1997 Ranger II Interior Rebuild

joneskai

Hey WTW folks! Pretty new to this community. I've got a 1997 Ranger II that i've started the gut that I figure I may as well start a thread on. This should be interesting as it's my first camper "project". Hard not to feel overwhelmed already, but excited to learn a ton along the way.

The camper had the side dinette, and after a summer of using it we found it very non-functional for our purposes. We barely spent any time inside, and the wife, dog, and I were tripping over each other and there was no comfortable place to sit. All of our cooking is spent outside (for the most part, we did make coffee in the AM). We basically set-up camp outside and stay outsite. We just want somewhere comfortable we can hide out in when the BC weather starts acting up.

The plan: benches on both side, with some shelving directly left of the entry door. Space for 12v cooler fridge on opposing side of shelving. Delete propane altogether and remove the propane box. Delete plummed in water. Storage under expanded benches. Update the wiring / solar for alternator charging and shore power. Install diesel heater.

-A few initial questions that i'm unsure about (and I think i'll have a few) is how have people gone about sealing the exterior fridge and propane vent doors? Does anyone know of a post of someone who's done this?

-I haven't got to the barebones of the gut yet so I still need to wrap my head around the wiring, however does anyone know what the extra white wiring is in the exterior of the camper? Also, I know that the 6 pin is for my lights etc, but does one of the pins actually charge my aux battery? All of the wiring is original, so aside from the "truck lights", I believe I should update what I can.

-For interior panelling i'll likely use lauen plywood and rigid foamboard for insulation (courtesy of watching TG Morrissey's videos :).

I'll post up some more pictures and mockups ones i've gutted it completely and started making some progress. Cheers and thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20210313_163310_2.jpg
    20210313_163310_2.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 20210313_163219_2.jpg
    20210313_163219_2.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 118
joneskai said:
- A few initial questions that i'm unsure about (and I think i'll have a few) is how have people gone about sealing the exterior fridge and propane vent doors?
What do you plan to use for a cooking fuel? If propane or butane is still in the picture, even if it's just a small canister for a Jetboil stove,, it's still a good idea to stow the bottles in an exterior locker when you're not using them. You might find useful the propane locker that you alresady have. Also, the other vented, outside lockers that are no longer required might prove convenient for exterior storage of stuff you don't really want to clutter up the inside with. Just a thoght. Nice project! Best of luck.

Rich

Hey ri-f,

We plan to use small two burner propane stove, but we only ever cook outside. That's a good point about the exterior locker for storing propane. I think, I would possibly go the route of exterior mounts for 5lb propane. The propane locker takes up so much valuable interior space. If I keep it, it could be a good space for my diesel heater though. Decisions decisions....!

Yeah, we have exterior mounted propane tanks as well, never cook inside either, except for a Jetboil when we just want boiling water - super fast, about 1 1/2 minutes. Anyway, it's nice to have options for configuring your layout. You've got a clean slate. Fun project ahead.

Rich

Welcome! I have a 1993 Ranger so I'll be watching your progress. I stripped the 3-way fridge out of mine but have elected to leave the furnace and propane locker for now. I want to cut the locker down to house a single 5# cylinder which would free up a lot of space inside the camper.

As for the fridge vents, I cut pieces of plywood to seal the openings from the inside but still have the exterior vents. I need to order some material to close it off with a patch.

I too want benches on both sides towards the door.

Back
Top Bottom