12v fridge

Outnabout

I have a 2015 Grandby with an Iota charger. Am I correct in thinking that i only need a 12v fridge and not a combination 12/120v because when I plug in for shore power the charger already converts the current and will power my fridge? I will use the existing 12v wiring that my 3 way is using currently. Seems like 12v fridge is less expensive than a combination 12/120v. I am open to any all bits of advice or suggestions.

Yes you are accurate in your analysis.

Our 2015 2 way fridge when plugged in to AC current the fridge switches from battery to AC current.

Saying that if it makes a difference in your choice of fridges.

I've heard some upgraded the DC wires to the fridge.

pvstoy said:
Yes you are accurate in your analysis.

Our 2015 2 way fridge when plugged in to AC current the fridge switches from battery to AC current.

Saying that if it makes a difference in your choice of fridges.

I've heard some upgraded the DC wires to the fridge.
Thank you. What fridge do you have?

Outnabout said:
I have a 2015 Grandby with an Iota charger. Am I correct in thinking that i only need a 12v fridge and not a combination 12/120v because when I plug in for shore power the charger already converts the current and will power my fridge? I will use the existing 12v wiring that my 3 way is using currently. Seems like 12v fridge is less expensive than a combination 12/120v. I am open to any all bits of advice or suggestions.
You are correct and this is exactly what I did last year after my 3-way fridge let me down on a trip. It'll help if you have a solar panel in case you are remote and stationary for a few days to balance out the fridge power consumption.

The IOTA will change your batteries and the fridge will be powered off the batteries not directly from the IOTA. In the case of a dual voltage fridge the IOTA will provide 120 to the fridge ac supply line.

Dean

We started (2011) with an Engel fridge freezer (top load) worked great but.... the wife wanted a door type fridge so in 2016 I installed the Isotherm 65 (Eagle FWC). It is a terrific fridge... low power consumption (we have solar) and incredibly quiet. I hate background noise and this hardly is noticeable even at night. Granted the freezer is small... always a compromise in camper space. Some folks with larger vFWC have the 130(?) which seems to be ideal if you have the space.

I have the Isotherm CR130EL and we are going into our third summer with it. It works great, and is very quiet. In fact, the main noise I notice at night is the relay click when it cycles on. By the second night i sleep through the click. The compressor itself is very quiet. I just wish the freezer compartment was about twice as large.

we have a Truckfridge 65 which works fine for two people for two weeks. Although it seems lot's of folks prefer a larger fridge, we find this one just the right size. very quiet compressor so little noise and the 200 watt solar runs it even in cloudy rainy weather fine.

I believe that we have the same fridge as JonR. We're on our third one. We sold the first camper with the first one still installed. I ordered a second one almost exactly the day that I brought our second camper home. We've had one issue that I think was my fault. The controller failed. I think that I managed to voltage spike it with a short. After replacing the controller the fridge still didn't work. Crating & shipping it to the mfg's rep was going to cost nearly half as much as a new one. We had a trip coming up and I didn't have time to deal with that. No other compressor fridge is this outside size, so I ordered another one. And have been very careful to not short things out. It is now going in our newest camper. Total, we have maybe 9 years on the three fridges.

The freezer is small, hard to get many push-ups in there, a granddaughter's test of what's important.

The 100 watts of solar on the first camper had no trouble staying ahead of the fridge, even in hot desert weather. I don't think that 100W will stay ahead of the granddaughter so this camper is going to get a lot more solar.

Data point of one in a portable size fridge, I've got an ARB that I've had for ~17 years that still works fine.

The National Luna is a fine fridge but you pay for it too. Both my Truckfridge and Engel are still running strong.

buckland said:
Isotherm we've had is great.
Likewise, the Isotherms that we have had were great too.

A distinction must be made, our Isotherms were not chest fridges, they are built-in's primarily made for marine applications.

The heart of all 12 v refrigerators and Freezers is the compressor.

National Luna uses the same Secop (formerly Danfoss) compressors that several other manufacturers use. There are several other very reliable brands including Dometic (Wayco), Indel B, Engle, Isotherm and ARB. Indel B, Isotherm and ARB use the Danfoss compressor. Dometic used to use the Danfoss but now uses a proprietary variable speed VMS03 compressor. Engle uses the Sawafuji Swing compressor.

National Luna refrigerator construction and insulation is highly regarded. Dometic is also highly regarded as are the others listed above.

https://expeditionportal.com/the-best-overland-fridge-freezers/

https://www.mygenerator.com.au/blog/a-look-at-the-best-compressors-running-your-portable-camping-fridge/

Vic,

I did not forget TruckFridge. As I recall they are made by Indel B and Vitrifrigo but some regard them as second tier compared to the Indel B and other brands like Dometic and National Luna. There are at least 6 more 12 v refrigerator brands I did not list (probably more).

Many 12 v refrigerator brands are made by a handful of Chinese companies and then have some "branded" components added to them after recept by the buying brand. I did a bunch of research on this when I was trying to decide on a refrigerator back in 2018. I'm sure some consolidation and other industry changes have occurred since then

Far and away the Danfoss compressor is the compressor most commonly used by all these brands.

Since 2018 - a lot of new 12 volt DC fridges have entered the market in the sub $600 range.

Most of these are Chinese "white label" fridges that do not use a Danfoss SECOP compressor. By white label, I'm referring to those units built at one or two factories for a multiple of brands that one sees on Amazon.

ICECO is the exception to the above. Their offerings at priced about $200 higher than the above "white label" 12V DC fridges - but all but one or two of the ICECO units utilize a licensed Danfoss SECOP compressor.

Interestingly, three of the ICECO offerings, the JP30, JP40 and JP50 are housed in cabinets that are identical to the Indel-B chest style fridges. ICECO also offers a pro range with prices that begin in the $700 range.

An important caveat emptor to consider when buying a Chinese "white label" 12 volt DC fridge is what if something goes wrong, who are you going to call as opposed to a couple of the more established brands? Correct me, if I am wrong, but both ARB and Dometic have customer representatives here in the USA with a 1-800 service number. It is something to consider should the fridge have issues soon after the purchase.

Back
Top Bottom