Leveling Blocks

Fred Stevens

As a soon to be owner of a Tacoma/Fleet pop-up, I have a fairly simple question regarding leveling blocks. There's quite a few options in this area, but after a quick Google search, I've tentatively chosen Lynx levelers. A 10 pack (orange ones) are available from Amazon for about $31 (free shipping with Amazon Prime). The equivalent Camco product (yellow ones) are about $26 from Walmart but shipping would be extra. Not planning on using jack stands, so here's my question. How many blocks should I buy? My sense is I'll need between 10 and 20 blocks, I'm thinking I should buy two 10 packs. Does that seem right? Thanks for input.

I have a 10 pack I think and that's all I've ever needed. You can usually get pretty close to level (front and back) and adjust one side.

Fred, I bought a 10 pack from Wal-Mart when I took possession of my Hawk. Mine are blazing orange color and I believe both orange and yellow pads are equal in quality. When I camp, I like my camper level, so I use them all the time. That said, I have never had the need to use more than 8 at one time. Of course that all depends where you stop and level out. But, one pack does me well. Buy one pack now, you can always buy a second pack later. Also, if I recall correctly, if you have the 3-way refrig its critical that you are level or close to level. They also stack and store nicely and they are very light.

I cut up 3/4" plywood and put adhesive sandpaper on them so they wouldn't slip on each other. Cut as many as you want and replace as needed. Haven't had to replace any because they seem to hold up pretty well.

I have two 10-packs of Lynx Levelers, and I have actually used all 20 of them (or almost all) in at least one campspot (at the trailhead parking area for White Mountain Peak)...and more than 10 a couple of other times. I guess I could get by with just one set of 10 95% of the time...but I'm glad I have 20. They're cheap compared to most other camping costs, and they're lightweight, and I have room to carry them. :)

Here's a link to a post showing what I used to use to level my camper -- the Lynx Levelers are SOOO much easier/better!

BTW: Here's a link to a previous thread on leveling.

We have 2 eight packs of the yellow ones. We have used all of them on occasion but not frequently. Often, moving the truck a few feet one way or the other makes a big difference.

I carry a 10 pack. On the occasion that it isn't enough, I just find a rock and use the levelers as a ramp to the rock.

I chunked up some LVL construction scraps for levelers. I cut them up with a skillsaw and put a 45 degree bevel on the leading edge. One day I had some primer on my paint brush so I gave them a fast coat of paint. They don't split like lumber, and they are very useful to support jacks or tires stuck in the muck.

Don't forget, it's often faster to scoop out the high point, than to lift a low point. I use a folding WWII era shovel, which works great for this when locked in a ninety degree mode.

Lighthawk said:
I chunked up some LVL construction scraps for levelers. I cut them up with a skillsaw and put a 45 degree bevel on the leading edge. One day I had some primer on my paint brush so I gave them a fast coat of paint. They don't split like lumber, and they are very useful to support jacks or tires stuck in the muck.

Don't forget, it's often faster to scoop out the high point, than to lift a low point. I use a folding WWII era shovel, which works great for this when locked in a ninety degree mode.
I do something similar, except I'm using 4X8 lumber at this time and I don't paint it. I carry two of the 4X8s and two 2X6s for fine tuning. For me it's a lot less hassle than packing and unpacking the store bought variety. In the end mine make good firewood. Rocks found on site work well too and they don't take up any room in the truck, but they aren't always available.

I had one 10 pack of the orange ones last year and there were a few times 10 were not enough. I bought a second 10 pack this year and used all 20 on my first night out. They are way less weight than lumber and pack in a smaller space - important in a small rig.

FYI, the orange ones, which have a hole pattern, are not much good in sand as they sink in. I'm cutting a few pieces of Masonite to put underneath when in a sandy campsite. Also, on rocky ground the "fins" tend to get distorted and they no longer stack, but big pliers straighten them out fine.

Back
Top Bottom