07' and newer Tundra / camper complaints?

rich

Contributors
Hi Guys,

I've got it narrowed down to two trucks to replace my T-100 now an '07 and an '08 Tundra double cab 4x4 with the tow package. I will pick up whichever one I get a better deal on I suppose :)

Will be making the purchase between now and Monday and wanted to hear from any one on hear running an '07 or newer Tundra under their campers and see if any one had any complaints, issues, criticisms or anything they think I ought to know about these trucks before I buy one.

The wealth of knowledge and experience on here is invaluable when you are about to drop this kind of cash.

I'd recommend searching this forum- there are a lot of posts about the Tundra. One post is pretty recent, about the Tundra's non-boxed frame (link). I have an 07 Tundra myself and love it. No problems, no issues with the frame. The ONLY complaint I have, which is true of all trucks to different degrees, is how the truck rides empty on a concrete highway with expansion joints. My Tundra would bounce wildly if the joint spacing was just right and the speed was just right. Only happened empty and has since quieted down after the suspension got broken in. No problems with the camper at all.

My 06 Tundra is pretty bouncy on freeway expansion also with 265/65/18 BFG KO's at 80 psi and air bags at 12 psi
without camper. With camper is fine. I realize you are into gen II Tundra, but thought the same comment on rough ride with truck tires applies to all years.

Hi Guys,

Well it's official I bought an '07 Tundra and so far I love it. I have two small complaints, 1 is the aforementioned bounciness on chopped up freeway and that there is so much power to the wheels I have to feather the gas on to not jump off the line and peel out. It's my first vehicle with an electronic accelerator too so it took a bit of getting used to. I am going to change the shocks to some adjustables to try and take some of the bounce out of it.

But it's a great truck. I can't wait to finish the camper mods to get the camper on there!

Hi Ski,

Thanks! I'm very excited about it. It is big, in truth a bit bigger than I would like but I like the larger pay load and towing capacity and all the storage in the thing! Now I've got to clean up the garage and start modding the camper to get it on there ASAP! :)

Congrats Rich. You might want to head over to tundrasolutions.com and see if anyone found a solution to the bounce. I haven't followed the discussion in over a year, but I keep about 200# in my bed and its not too bad. If you keep the camper on full-time, you won't feel the bounce so much. My dealer tells me Toyota actually has a fix in the works for it, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Hi Rich
did you install the camper yourself? Where did you get those eyebolts?
thank

Hi Rich
did you install the camper yourself? Where did you get those eyebolts?
thank

Hi Familypak,

I did not originally install the camper myself because I needed to have the camper body itself retrofitted to eye nuts and I wanted that done at the factory and since I was there I had them do the ones in the bed of my T-100. Now that I have seen it done I plan on installing the eye nuts that I took off the T-100 into the bed of the Tundra myself. It's just drilling four holes through the sheet metal of the bed so no biggie. I measured the position from the T-100 and will aproximate the same position in the Tundra bed even though it's bigger.

I got the eye nuts directly from FWC although I'm sure there is another source. I'm sure the guys at ATC have them too and either manufacturer will likely ship them to you. You need 2 large washers for each of the four eye nuts and the turn buckles to complete the system.

thank you for the info. I called FWC, and it will cost $400 to install my old camper to my new truck, and I call ATC and the price is much lower. I am thinking doing myself to save some money.

thank again, and enjoy your new tundra.

Back
Top Bottom