12,000 mile trip just finished

Cape Blanco historic lighthouse, Oregon coast. One of only a couple on the west coast you can visit and go up inside.

The tour guide wears late 19th century period-accurate uniform for a lighthouse keeper, and really gets into explaining the role of that position. Shown alongside the original huge fresnel lens it was built with (that lets the light be seen 28 miles away), only now instead of a pork lard-fueled lamp that had to be pumped every four hours, it uses a single 1,000w bulb that costs about $12.

A stormy evening caused a great sunset near Banff township in Banff National Park in Alberta, Canada. Rained hard at our campground, sounded like sleeping in a tin drum.

Sure, all the National Park gift shops are pretty good. Wouldn't want to buy everything there, but they have some genuinely nice items. But the Trees of Mystery attraction (where you ride a ski tram for 7 minutes through Redwoods) has the largest and worst collection of Made in China, unrelated, and "guaranteed gonna break 30 minutes outside the gate" stuff I've ever seen.

And I've been to Branson... I know tacky.

zanshin said:
Sure, all the National Park gift shops are pretty good. Wouldn't want to buy everything there, but they have some genuinely nice items. But the Trees of Mystery attraction (where you ride a ski tram for 7 minutes through Redwoods) has the largest and worst collection of Made in China, unrelated, and "guaranteed gonna break 30 minutes outside the gate" stuff I've ever seen.

And I've been to Branson... I know tacky.
Out here, we call that 'Stumps of Mystery'. It has meaning beyond the tourist trap...

zanshin said:
Now... how do I post some of the 1TB of video?
Upload it to somewhere-on-the-web, then provide a link to it.

Or...it is possible to directly insert "live" YouTube video in a WTW post, and I think Vimeo video, so maybe you can do that with other video, too -- depending on what kind of video file it is.

Back
Top Bottom