1975 8' CO Alaskan

mrmtbaldy

Hello all, I have been a fan of this site for about a year while I looked for my ideal 8' cabover Alaskan. I finally found it, but it's a little rougher than I anticipated. There is some rot in both the rear corners, and it is missing the lower front window (the one that mates with the truck's back window). Also, the cabover portion of the camper sags a bit and hits the roof of my truck, and the pirelli webbing is shot throughout. Is there anyone who has an extra window i can buy for a cabover? I believe it is slightly larger than those of the non cabover design. Also has anyone found a reliable source for the pirelli webbing without having to pay and arm and a leg for it? Thanks

Pictures to come...

hi and welcome.
i have a 64 10' nco that i restored and just got a 75 10'co that sounds about the same shape as yours.on the 64, i substituted a lot of stuff from home depot for original seals,window trim,outside drip gaurds,etc. it may not be factory spec ,but works just great and at 50 bucks original cost and 200(or so)bucks materials, i have a beautiful,warm fun camper that i can use frequently and easily.can't wait to get the bigger 75 redone.on that one , i'm starting at 250 bucks purchase price.

wes

hi and welcome.
i have a 64 10' nco that i restored and just got a 75 10'co that sounds about the same shape as yours.on the 64, i substituted a lot of stuff from home depot for original seals,window trim,outside drip gaurds,etc. it may not be factory spec ,but works just great and at 50 bucks original cost and 200(or so)bucks materials, i have a beautiful,warm fun camper that i can use frequently and easily.can't wait to get the bigger 75 redone.on that one , i'm starting at 250 bucks purchase price.

wes

Gotcha, what did you use for the seals?

pirelli seal material

http://www.foamproducts.net/html/webbing.html

$.85 cents a foot in the 100 foot roll.....you'll need it

Thanks Rusty. The website says they are out of stock of the pirelli webbing, do you know if the stuff next to it will work as a substitute?

Thanks, Dan

i used 3inch wide rubber seal material from home depot. i think it was meant for garage doors. it came in 15 ft rolls and fairly cheap. i trimmed the square edges off and cut to fit and attached it with metal linolium floor edge strips to bottom edge of top shell. haven't needed inside edges done yet. it's shape looks like a 3inch wide flat with 3/8 inch "T" sides.works great. we've been in 70mile/hr wind and rain at pacific beach and in 35 degree weather

wes

As promised, a couple pictures of the rig.

Attachments

• 080.JPG
    080.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 517
  • 087.JPG
    087.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 534
that looks in great shape compared to the "75"10'co i just got.the closer i look. the more things i find that need attention. i finally got it into the garage to start working on it.guess i'll start roaming home depot again.

wes

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 579
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 485
What is so special about the Pirelli material vs rubber strips, that justifies the added premium??

Looks like some have used the 3" wide rubber strips to seal...how has that worked out?

The pirelli material is a true latex rubber with embedded fibers bi-directionally molded into the strip

It retains its flat shape while configuring to the skin and minor deviations which change with every raise and lower of the top.

You install the material using the brass strips provided at manufacture and fit the pieces to the body, trimming the excess off the outside even with the brass...nice, neat, clean install which lasts about 5-7 years with outside exposure and longer inside.

tough material with no tearing of the rubber or scratching of the skin of the camper.

You can get it at Alaskan Campers in Chehalis, Wa.

Thanks Rusty. The website says they are out of stock of the pirelli webbing, do you know if the stuff next to it will work as a substitute?

Thanks, Dan

I'm also curious if the black synthetic stuff would work. Much cheaper, although it's $20 shipping.

Chris

The price of the pirelli really represents a much higher quality and the ability to flex and form while still returning to it's original shape easily. It also has fibers woven in the rubber which make it much more durable than say...garage door rubber. You could easily replace the pirelli every 4-8 years, depending on where the camper is stored and how much road time you put on it.

i would love to use the perelli, but being on a budget and not needing "original"parts status,i opted for the rubber seal material from home depot. i've had it on for two years now and am very happy with it's performance.it's 29 degrees outside now and it's just as flexible as it is in summer.also, at the low cost of this material, i wasn't too worried about a wrong cut that would break the bank.i know this sounds a bit redneck, but i've had to "mickey mouse" (some call it adapting)stuff most of my life.my priority runs toward the camping trip itself and functionality of the camper. if i can do that and have a reasonable good looking rig at the same time on as little money as possible, that's a win win. adapting doesn't stop here. i made one side eyebrow out of flashing that looks pretty good and works great. every time i hit it with the top of the old fashioned jacks, i'm glad i only spent a few dollars on it.a set of latches that don't match the others still open the cabinet just fine.our cusions are covered with drapes from good will at a cost of 29 dollars.my table is made from a salvaged solid core door, but looks very nice and wont warp.i had to replace a bad inside panel , but on the front inside panel, the exposed layer of wood was the only bad part, so it just got sealed and painted gloss white.with both ends painted that way, the camper is brighter and bigger feeling .

i do applaud all you guys that make it look new and perfect.it's a love like restoring a vintage car, i suppose.i seen some beautiful pics of some great rigs and hard work.

wes

Attachments

• seats1.JPG
    seats1.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 237
Man after my own heart.

I bought a 69 NCO with the front top end rot showing. Going thru a long term divorce and simgle dad with no maintenance ( need new lawyer)

My 200 Alaskan came with heavy rubber strips with metal strip attached and pre drilled holes about every 4 inches.
think should work, just need much warmer weather than 18 below and no snow on the ground.

I'm also repair my unit with an eye to the cost. So far under 100.00 and have replaced the top front end.

Everyone enjoy your Alaskan's

dkoug

Attachments

• Alaskan project 004.JPG
    Alaskan project 004.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 197
  • Alaskan project 008.JPG
    Alaskan project 008.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 205
  • Front top original.JPG
    Front top original.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 191