Our 2014 Fleet Shell Build Out

billharr said:
Service like this is why I love FWC. We will all wonder what the problem was, but we have no question that FWC took care of it beyond what other companies would do. Not at all like this Expo my Taco thread.
I've followed that thread from the beginning. In my opinion, Phoenix continues to shoot their brand in the foot! The first rule of digging holes states "When you find yourself at the bottom of the hole, stop digging."

Thanks for the feedback Tim.

We here at FWC all very happy, that you are happy.

Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any other questions or concerns.

I will be heading down to So Cal (Del Mar Show) on Monday afternoon if you need me to bring anything.

(doubt you will though)

Have fun building out the new camper.

I will be watching your thread as you continue your build it out & start your adventures.

Happy Camping !

:)

That expo thread isn't exactly encouraging. I know it frustrates some people that FWC doesn't like to do custom work but the benefit is much greater quality control.

There were some sloppy welds on Tim's camper.

Nothing structural, but not up to par on what they normally look like.

We have been improving our welds and adding more welds.

Tom will probably make a short video one of these days on how we are welding the frame.

In the end Tim was not happy and it was the right thing to do to fix it for him.

We have learned a few things and improvements will come out of it.

FWC Customers Rock!

: )

Stan thanks for letting us know what the problem was.

This is why I like FWC as a business. They stepped up took care of the customer with a problem and then let us on WTW know what it was.

billharr said:
Stan thanks for letting us know what the problem was.

This is why I like FWC as a business. They stepped up took care of the customer with a problem and then let us on WTW know what it was.
I wish that FWC would take the same level of responsibility with broken wires behind the front lift panels. I like FWC, but after half a dozen emails with them about a known problem, they never did take responsibility.

-------sorry for the off topic comment----------

I think it is admirable that FWC stepped up and offered to build a new one, but how did it make it out of the factory in the first place? And if the welds did not compromise the structure, why is FWC building the Captm a new camper? This is disturbing to me because the panels needed to be removed to expose the sloppy welds, which must have been more than sloppy if Captm felt compelled to return it.

I'm am seriously considering an FWC camper, but this really bothers me and I've got serious second thoughts. Why is FWC building a new camper if the welds didn't structurally compromise the camper? How did the first one get out of the factory without anyone noticing? How do I know if my camper will be ok without taking the panels down?

Sorry for all the questions but I am hoping FWC can provide more information that will make me feel like everything is really out in the open and I can be confident in buying a FWC.

If you can, feel free to come visit our factory.

We can show you how we do things.

Most days there will be 2 - 4 random customer camper frames you can look at.

Our welds are good, the campers are strong.

But human beings build our campers and each camper is hand built.

In the 12 years I have worked for FWC, i cant remember redoing a new camper.

If the customer is not excited and not happy with our campers when shopping around for a new camper, we highly recommended they check out other alternatives. It probably good to check out all of the campers anyway.

We try our best to build really good campers and strive for happy customers.

FWC did change how they run the front lift panels a while back.

We are seeing a few older campers each year here that have had the wires split behind the front lift panel.

For the most part it is an easy fix.

I will see if I can't put something together in a couple weeks when I get back from the show.

Thanks for mentioning it.

The way the wires are run these days should keep it from happening on the newer campers.

We are always trying to make improvements.

I will try and get copies of your emails and post some wiring info for everyone.

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------

Lighthawk said:
I wish that FWC would take the same level of responsibility with broken wires behind the front lift panels. I like FWC, but after half a dozen emails with them about a known problem, they never did take responsibility.

-------sorry for the off topic comment----------

CaptM - I'm thinking about buying a FWC, but your experience really has me worried and I am hoping you can help me out by answering a few questions.

1) In your opinion, how bad were the welds from a structural standpoint?

2) Do you think it was necessary to get a new camper because of the welds?

3) FWC seems to have stepped up to the plate and owned this by replacing the camper, but from your conversations with them, do you think they have put corrective actions in place?

4) Will you be removing the panels on your new camper to inspect the welds or are you confident this isn't necessary?

airy said:
CaptM - I'm thinking about buying a FWC, but your experience really has me worried and I am hoping you can help me out by answering a few questions.

1) In your opinion, how bad were the welds from a structural standpoint?

2) Do you think it was necessary to get a new camper because of the welds?

3) FWC seems to have stepped up to the plate and owned this by replacing the camper, but from your conversations with them, do you think they have put corrective actions in place?

4) Will you be removing the panels on your new camper to inspect the welds or are you confident this isn't necessary?
Airy,
Thank you for your concern about my FWC however I stand by my comments in post #37 and wish to focus solely on my build.
Cheers

Got a few things started this past Saturday - Propane locker
Propane Door3.jpgPropane Door.jpgPropane Door 2.jpgBox2.jpgBox1.jpg

This is going to be an interesting build. I have never see the propane there, would free up space in the back corner. Did you cut the frame or did FWC frame it to put the tanks there?

Good eye Bill - the funny thing is when I measured the first frame the spacing at that location was perfect for the door. The second frame was a bit different, I've heard that the standard model and shell model frames are different. So yes, I did modify the frame slightly and my buddy stopped by with his portable welder and welded up the new vertical posts.
Cheers

I had the same issue installing the access door for the on demand water heater in that I had to move a vertical support 1". It was just grind out the out welds, tap over with a mallet and weld it up just like new.
Just waiting on my fabricator to complete the box that the water heater mounts into into.
Water Heater Door.jpgWater Heater Door 2.jpgHeater Door 3.jpg
Cheers

Captm, Looking forward to the Propex Heater install. I just ordered mine and hope to report back in a couple of weeks.

Your builds looking great.

Back
Top Bottom