12,000 mile trip just finished

zanshin

Advanced Member
From independence, MO to Oregon, North California, Montana, Canada, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, etc.

Too many places to name, but included

* Redwoods State and National Parks in Northern California,
* Crater Lake and John Day Fossil Beds in Oregon (also the entire SW Oregon coast, Columbia Gorge, Silver Falls State Park and lots of others, almost 3 weeks spent in Oregon alone),
* Craters of the Moon National Monument in Idaho, also the Lochsa and Selway Wild and Scenic Rivers
* Glacier National Park in Montana, also Lake Koocanusa area and other place in NW Montana,
* Waterton Lakes, Kootenay, Yoho, Banff and Jasper National Parks in Canada; also Mt. Robson Park and Kananaskis Country,
* Flaming Gorge area and Dinosaur National Monument in Utah and Colorado,

... and a bunch of state parks, National Forest campgrounds, county fairgrounds, private campgrounds, Blackfeet tribal land up on the east side of Glacier.

Seven weeks straight in the 4WC Hawk camper; 12,205 miles, got a cracked windshield 90 miles from home on I-70 west of Topeka; ran from wildfires, high heat, flooding rains in South Dakota and choking smoke from Kalispell down to Missoula. 740-some gallons of fuel purchased - highest price in USA was CA at $4.29/gal for unleaded regular and nearly $4.90/gal in Canada at Hinton, Alberta (outside the gates of Jasper Park). Low was in Independence, MO at $3.21/gal. Average was $3.63/gal overall and averaged 15.8 mpg pulling my Ruger C416 trailer with a stock 2011 5.0 liter V8 F-150, E-rated Firestones.

Just got back Sunday, and discovered we have to leave Thursday for a quick trip to Pensacola, FL for a wake for a military brother.

Attachments

• Crater Lk truck.jpg
    Crater Lk truck.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 188
  • John Day Fossils.jpg
    John Day Fossils.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Redwoods blurry.jpg
    Redwoods blurry.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 174
  • coast truck.jpg
    coast truck.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 164
  • Oregon Constastoga.jpg
    Oregon Constastoga.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 169
Stayed 5 nights at the Chewing Blackbones campground near Babb, MT, tribal land run by Blackfeet Indians. Great people, had almost the entire place to ourselves - it was previously only used for tribal functions, then fell into disrepair and was closed, but after 4 years they're reopening it and allowing the public in. There was a large group of Indian youths camped in one open field for the first 4 nights, but we were down in the old RV spots and were far away from them. Totally private. They (the managers, staff, and tribal police) performed Grizzly overwatch each night, and every night there was commotion as they chased griz out of the campground on ATVs and pickups, popping off bear-bangers and screaming. One night I thought we were under attack...

We were camped literally on the shore of Lower St. Mary Lake outside Glacier Park... could sit by the truck and watch eagles fishing in the lake. bad skeeters, though, and the griz clawed up the nearest porta-potty door one night.

Wow, what trip! Reminds me of the time in 1973 when I drove from Lexington, KY to Fairbanks, AK and back athough I didn't hit as many NPs as you did.

I agree with Craig and 3pin that more photos are needed.

I guess I need a Flickr account or something... took a lot of pictures, but don't see how to upload more than the 500k on the very first post of a thread. Pretty dumb for a guy that used to be an IT and web guy, huh?

Today we booked reservations on the Fort Pickens campground in the Gulf Islands National Seashore. Right across the bay from Pensacola, but several LONG bridges apart. Will definitely curtail my drinking at my brother's remembrance get-together.

zanshin said:
I guess I need a Flickr account or something... took a lot of pictures, but don't see how to upload more than the 500k on the very first post of a thread. Pretty dumb for a guy that used to be an IT and web guy, huh?
Yes on Flickr! Don't feel bad about technology, I am a retired IT guy as well, an the only think I want from a computer these days is to edit photos, and participate in forums like WTW!

zanshin said:
I guess I need a Flickr account or something... took a lot of pictures, but don't see how to upload more than the 500k on the very first post of a thread...
Yes, the photos inserted by "Attach Files", which appear as thumbnails, do have that significant limitation.

Photos that you first upload to the web and then insert into the post are not subject to that limitation.
So, yes, for that approach you can use Flickr or smugmug or Photobucket, etc. to host your photos.
Or...you can upload to a Gallery on WTW. (If you want, you can create a Member Gallery on WTW and make it "Private" so that others can't browse the gallery.) The only thing about inserting pics from a WTW Gallery is that it doesn't present a convenient code to copy into the post, and those photo-hosting sites do, so the WTW Gallery is less convenient.

Send me a PM if you have any questions or need help with posting photos. :)

South Falls at Silver Falls State Park, near Salem, Oregon. There are 10 falls on about an 8-mile circuit path. We didn't have time to walk it, and only saw three there. Smokiest campground we encountered... people who burn pine... well... shouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom