Resize Floor Pac - Keystone Build

tk254254

Advanced Member
Well, I promised I would post photos. As many are aware, older FWC will not fit a modern pickup. This project was easier than I thought it would be. To summarize, 45 minutes to demo, 11 hours total to re-ply the floor pack.

On the older Keystone, the passenger side is a no-brainer. Would only take a few hours. The driver side has all the wiring and plumbing. But the good news, it can just be moved over. I shifted both sides in 3" for a total of 6" reduction. The way to make this project easiest, is to re-use the first "ledge" of plywood and just scab on an extension.

I started it out in my garage on an emptied drift boat trailer, but I would recommend putting it on a slight lift right on the floor so that everything stays square during "re-pack".

If you are handy, you can do this project. If you need much explanation, then it's a good sign that it's too much of a project. That would be my most honest summary.

Attachments

• IMG_2488.JPG
    IMG_2488.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_2491.JPG
    IMG_2491.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_2495.JPG
    IMG_2495.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 390
Anyone know how to program / use this clock - timer thing??????

One thing I should also add, is that this camper's wiring was still intact. But realistically, a lot of the wire would normally need replacement as the connectors were pretty flimsy.

Attachments

• IMG_2490.JPG
    IMG_2490.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 243
I take it since it was a keystone you didn't need to bother reworking the back frame which is where the aluminum work would come into play for most other campers?

I take it since it was a keystone you didn't need to bother reworking the back frame which is where the aluminum work would come into play for most other campers?

The aluminum work you speak of is in the front, but not the back (past the bed but it is there). Having said that, the little piece of aluminum everyone is scared of is essentially just sitting there to have something to screw the siding into. Structurally, it isn't accomplishing much and in fact fell out (unwelded) on one of the sides. If folks are intimidated by welding, they should just rivet it back in place with some thin aluminum sheet they can get in the flashing section of home depot etc. The next "tier" is what is taking weight.

Attachments

• IMG_2484.JPG
    IMG_2484.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 259
The aluminum work you speak of is in the front, but not the back (past the bed but it is there).

Not it's in the back on the other campers assuming you have a hawk in a short box truck and a grandby in a long box truck. The rear frame is too wide and it's either in or not far from being inline with the tailgate width and would need to be addressed. Since the keystone is inherently going to have it's back part always behind the truck it pretty much limits the rework to the wood portion as you've found.

Roger. I just wanted to make that clear for anyone referencing this thread down the line thinking of doing the same thing. Those will require the bit more of frame/sideing work at the rear of the camper. :)

Well, finally got to use the keystone on a long family trip. Wow, it couldn't have worked out better. Love this thing and now I plan on leaving it on the pickup all summer. So light I don't hardly feel it on there.

Attachments

• IMG_2784.jpg
    IMG_2784.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_2835.jpg
    IMG_2835.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 282
Nice work on the rebuild tk!

Although we have different choices in trucks and campers, your second photo resembled my travels last week. Truck, camper, Clackacraft and in my case dog in front seat, great fishing and beautiful weather. Can't get better than that. The salmonfly hatch is winding down here shortly, but another great dry fly year....big fish rising to big sofa pillows!

Good camping,

Paul

Nice work on the rebuild tk!

Although we have different choices in trucks and campers, your second photo resembled my travels last week. Truck, camper, Clackacraft and in my case dog in front seat,

Nice! Before the kids and ensuing trout pond trips, that boat lived on the lower deschutes casting doublehanders to steelhead. Soon.... Soon....

Nice! Before the kids and ensuing trout pond trips, that boat lived on the lower deschutes casting doublehanders to steelhead. Soon.... Soon....

I hear ya, tk. Now that my daughter is driving and more interested in fashion, friends and uh, boys, :oops: I can only hope that she someday says, "Hey dad, lets go on a float trip and do some fly fishing this week". That will make all of those fun, instructional trips we took when she was young well worth it.

Good Camping,

Paul

Back
Top Bottom