Truck pop up campers are now griz approved

rotti

Apparently a rule change, I hadn't seen this before.

I camped there last year just after the incident. Had to curl up in the back of my Tahoe.

Griz

The forest is allowing hard-sided vehicles made of metal or strong composite plastic to be used at the three campgrounds. Truck-box campers that have a 4-foot high hard side, in addition to a raised upper section, are permissible, but tents and pop-up campers are excluded, as is camping without a shelter.

Attachments

• griz sign CG.jpg
    griz sign CG.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 542
"Truck-box campers that have a 4-foot high hard side, in addition to a raised upper section, are permissible, but tents and pop-up campers are excluded, as is camping without a shelter."

The thread title says "Truck pop-up campers are now griz-approved"....So, when the quote says "pop-up campers are excluded [i.e., not permitted]", they're not referring to our kind of pop-up campers?
Are they instead referring to what's also known as "tent trailers", or...?
blink.gif

As I understand it FWC truck campers are OK (hard sided to at least four feet off the ground). Mine measured at least 6 or 7' to fabric. The hard side itself is 58" with the top down.

Pop up trailers not OK, fabric less than four feet from the ground.

A hard side is no guarantee especially with bacon, maybe just slow em down a bit till you can get to your bear spray or cannon.

Attachments

• Bear and RV entry.jpg
    Bear and RV entry.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,812
I haven't camped in grizzly country for over 10 years, when I spent a few nights in Glacier NP. This was back in the tent era for me, but I slept in the back of the canopy-covered truck in places where the no-tent rule was enforced.

Before I bought my FWC it definitely crossed my mind, wondering if I'd be able to camp in those grizzly parks with it -- with the top raised at least. But I decided that since I hardly ever go to those regions that it would be an acceptable downside.
I'm mostly a desert rat, so it hasn't been an issue for me.

Well, since black bears in Yosemite are skilled in peeling open car doors, I can imagine a grizzly would have no problem ripping the door off my FWC. I guess they just haven't had to learn the skill, yet.

bear_damage.jpg

Well, since black bears in Yosemite are skilled in peeling open car doors, I can imagine a grizzly would have no problem ripping the door off my FWC. I guess they just haven't had to learn the skill, yet.

View attachment 12249

Yikes!
ohmy.gif

And good point -- grizzly aren't the only species that can do damage.
Yosemite and elsewhere still permit soft-side camping around black bears, don't they?

A few years back, my sis and I stayed in canvas wall tents in Curry village. Black bears wandered through the area during the night looking for scraps, and brushed against the tents, but didn't try to get in. Of course there were all kinds of warnings about using the bear boxes for anything with a scent. The worst pests were the noisy neighbors. Curry is too crowded for me.

Camped in the main valley in my TrailBlazer tent trailer several years ago. No objections from the camp host or the Rangers. Just no food even near the tent and was advised to remove ALL food from the Suburban.

A gal next to a friend of mine that same trip had a loaf of bread stolen by a bear, from literally behind her back. Pulls said loaf out of the locker and set it on the table. Turns back around to get more sammich makin's out the locker and SWOOSH!!! thru comes a bear grabbing the loaf and is gone before she could turn around. My friend watched all go down. This in a camp ground full of people and screaming kids. No idea where the bear was hiding or where it went to.

I think that I'll just not bother with Yosemite any more. Too many people there anyway.

Took this a couple of weeks ago in the Yukon. Looks like this is going to become much more common.
We saw over 20 bears in one day on the Stewart Cassiar Hy. mid June. Mostly black but a few grizzlies,they
even seem to pose for the camera.
and I like bacon but in this country.....

Attachments

• P1000558.jpg
    P1000558.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 358
  • P1000107.jpg
    P1000107.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 348
One of the things that scares the bacon out of me is not being at the top of the food chain. Last year when I drove to Alaska I wasn't to happy I had to leave my bear spray at home. That being said, while seeing many bears not once did I feel they where a threat.

mike

One of the things that scares the bacon out of me is not being at the top of the food chain. Last year when I drove to Alaska I wasn't to happy I had to leave my bear spray at home. That being said, while seeing many bears not once did I feel they where a threat.

mike

We tend to be more concerned with bears at places like Yosemite than at Yellowstone or Alaska.In california there are just too many bears around.I talked with a fish and game guy last week.We discussed this problem.Seems like there about 3 times the historical number of bears here but only about 1700 are allowed to be hunted per year.
Places like Yosemite need to get tuff with the problem bears that have been habitilized (sp) to humans like Yellowstone has done over the years,even if it means that the problem ones need to be killed,and campers maybe need to be more educated. Juct saying "IMO"

Sorry for the soap box.

Frank

We tend to be more concerned with bears at places like Yosemite than at Yellowstone or Alaska.In california there are just too many bears around.I talked with a fish and game guy last week.We discussed this problem.Seems like there about 3 times the historical number of bears here but only about 1700 are allowed to be hunted per year.
Places like Yosemite need to get tuff with the problem bears that have been habitilized (sp) to humans like Yellowstone has done over the years,even if it means that the problem ones need to be killed,and campers maybe need to be more educated. Juct saying "IMO"

Sorry for the soap box.

Frank

Can you clarify a couple of things for me?

Did the Fish and Game guy say the "3 times the historical number" was for all areas of California or just around heavily visited areas like Yosemite, or in federal land or ???

Did this number take into account the huge loss of habitat to urbanization? What I mean by that is, has the total bear population gone up 3 times in California, or has the bear density gone up because of habitat loss and human overpopulation?

Can you clarify a couple of things for me?

Did the Fish and Game guy say the "3 times the historical number" was for all areas of California or just around heavily visited areas like Yosemite, or in federal land or ???

Did this number take into account the huge loss of habitat to urbanization? What I mean by that is, has the total bear population gone up 3 times in California, or has the bear density gone up because of habitat loss and human overpopulation?

Of course there has been a lot of lost habitat here in California and other things that account for the problems.I believe the reference is for California total. The amount of bears seems to have tripled over the years. I seem to have seen something about the number going from 10k to about 30k and that is about what the fish and game guy felt. Don't know how long of a time period that has accrued over.I am not trying to put numbers out there but what with more people in the bear area and easier pickings for them may have an effect on the run-ins with people.We are seeing bears in places they haven't been seen in a long time.Yosemite is a bad place.So many people and lots of forgetful food items left out.

Frank

Hmmm. Well there are over 37 million residents of California, with a growth rate of 10 percent over the last decade. I guess I respectfully disagree that the solution to the bear problem is to kill more bears.

On a related note, I am interested in doing the seven day guided hike of the Yosemite high country. It's so popular that there's a lottery for that, much like the draws for hunting. I think we have to expect more of that kind of thing in our future. I hate the idea of my probably being denied this activity, but preservation of the wild places in an overpopulated world is more important than my personal gratification. Sigh.

OK, apologies for the hijack and me getting on my soapbox. Now, back to our regularly scheduled program of bears ripping up tents.

Hmmm. Well there are over 37 million residents of California, with a growth rate of 10 percent over the last decade. I guess I respectfully disagree that the solution to the bear problem is to kill more bears.

X2. A friend of mine had a bumper sticker, "Support the right to arm bears!"
biggrin.gif
An oldie but a goody.

I'm surprised we never have bears at antelope lake. You should see the amount of food thats left out overnight. Maybe because its the "boys" trip, we mark our territory really well :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom