1983 Jayco Sportster 7 rebuild

Thanks! I was actually looking at some garage door seals today at home depot, I think those, along with some regular old weather stripping will do the trick. Garage door seal to cover the gap and the weather stripping inside it to seal the body up when it's closed.

Very glad I sprung for the fourth jack. The single side flooring was not the strongest, and I've got to lift it all the way maxed out to fit in my truck. Made me REALLY nervous loading it in and out the one time I've done it. I've got a new jack "foot" planned when the time comes to raise the whole assembly some as well as give me some more width so I'm not running over the tripod feet when I back under it.

I got you. I definitely want feet instead of tripods as well.

Keep in mind that an overhang lip over the body can negate the need for a perfect seal, and no seal is perfect.

The seal on mine was more of a t design from the factory. Finding an aluminum t and adding a seal should do the trick.

Yes! Started work on the inside- got sick last weekend so that slowed progress some, but I’ve got the cabinet face for the kitchen side all cut out, the fridge and furnace installed. Plan is to get the inside framed out and painted by the end of the weekend. Picked up some butcher block for the counter tops, so will get to work on that as well. Coming along!

Sweet!!!

I've been super sick as well since getting home....

What are you going to use for paint? I've been told that painting cabinets will not stick in the long run, but I'm not convinced myself that it won't work. I just hate putting in big work and having it not work out.

How heavy is the butcher block? Will that mess with your COG? Maybe not as I'm sure it will be short.....

Did you solve the outside edging?

I was just planning on using house paint. The cabinets in my house have been painted for decades, can't imagine why it won't work in the camper.

The butcher block is about an inch and a quarter thick, so not terribly heavy. Given I've got a 6.5 foot bed and my camper is the 7 footer, only about 2.5 feet will be behind the center of gravity, with just as much if not more being in front of it. Bascially I'm not too concerned about it effecting much. ill have the battery and water tank and solar panel all in front of the rear axle as well.

Still undecided on the outside edging. I'm pretty sure that aluminum channel will be the ticket, but havent pulled the trigger. I've really got to find a good free photo hosting site too as none of my pictures are uploading through tapatalk anymore. apparently they're too big

Got it...

At the suggestion of Sagebrush...I've been using Flickr. It is easier to use with my desktop, but I have had success with using the web version of "Wanderthewest". Unfortunately, Tapatalk is great at reading and replying with words, but falls very short with pictures. I had the same issues in the beginning of my posting.

Hi Guys,

looking like you are doing a great job on your Jayco. @Cory and Sagebrush, thanks for sharing my report.
Finally it comes out that y´all do a much better job than we did!. But you live in the Country of TruckCampers and DIYers.

We need to find a way to meet one day.....

Manfred

Thanks! I've made quite a bit of progress since the last update- cabinets done, painted, countertops done. Life has been really crazy lately, so havent had time for a good update with pictures, but it's coming!

Finally time for a big update! It's so close to finished and it's campable! We're headed to New Mexico next weekend for the long weekend. To sum up- I've installed all the cabinets, found some good metal trim to ring the roof, re-installed the furnace, installed the fridge, redone the floors, painted everything, new counter tops, installed the sink, and installed the vent fan. Still need to do some finishing touches and trim work, but it's so close! I really cannot believe the transformation...

full

full

full

full

full

full

corybrown50 said:
Swwweeeettt!!!!! She looks fantastic!!!
Thanks! I'm so very happy with it! Like I said, few odds and ends to finish up, but she's campable for sure! I really want to get her all wired up this week so we can use the furnace- supposed to be low 30s high 20s at night where were going camping.

Here's a question for everyone- and a dumb one, where do I ground my camper battery?

Ground it to the main ground of the pig tail in the 7 way/4 way if you need to. I never found any metal framing anywhere in mine. I take my battery out though and keep them on my battery tender.

if it's all 12 v though, I really don't need a "ground" for the battery itself according to what i'm reading. I do plan on pulling the battery and storing in my garage when not in use and putting it on a tender as well. I'd like to use to solar panel for that purpose, bu I also want to store it under a tarp.

Then you are correct. From the factory mine had a positive termination point in the ceiling above the bed. I didn't understand it either. 12v closed system you should be fine unless you "want one".

I got everything wired up and tested this weekend, and it works great without a chassis ground. Closed loop seems the way to go.

I did have to order some feet for my jacks though as somehow now the only way I can get it in my truck is to let air out of the tires, and that sucks. The jack tripods are also so wide that I have to run over them with my truck to get underneath it and I'm too afraid I'm going to knock it over!

The other thing I need to change is the propane line, I want to mount it on the outside of the camper and run it right under the furnace.. After testing things out this weekend and finding a leak, I don't want it leaking in the battery compartment and there being some sort of spark blowing the whole thing up!

Yep, that's what I ended up doing as well. Before answering, I double checked with my RV buddy that does repairs at a major store locally to be sure.

I have the tripods on mine....no problem running them over, and if they are pointed out it won't be much. I'd love to have electric, but $$$ I do not have.

I feel you on the propane. Mine is run on the outside mostly, at least from the driver side back. I also have had the blessing that I haven't camped yet in the cold, so I have been able to cook and turn the propane off without having to worry about it. That is on my list for this weekend actually as I have some time that I cannot hunt this weekend and hopefully the weather will be nice.

So so so close to 100%. Plan was to go camping in her this weekend, but I couldn’t get it high enough to get in my truck. So I finally made some feet for it and got her loaded up! Only two things left are a sink drain and re running the gas line outside the camper. So stoked!

I took it to the scale this evening, weighs right at 1,150 lbs. pretty impressed with how light it is. IMG_0084.JPGIMG_0054.JPG

Got my new line for the propane run, but I can't really figure out how to light the furnace. The manual I found online is pretty useless. Duo Therm 66000 series. Do they have an auto ignite pilot light? i don't see any buttons or anything that look like pilot light ignitors, nor do I see where you can light it with a match/lighter. Any help appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom