12v electrical system troubleshooting?

jlrray

Advanced Member
Camping in the snow is never a good time to realize that your electrical system took a wrong turn. It gets dark in the sierras pretty early lately and I tried to turn on the lights and realized they wouldn't work. Connected a generator to the 110 and the electrical receptacle gets power. Made sure the little red switch under the cabinetry was pulled open but still no lights. The battery condition monitor works, the fuses all seem to be intactt but now all interior and external lighting doesn't turn on. What else can I look at ? the wiring goes into the iota.controller. This is an 06 kestrel

Did you put an ohm meter on the fuse, not just look at it? Hopefully, that will be the issue!

The other thing that comes to mind is a broken wire. I believe it goes up to the roof near the front lift panel. Some folks have found broken wires in that area. Do a google search on the site for FWC broken wires.

Here's one from Lighthawk

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/8410-broken-solar-wire-redux-2008-hawk/

My 2003 Eagle has a rocker switch to the right of the fridg that supplies power to the lights and ventfan.I would check for power at that switch if you have one.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
The other thing that comes to mind is a broken wire. I believe it goes up to the roof near the front lift panel. Some folks have found broken wires in that area. Do a google search on the site for FWC broken wires.

Here's one from Lighthawk

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/8410-broken-solar-wire-redux-2008-hawk/
This is a common point of failure on a FWC of the vintage you have. The wires will be behind the lift panel. On mine they run behind the driver's side edge. Should be an easy fix, if that's the problem.

Update

What works: the monitor, the fantastic fan, the 110 receptacle, 12V cigarette lighter receptacle

What doesn't work:
The refrigerator, all lights

The fuses all are tested and good
The wires behind the panel seem ok with no visable wear and tear

It doesn't seem to work with a generator attached to the shore power or on battery.

Any other ideas?

Update again
Replaced the bulbs with standard bulbs and it works. So basically the system is fine, except it won't charge the battery from shore power and it won't charge from the car battery itself.

A few things to check.
1. Does the battery take a full charge from a standard battery charger?
What is the resting battery voltage after charging?
2. Does the Iota have the IQ4 smart charger installed?
If so, there is an LED on it that indicates charging status. On solid, slow flashing, or fast flashing when plugged into AC power
If not, the Iota is operating more as a DC power supply instead of a charger
3. What is the voltage on either side of the battery isolator with the truck running?
Let us know what you find.

The iq4 is about $25 and makes it a smart charger. Worth every penny. Installation is plug in.

Paul

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom