Oregon License - inquiring minds need to know

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
Looking at Oregon regs, my Granby will need to be licensed. Basically, it's permanent sleeping and kitchen, and over 55 inches that drive the requirement.

Out of curiosity, how many folks are doing that? I wonder if I could get away with calling the bed a non-permanent sleeping arrangement, as the top would need to be raised. I guess I could call it a storage area, too. The roll over sofa isn't permanent either.

Actually, I am at this time planning on a license, but my devious inquiring mind has a need to know. Anyone ever get a ticket, or get challenged by an over zealous LEO?

My Bet Is You'll Never Have An Issue, Unless You Financed It. Those Who Payed Cash Would Never Have To Appease Anybody Like The Bank, Who'll Want To Know About Licensing And Insurance Requirements Being Fulfilled.

Oregon Doesn't Have Any Over Zealous LEO's Anyway! ! !

If I Could Get Around Licensing My Rig I'd Do It Without Hesitation.

When I first got my camper (here in Oregon) I got a license plate for it...which I never mounted, but that's another story.
Then I didn't renew it and just hoped I wouldn't get caught.

Then I found this section of the Oregon DMV website that defines a camper. The key point is:
A camper is a structure that:
f) Is 5.5 feet or more in height from floor to ceiling at any point;

My/our camper is less than 5.5 feet in height when it's on the road. So, it's not a camper requiring a license as defined by this section. I guess it's the equivalent of a pickup canopy/cap.
Now I no longer fear the long arm of the law. ;)

I just reread the requirements of Oregon DMV, and the specs for the Granby. I believe that I mistook 5.5 feet for 55 inches. The Granby is: Height Down (including vent): 59 (most trucks). This is a moot point. Unless math has changed, 5.5 feet is 65 inches, so the 59 inch Granby is just fine.

Apologies for stirring the pot.

MarkBC said:
When I first got my camper (here in Oregon) I got a license plate for it...which I never mounted, but that's another story.
Then I didn't renew it and just hoped I wouldn't get caught.

Then I found this section of the Oregon DMV website that defines a camper. The key point is:
A camper is a structure that:
f) Is 5.5 feet or more in height from floor to ceiling at any point;

My/our camper is less than 5.5 feet in height when it's on the road. So, it's not a camper requiring a license as defined by this section. I guess it's the equivalent of a pickup canopy/cap.
Now I no longer fear the long arm of the law. ;)
I believe that is the same here in Washington but with the exception of "when fully extended or raised" added in to it.

LuckyDan said:
Thank you Mr. BC for providing the the DMV link.
Well...the obvious, literal, reading of Oregon DMV's definition of a license-requiring camper would be that a low pop-up like ours is exempt. But I don't know if that's how they actually enforce it.
I do know that I've driven without a license plate on my camper in Oregon for 8 years and never had a cop stop me about it.

Mine is not registered either and wasn't by the previous owner. Financing is the kicker as the bank will want a lien holder on the title so to get a title, you gotta license it. When I bought mine I was going to finance it but then didn't want to mess with it. In the past, it seems like if it had gas, it needed to be licensed but obviously that isn't the case anymore.

My only comment is the referenced page doesn't say a "camper" must meet all of the listed criteria. The assumption is that you must meet all criteria, which we don't. Yay! :)

Back
Top Bottom