05 Tacoma And New Bobcat Owner

Kodachrome

Hi gang,

Been lurking for a bit, looks like a good place, I came over from Expedition Portal due to more to the point dialogue. I just put down some funds for a new ATC Bobcat, loaded including solar for my 05 Tacoma. Looks like an install date of 9/10/09. I am running a TRD Supercharger, exhaust, ECU re-map. etc. I am also running Camburg 2.5" coilovers with Icon A-arms in the front, Alcan springs with Icon reservoir shocks in the back.

What I am wondering is that since I have the reservoirs on the frame above the shock, will this placement interfere with the install of Firestone Ride-rite Airbags and because of the possibility of that, should I go with my Timbrens which are new in the box or Supersprings? The photos I see of the air bags shows them as mounted on the outside of the frame, right where the steel braided line goes across to the shock reservoir.

I see so much varying opinion on what method to stabilize the back end and I am not convinced as to what is the best way to go on a Tacoma. Also, is anyone using a backup camera with these campers? It sure looks like a good idea to me but I like opinions on this too.

Basically, I am replacing my Snugtop Super sport shell with this setup because I am going to be pretty much living out of my truck for the next 18 months in doing a nationwide documentary and lodging would nuke my savings.

So that is it for now, let me know what you folks think.

I just did a Toyota simular to yours, you can search the post, if your rear res. are mounted like mine there won't be any interference with an air bag install. A spring pack is your best choice if the camper will be on the truck most of the time. I'm doing a little research on blowers for the 4.0 and have concluded that you can make over 400 rw hp. with that motor and still have good driveability, and use no TRD parts, stay tuned.

I guess I could always relocate the reservoirs by either swinging them around to the other side of the frame or up on the bed. See attached:

Attachments

• Shock2.jpg
    Shock2.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 150
  • Shock.jpg
    Shock.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 141
Welcome to the board. Interesting project you are embarking on. There's quite a few Tacoma folks here that will likely be able to help.

I've given some thought to installing a back-up cam but being the lazy SOB that I am I've gotten pretty good navigating without. There must be somebody here with one but it's not a subject I can recall reading about here.

I just did a Toyota simular to yours, you can search the post, if your rear res. are mounted like mine there won't be any interference with an air bag install. A spring pack is your best choice if the camper will be on the truck most of the time. I'm doing a little research on blowers for the 4.0 and have concluded that you can make over 400 rw hp. with that motor and still have good driveability, and use no TRD parts, stay tuned.

I just did the springs last year, I kind of want to avoid shelling out another $600-$800 on those so soon, but yes, the ATC will be on the truck most of the time. As for more ponies, yes, I have heard you can get 400 RWHP but I am happy with 336 at the crank, I did it mostly to get back what I lose living at 8,000 feet. I know I lot of X-Runner guys go crazy with the URD setups, headers and all but then you really have to look at driveline wear not to mention a heavier clutch, you are talking like 10 grand to do it right, perhaps a turbo over a Rotrex or Eaton M-90 blower. I put the URD pulley on it and gained 1-2 PSI depending on elevation, air temp, I am happy with that, it screams as it is..:)

I just did the springs last year, I kind of want to avoid shelling out another $600-$800 on those so soon, but yes, the ATC will be on the truck most of the time. As for more ponies, yes, I have heard you can get 400 RWHP but I am happy with 336 at the crank, I did it mostly to get back what I lose living at 8,000 feet. I know I lot of X-Runner guys go crazy with the URD setups, headers and all but then you really have to look at driveline wear not to mention a heavier clutch, you are talking like 10 grand to do it right. I put the URD pulley on it and gained 1-2 PSI depending on elevation, air temp, I am happy with that, it screams as it is..:)

We just did a URD job about 2 weeks ago at our shop in Ukiah, and after I drove the thing I was Speechless. I've done 5 of the TRD setups and the fit of the parts and enginering is the best, but if you want eye popping torque........

We just did a URD job about 2 weeks ago at our shop in Ukiah, and after I drove the thing I was Speechless. I've done 5 of the TRD setups and the fit of the parts and enginering is the best, but if you want eye popping torque........

Yeah, it's pretty crazy that Gadget is putting 422 to the wheels, I would want to build stronger internals at that level. I posted some pics of my rear shocks above, are they installed like yours?

Yeah, it's pretty crazy that Gadget is putting 422 to the wheels, I would want to build stronger internals at that level. I posted some pics of my rear shocks above, are they installed like yours?
[/qu
Kind of , if you search Toyota Buildup in thr truck acc and mods you can check what I did with mine, I actually have a few updates that I'll post when I get a chance.

I've been waiting with baited breath for the fisherman to update his build thread on his Tacoma, but in the meantime...

My 07 Tacoma has the ATC Bobcat on no more than one-third time. I've got the Firestone bags with the OME rear springs and, while I'm very happy with the control and "dial-ability" of the airbags, there is no substitute for steel if the camper is going to be on full-time.

I'm also running the TRD blower - it is awesome but I'd suggest considering a brake upgrade-the temptation is to get on it and with the camper on, it's nice to be able to slow down. I went with Wheeler's setup for the 05+ and been pleased.

-Dan

I've been waiting with baited breath for the fisherman to update his build thread on his Tacoma, but in the meantime...

My 07 Tacoma has the ATC Bobcat on no more than one-third time. I've got the Firestone bags with the OME rear springs and, while I'm very happy with the control and "dial-ability" of the airbags, there is no substitute for steel if the camper is going to be on full-time.

I'm also running the TRD blower - it is awesome but I'd suggest considering a brake upgrade-the temptation is to get on it and with the camper on, it's nice to be able to slow down. I went with Wheeler's setup for the 05+ and been pleased.

-Dan

It's a tough call on the springs, I know I will be taking the camper on and off for utility reasons, so having a burly leaf pack could be great with the ATC on and pretty jarring when not. For example, some of the trails I run I just would *not* want to have the camper on, the road to Holy Cross Mtn., Taylor Pass, Pearl Pass, etc. The other issue with the heavy leaf pack is that I will have to crank my front shocks up quite a bit to even out the rake....which in turn means a new front wheel alignment, a pain.

After 2010, I will be like you and using the ATC about 1/3-1/2 the time.

Now the brakes, I did think of that, I have 85K on the truck and was thinking it might be due in a bit anyway. Which ones did you do? Just slotted or drilled as well?

It's a tough call on the springs, I know I will be taking the camper on and off for utility reasons, so having a burly leaf pack could be great with the ATC on and pretty jarring when not. For example, some of the trails I run I just would *not* want to have the camper on, the road to Holy Cross Mtn., Taylor Pass, Pearl Pass, etc. The other issue with the heavy leaf pack is that I will have to crank my front shocks up quite a bit to even out the rake....which in turn means a new front wheel alignment, a pain.

After 2010, I will be like you and using the ATC about 1/3-1/2 the time.

Now the brakes, I did think of that, I have 85K on the truck and was thinking it might be due in a bit anyway. Which ones did you do? Just slotted or drilled as well?

Powerslot Rotors and a set of Hawke Pads, cyrogen. treated is the best choice. You don't want drilled rotors for two reasons, one they eat up pads, and they are more prone to cracking, but they do look cool. If you want part nos. just ask. My Tacoma will be getting discs in the rear one of these days, when I'm not working on somebody elses.

Powerslot Rotors and a set of Hawke Pads, cyrogen. treated is the best choice. You don't want drilled rotors for two reasons, one they eat up pads, and they are more prone to cracking, but they do look cool. If you want part nos. just ask. My Tacoma will be getting discs in the rear one of these days, when I'm not working on somebody elses.

Similiar - I went with the Centric Powerslot slotted rotors and Porterfield pads. I got them from wheelersoffroad.com up in Oregon (no relation - just like 'em). I've never had drilled rotors but fisherman's comments echo a lot of what I've heard from others, so I took their word for it.

Can't wait to see the rear disk setup - sounds awesome!

Dan

I just ordered the same thing, Powerslot / Porterfield from Wheeler's. Funny though, I said I had 85K on the truck, I am not sure where I got that, it has 78K, nice *safe* time to do brakes..:)

Back
Top Bottom