Snow Broke my FWC Hawk Roof

a design/material flaw in the FWC...looking at how the round strut is cut into the rectangular support just does not look right; seems that would induce a weak/failure spot...
They have been built like that for 40+ years (I can show you a 1982 roof frame right now if you'd like), also if you noted the build photos from ski3pin ATC does it too.

I noticed in one of the pics Salmon posted on July 17 it looks like there's wood inside the broken roof bow. I wonder why fourwheel camper would be putting wood inside of them.

Corn,

I don't see any wood inside the roof structure. What did I miss? Longitudinal Wood strips hold the liner to the top inside and the transverse board in photo is used to push top up into place

The pic of the broken roof bow where the conduit goes through. I believe you have it labeled as inside break close up. There is definitely wood inside the broken roof bow.

Polish_20240802_180812876.jpg

Good eye! Perhaps the wood is there to provide a purchase for fasteners? Like wood strips? Lights?

This is as far as I could magnify it before it started to pixelate:
1blowup.jpg

It looks to me like the discolored back and bottom inside of the rectangular crossbeam. What I am pointing to would be the inside bottom of the beam.
Could be wrong; my eyes don't work well at this time of night.

That photo appears to show that a notch was cut into the square tubing and that there are no welds there. I think I see a fastener in the middle. Is that a horizontal piece of metal conduit? What is that for? Is it factory?

Notching the top of the tubing would weaken it. The screw coming in from the bottom could be a crack initiator. Downward force and the notch could allow the tube to buckle and the screw hole could lead to the metal splitting or tearing.

A closeup better resolution photograph would be informative. I would have a structural engineer look at this if you know one.

Floor joists and roof rafters in houses are not allowed to have notches because they can buckle under load.

Back
Top Bottom