18 Fleet Shell Couch Question

coloradoclimber97

Advanced Member
I have 2018 Fleet shell and would like to add the roll over couch, but don't want to install it north/south. Does anyone know if a unmodify off the shelf couch from FWC will fit eas/west against the front wall on a 18 Fleet?

You can find the hardware and build whatever size couch you need. The trick is construction of that storage base. The hardware source was indicated on another thread.

Seattle Mitch said:
You can find the hardware and build whatever size couch you need. The trick is construction of that storage base. The hardware source was indicated on another thread.
I'm on the road with limited tools and was hopeful that I wouldn't have to modify the standard couch that FWC sells. Is the storage base necessary? If the couch fits E/W, I was hoping I could mount the hardware to the benches on either side near the windows. I know this means I will have to modify or delete the little recessed storage areas, but I would like to keep the space underneath the couch open so I can slip my Action Packers underneath. Two of them fit perfectly between the benches now.

I'm I crazy to think this is possible? I clearly don't fully understand how the couch hardware works.

Mark

I think the issue will be placing the seat portion of the roll over far enough away from your window so that the back part can actually roll into the upright position. I'm pretty sure that will require building out some extra bench away from the window. But like I said I'll take a photo for you in a little bit. Hopefully that will help

Seattle Mitch said:
I think the issue will be placing the seat portion of the roll over far enough away from your window so that the back part can actually roll into the upright position. I'm pretty sure that will require building out some extra bench away from the window. But like I said I'll take a photo for you in a little bit. Hopefully that will help
Thanks for the link and for taking the time to help solve my problem - I really appreciate it. You bring up a great point, and I'm wondering how much off set from the front wall would be required? Also wondering if it is a zero clearance hinge, or will I need to build up the top of the benches for the hinge to rotate?

Just looked at your link and answered my 2nd question. Looks like it will completely rotate without breaking the plain of the benches.

https://rbcomponents.com/products/folding-sofa-sleeper-hinge-assembly

This is what FWC uses, I am fairly positive. Maybe not needed, but nice to have extra support base in the aisle. Unless you lower/recess, the E/W side bunk support, you will also, likely need a foot platform to avoid dangling legs. My storage base N/S R/O couch in my Grandby Shell is lower than my driver’s side bunk. So, the couch sits lower to the floor.
The above link is about half the price that Amazon listed it for when I was deciding on my Shell order. I ended up having FWC do R/O couch. Wow did FWC raise the cost of that from 2017 to 2018, ~50%. Glad I ordered in 2017.
Sorry for the 2nd link post, had to walk away, and others replied sooner.

Of course the link above is cheaper than Amazon. I don't know what makes people think you get stuff cheaper at Amazon

For some reason I can't figure out how to post photographs here. But the entire horizontal platform that the brackets are built onto is 75 inches long. The cushions themselves appear to total about 72 inches in length

The back of the couch (the vertical part) appears to lean back about 6 inches beyond the bottom where the horizontal pieces are attached

Stokeme said:
https://rbcomponents.com/products/folding-sofa-sleeper-hinge-assembly

This is what FWC uses, I am fairly positive. Maybe not needed, but nice to have extra support base in the aisle. Unless you lower/recess, the E/W side bunk support, you will also, likely need a foot platform to avoid dangling legs. My storage base N/S R/O couch in my Grandby Shell is lower than my driver’s side bunk. So, the couch sits lower to the floor.
The above link is about half the price that Amazon listed it for when I was deciding on my Shell order. I ended up having FWC do R/O couch. Wow did FWC raise the cost of that from 2017 to 2018, ~35%. Glad I ordered in 2017.
Sorry for the 2nd link post, had to walk away, and others replied sooner.
Thanks Stokeme, I hadn't thought about the height of the seat being a problem. Yah, I noticed they significantly raised the price. If the couch had fit, I was seriously debating whether it was worth $2K.

Seattle Mitch said:
The back of the couch (the vertical part) appears to lean back about 6 inches beyond the bottom where the horizontal pieces are attached
Dam it, the 75" length won't work, but I think the offset of 6" will still work with the Action Packers. Looks like I will buy the brackets and build my own when I'm back in Colorado in May.

Just curious, what material is FWC using to support the cushions? I assume it's a plywood material that's integrated into the cushion?

Thanks again guys.

Mark

The bottom cushions are removable as they are laying on storage spaces and if you couldn't lift them off you couldn't easily open the cabinet all the way. The vertical back piece is attached to some kind of board. Quality marine grade plywood is my guess.

Back
Top Bottom