1982 Hawk rebuild

P8 Camping

Hi everyone,

First time poster here. I've been lurking as a guest for a while. So now I figure it's time for me to register and share my build so far.

A friend from one of my Facebook groups found this 1982 Hawk in someone's yard and I went and spoke to the guy.
Found.jpg

After looking at it and talking to the guy a little, I offered him $300. He said "well, lets go talk to the old lady and see what she thinks". So we went and talked to his wife and she scoffed at my offer and said $200 will do just fine.

We loaded it up (without jacks :unsure:) and I brought it home.
20201226_151615.jpg
20201226_151626.jpg
20201226_151631.jpg

I guess I posted this 3 times. Sorry guys, I cant figure out how to delete the other two.

P8 Camping said:
I guess I posted this 3 times. Sorry guys, I cant figure out how to delete the other two.
Taken care of. :)

and congrats on your new camper! Best of luck with your project.

Got it home and opened it up. It's obviously seen better days.
20201226_164430.jpg20201226_162038.jpg20201226_162033.jpg20201226_161925.jpg20201226_161933.jpg20201226_161700.jpg20201226_161706.jpg20201226_161651.jpg20201226_161646.jpg

I'm not really sure what's going on with these pictures or how to orient them correctly. Yall bear with me...

Attachments

• 20201226_161656.jpg
    20201226_161656.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 116
I was given the idea from a friend that since I was tearing it down to the bones that I should stretch it to fit my long bed F250. Brilliant idea, so that's what I did.

Dropping her off at the welder.
4-1.jpg

Picking her up the first time. I ended up taking it back once I started framing up the tub to add a corner and to add jack points for a later project.

Attachments

• 4-2.jpg
    4-2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 156
  • 4-3.jpg
    4-3.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 4-4.jpg
    4-4.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 125
CougarCouple said:
Awesome are you doing a resto back to original or modified? Looks like you got a good helper there.

Russ
It'll be heavily modified. I wanted to do a resto but I'm in TX and these guy's are pretty rare here so finding the right parts for the right price would be tricky.

I got a few good helpers running around. I'm sure they will be in some other pics along the way.

Got it back from the welder and started rebuilding the tub.

As you'll see later, I ended up modifying the floor a bit and will need to do a little bit more later as I start looking at mounting points.
5-1.jpg5-2.jpg5-3.jpg5-4.jpg5-5.jpg5-6.jpg5-7.jpg

I was going back and forth for a little while on siding, this is what made the decision for me on if I was going to return it to factory stuff or go my own route.

I decided to skin it with Aluminum diamond plate, kinda like the "Project M's". In order to do that and get a good end product, I skinned it first with a thin (and light) soffit material for backing. I also painted the bottom with a truck bed liner to protect the treated wood just a bit more.

In this post you will see my "tabs" for the jacks I plan to build or purchase later.

6-1.jpg6-2.jpg6-3.jpg6-4.jpg6-5.jpg

My dad and I rebuilt the door and I am reusing the windows and as much of the trim as I can.

I added a window in the front drivers side where the camper was stretched that matched the "retro" of the other windows so we can get some cross wind.

8-1.jpg8-2.jpg8-3.jpg8-4.jpg8-5.jpg8-6.jpg8-7.jpg

And here's where I am with it up to today.

Instead of buying another sheet of that aluminum, I decided on painting the front portion with bed liner as well. I'll be able to add the aluminum at a later date if I end up wanting to spend the money on it. I think it turned out pretty good though.
9-1.jpg9-2.jpg9-3.jpg9-4.jpg

I forgot to add, I added an inch to the frame while at the welders. I wanted to see if I could fit a little thicker mattress in there...

P8 Camping,

welcome to WTW, and thanks for sharing your build with text and photos. We always enjoy seeing restoration work on these old campers. Everyone has a unique perspective on how to go about it. It’s a fun process, and keeps you thinking ahead on what and how to do the next thing. These are not small projects, so I hope you’ll persevere and see it to completion. Watch for camper parts on Craigslist, as there are many opportunities to save money, and get some good deals. Anyhow, I hope your build goes well, and it turns out the way you want. They’re a blast to have, and memories in the making. Good luck!

Welcome to WTW. That is looking fantastic so far. What a difference from how it looked at the start. The additional window and bed space are really good ideas. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

PokyBro said:
P8 Camping,

welcome to WTW, and thanks for sharing your build with text and photos. We always enjoy seeing restoration work on these old campers. Everyone has a unique perspective on how to go about it. It’s a fun process, and keeps you thinking ahead on what and how to do the next thing. These are not small projects, so I hope you’ll persevere and see it to completion. Watch for camper parts on Craigslist, as there are many opportunities to save money, and get some good deals. Anyhow, I hope your build goes well, and it turns out the way you want. They’re a blast to have, and memories in the making. Good luck!

Ted said:
Welcome to WTW. That is looking fantastic so far. What a difference from how it looked at the start. The additional window and bed space are really good ideas. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Hi P8, welcome to the cult. Looks like you found a gem! Here’s a trick to photo orientation that might help. Keep those photos coming, we love build threads.

Thanks everyone.

I'm ordering "canvas" material today. I would like to get it closed in within the next 2 weeks. We will see how that goes though.

Hi P8,

Great build, I just picked up an 84 Grandby in similar shape and plan a similar restoration/remodel.

What adhesive did you use to bond the diamond plate to the soffit material? I also see you narrowed just the passenger side of the camper, any particular reason for doing just one side vs. a little off each side?

Back
Top Bottom