camper insurance

coguzzi

Advanced Member
i searched, but looking for some current info and maybe CO specific. of course i got my new '13 HAWK last week. i called my insurance guy to get some coverage on it, just worried about someone rear ending me mostly, or coverage in some kind of accident. I was expecting not mush $ for coverage as "cargo" in the truck, and homeowners coverage when its in the garage.

NO, im quoted $48 a month to cover it with my typical American Family Insurance. JEEZ, thats more than i paid for the 4x4 Ford diesel van i sold to save money with the camper!!!!! dont seem right does it? i mean the van actually was self propelled and all! my average motorcycle cost is less than that for 1 YEAR (except the 1 sport bike i have--ouch)

so, what are people paying, what kind of coverage or loop holes you found?

My insurance didn't go up at all and the camper is covered by the auto policy whether in the truck or in the drive way. I've seen others that have said their insurance actually went down.

I called my insurance company, USAA, before I picked up my camper to check and the agent said there would be no increase. When I called to tell them I'd actually picked up the camper the agent was new and started to charge me. I told her to get someone who had experience with truck campers to help her. I'm in CA so don't know if that makes a difference.

I'm in CO and for my '12 Hawk it is $108 per year with a $500 deductible thru Auto Owners Insurance.
Let me know if you need a new agent.

I have coverage on the camper itself. I think it is about $16 a month for 14k of coverage, if I remember correctly.

Getting the camper covered was a bit odd, as most places would cover a trailer but not a truck camper.

I think I pay an extra $80/yr in CO. Perhaps the person who added the coverage didn't understand what type of camper you're insuring? Other people have had to send a picture of their camper because a phone rep didn't understand what they were talking about.

Mine is covered under the auto policy when it is on the truck and under the house policy when it is in the garage. No specific additional charge, although an additional cost may be buried in the premiums. I had to provide photos, statement of origin and the serial number. It did take some conversation with the agent for them to understand what it was (hence the photos). As I remember, it seems like the fact that it rode in the truck and did not have separate wheels was important.

I've been on the phone with my agent's assistant as well as the agent himself probably 7 times, and i am actually one of there best customers and know me by name when i call (policies are constantly changing but usually 3 cars and 10 motorbikes is pretty consistant--relax, some are scooters).

he tells me it is NOT covered by the truck with all the research he has done, which i find very hard to believe since it is bolted to it. i even played the card of, "what if i never told you about it and i made a claim", said it was not covered. maybe its just American Family, and maybe i need to look elsewhere for my huge amount of polices (or at least my truck/camper) my thinking is it SHOULD be covered by truck insurance and home owners when off the truck.

When I had my hardside camper my insurance company just put a "Rider" on the auto policy to cover it when it was on the truck. Homeowners covered it when it was at home. There was no additional cost. My insurance company is State Farm.

I had to go a few rounds with my agent till they understood, sorta, what the camper was. Since I have a 2000, I made sure to note the amount of money I wanted the policy for since pricing guides are completely out of line with the resale value on these.

I'm sure it'll be fun to try and get a policy for my homebuilt one... if I can at all.

For more discussion/input/info on this topic, check out these previously-posted WTW Topics from 2012 on the same subject:

Camper insurance

Truck Camper Insurance

As I posted last year in the TCI thread above (but I'll repeat myself here
tongue.gif
):
I rolled and totaled my truck-and-camper in 1999. State Farm graciously covered the nearly-new truck, bought me a new one, but said "sorry charlie" about the uncovered camper.
sad.gif
ohmy.gif
sad.gif
A total loss of the 3-month-old camper. So, FWIW, State Farm in Oregon (at least, in 1999) does NOT consider a camper as just another truck accessory that is automatically covered. Live and learn...I have.

Since I have a 2000, I made sure to note the amount of money I wanted the policy for since pricing guides are completely out of line with the resale value on these.

This is a very good point.

The book value on these campers is really low, and that is why sometimes you can find them for a steal from a camper dealer that does not know how they hold value. Anyway, make sure you tell your agent what you want the value of the camper to be, otherwise they might put only 2-3k on it.

Back
Top Bottom