06-07 Dodge Mega with Granby. Will it work?

SLB

-Adding a second child to the family,,, shortly. Family total is soon to be 6 (2 adults, 2 dogs, one 2yr old and a new born)...

We had a eagle for a few years which was tight but we we made it work, and it took us to some amazing places as a family. It has enabled us to maintain our love for biking/skiing/kayaking and raise our son with exposure to all of it. With a second child we want to go up in size. We aren't willing to go the tow behind trailer route. We just love the freedoms of a FWC. We cannon say enough good things about them.

6-07 dodge diesel mega cab with a granby is where our heads are at, but we have questions about sizing and suspension. From talking to diesel mechanics and everything we have read the 06-07 5.9L rams seem to be the most highly recommended for reliability, ease or repair and mpg. The mega cab for us is a must with two kid car seats and two tall parents. The mega cab , however, limits the size of the bed, so the Granby would be hanging over the tailgate. Searched the forum here but have not seen any threads on the mega cab/Granby combo. Because the mega has a shorter bed would the suspension set up on a 2500 handle the granby's weight or should focus our search on a 1ton? We've also considered ford 7.3l f250/350s as we have heard it very reliable but they are really hard to find.. We'd love any input from folks with similar family sizes or camper/truck set ups

Thank you!

Check out my long bed Cougar on an '06 CTD short bed. Click the link below.

Thanks for the link to the photos!

Boy, that is exactly what we were thinking. Sweet set up. Couple questions.. Is your CTD the 3/4 or 1 ton and did you have to do any suspension mods.?

Here are a few pictures.

Not on the MegaCab, but just the smaller 4 door Dodge Ram trucks.

:)

Attachments

• dodge ram 2500 quadcab #3.JPG
    dodge ram 2500 quadcab #3.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 617
  • grandby on dodge short bed #2.jpg
    grandby on dodge short bed #2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 773
  • iceland.jpg
    iceland.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 528
Here are a few pictures.

Not on the MegaCab, but just the smaller 4 door Dodge Ram trucks.

:)

Thanks Stan! Looks like the Granby siits well on the crew cab.

Does anyone have experience with infant or toddler seats in the back of the crew cab ram? I am 6"3 and could not fit comfortably behind the wheel of our double cab Tacoma with a infant seat behind it. That's why we are leaning toward the mega cab because we know there is plenty of room.. Wondering if folks could share there experience with the crew cab? There seems to be a lot more crew cab inventory to choose from.

I was in the market for a crew cab pickup 1.5 years ago and looked at the Dodge 'Crew cabs' - my budget did not include the mega cabs or the 2009 and newer bigger crew cab models.

I could not fit an infant car seat behind the drivers seat and have much room at all for the driver. And a forward facing seat put the kids feet in the back of the drivers seat all day long.... "Stop kicking me!!"

I passed on the dodge. :( But I love my Chevy! It makes the Dodge back seat look like a joke.

We had an 07 megacab "sort of miss it" with a 8' northstar on it. Sat bed down about 1" and it weighted 1600 lbs. emtpy. Great room in cab. Sleep in back a couple times. Good luck.

Just a heads up - with the longer camper on the shorter truck, most of the camper weight is going to be on the rear springs. It makes a significant difference in handling (vs a short bed model).

My 3/4 ton (Dodge short bed + granby) is a bit overwhelmed, it could really use a stiffer set of springs or a set of air bags. It's not too bad on the long strait freeways - but it sure doesn't inspire much confidence when you try to dodge Bambi.

I have the 1500 Crew Cab. I put air bags on after my first trip. It made a huge difference. The rig is much more stable and I like being able to fine tune the height.

I'd post a picture but I haven't been able to figure out how

We're putting a Grandby in the back of our Chevy 3500 shortbed (6'6"). FWC sent me a picture of one in the back of a Chevy 2500 shortbread. Going to leave the tailgate on.

I should say I chose a 1 ton because the payload capacity is so much more for the same price. I'm a big believer in not operating anywhere near max capacity as a normal course of business.

I should say I chose a 1 ton because the payload capacity is so much more for the same price. I'm a big believer in not operating anywhere near max capacity as a normal course of business.

Well, thanks to everyone for all the advice. We found a used 2006 Ram 3500 CTD with 100K on it. We cannot believe how much room there is in the rear seats -cavernous! Now the search begins for a used Granby..

Back
Top Bottom