Geology in Southern California

Totally fascinating, and sobering. The little 5.8 we had here in the Southeast a couple of years back was alarming enough for me. I don't think I'd want to see wave propagation flying across a large open field the way my sister saw such during the Loma Prieta quake in '89. She lives near Watsonville and had a "front row seat" at a large ballfield complex that afternoon.

Foy

Ah, so many of us here on the West coast living like Egyptian crocodiles: in de-Nile. I wonder if property values in this area will show any effect from this information so chillingly presented. I doubt it. I take some comfort that the San Andreas fault is 8 - 10 miles from my house and not running underneath it. A bad quake could really ruin the feng shui. :rolleyes:

Alan

The Sylmar Quake is the one I remember well. I was taking my college geology class and we lived far east on the Sierra Madre fault system. About three miles to the east of our home was a massive fault scrap from the late 1800's. it impressed me, but the subdivisions kept going in. I left.

Yep, very cool video. Like Alano said, I doubt the real estate prices will be much affected. Now what would be real interesting is to see a GE video of all the mapped/inferred faults west of the Continental Divide. That would really be alarming!

Sure glad I live on the east side-all I gotta worry about is the drought and Mt Lassen blowing up (and a little shake now and then) :p! Been in a few quakes in my old Bay Area stomping grounds near the San Andy fault-no fun--- yep allot of de-Nile folks of all types out there these days, me thinks $ and politics spawns the "flat earthers" more than anything else!

Smoke

Thanks for the post ski, that sure does look expensive. Most folks don't really understand that we live on a tectonically active planet in which all kinds of havoc can break loose at any time.

Back
Top Bottom