or would recommend?<snip>

We're not home right now, but I'll get that when I can.

I have had a couple of leaks this spring in my mid 80 FWC and think that I finally figured it out this weekend. I thought it might be the screws but upon further investigation the silicone seal I had between the top trim piece that wraps around the top of the camper and the top itself had a couple of spots where it had pulled away from the trim, so I decided to re-caulk it and do the screws at the same time. I took the screws off the trim on the front of the camper and pulled the trim away a little to clean it and lo and behold the top of the canvas side panels of the camper were not underneath the metal roofing like I assumed they were but are on top of it. This means that any water that gets in between the metal trim and the camper roof has a very good chance of getting into the camper itself.
It looks to me like this is the way it came from the factory and this is not good. Anytime you have to rely on caulking for a seal you are going to have problems. I hope the new campers are made with the canvas under the metal roof edge. For now I caulked it with some RTV silicone but down the road I think I will try to slip some thin narrow strips of aluminum underneath the edge of the roofing and lays over the top of the canvas. That should take care of the problem. I would rather rely on gravity than caulking any day.
Has anyone else seen this on their campers? I would be interested in hearing if they still make them that way.

Back
Top Bottom