Faulty Solenoid Install

menoco

Advanced Member
I have a 2010 Toyota Tundra with a 2002 FWC Hawk, Bought Hawk used near end of last year. When I put on truck, I didn’t know I needed a solenoid and isolator. Learned that lesson when woke up one morning a couple of weeks ago with camper and truck battery both drained.

Did belated research at WTW. I am electronically-challenged, so I took rig to a local RV shop to install solenoid. (Actually it’s a winter snowmobile-summer RV outfit.) From several excellent threads on WTW, asked about constant duty solenoid, such as the Blue Seas ACR. Never heard of that. So, yesterday installed the only solenoid they had.

Picked up truck at closing time, as I drove away, noticed that 3 instrument warning lights were lit up 1) slip indicator, 2) check engine, and 3) 4LO. Despite reading and re-reading Tundra manual, never have understood slip indicator-VSC-TRAC, nor what the light could be warning. Check engine light can mean many things. But I know the truck is not in 4-wheel drive, let alone 4-low. Warning lights are constant, not flashing.

Is there a reset? Is there a larger problem than lights or sensors? photo of what installed below.

Please don’t suggest I take back to RV shop. Trust WTW, rather than off-season RV op.

Thanks amigos.

Attachments

• 2013_05_24_LX5_0839-Solenoid Install 72x900.jpg
    2013_05_24_LX5_0839-Solenoid Install 72x900.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 138
I know if the voltage falls low on a vehicle electrical system it can cause lights to go off. You said you drained out both batteries a few weeks ago, have you FULLY charged them up yet? I'm wondering if your truck battery is perhaps either still rather low and/or damaged from being totally drained and now that the camper batteries are connected and drawing its pulling down the system voltage too much. Just one initial thought.

On the solenoid I'm not sure off hand if the control wiring (two smaller studs) make a difference which one is ground or not and if so which one is which, since I don't have one of those.

On charging, yes fully charged. Pulled camper battery and gave it a overnight slow charge. Truck battery seems perfect And all this started immediately after solenoid installed.

Truck cured itself. Really. After about 20 miles and stopping and restarting a dozen times, the instrument lights went out. All 3 at same time. I didn't do anything. Maybe it was the truck battery charging to that level. Whatever, problem gone. Going to be so nice leaving tomorrow for 2 week roadtrip and not face those warning lights.
Thanks for suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom