FWC Mattress Contribution

RC Pilot Jim

For the past 8 years we have been camping in a Flip Pac. The 3 " mattress gave NO support. I was using a Cabella's 4" self-enflatable on top, but my 68 year old knee joints were having problems rolling it up.

I went to a local upholstery store, described my needs and bought a 3" thick # HR 41 close cell foam pad for $210.00 and put in the mattress cover. What a difference - I weigh 230#'s, my wife weighs 130# and it feels like we are sleeping on our pillow top mattress at home. I've camped in 25* weather and 100* weather. There is no heat loss in wintertime yet we don't sweat in summer.

The upholstery shop had samples of the various types of foam available. The type they use in the Flip Pac was designed for protecting instruments in packing crates.

I finally saved enough quarters and ordered a new Eagle shell for my 1999 Tacoma 4 cylinder 4WD - March 23rd.

My first stop after taking delivery of my new Eagle will be the upholstery shop. If foam isn't close to HR 41 I'm gong to swap it out.

I can appreciate what your saying. It wasn't too many nights in our new FWC Hawk before I visited the local shop that sells foam and bought a new piece to replace the one provided in matress by FWC. Have been sleeping fine ever since.

dear Baja Explorer, thanks for your input.
I discussed my mattress support adventures with Stan at 4Wheel. He wanted to be kept in the loop. Based on your feed
back it appears that I will be replacing the mattress foam.

Jim

The foam shop I went to said the FWC foam was of low quality. I'm not sure if there would be a lot of comfort difference between high and low quality 2" foam. It's just not thick enough to stop hip and shoulder pressure points from hitting plywood.

I'm from San Diego, and I might be visiting this summer, what is the name of the shop you got the foam, was if UFO by any chance?

Thanks,

Dave

Also see my post in another thread on this:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4951/page__view__findpost__p__65928

Dave,
You should be able to purchase the foam I referred to in any upholstery shop, If you can't locate it in your area, ssend me an email and I will look it up for you.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom