1st gen Tundra or new Tacoma?

DonC

I'm looking to get a FWC camper and need to get a truck. I really like the size of the 1st gen Tundras and like that they have a V8. I can get an 05 or 06 for $15 - $20k. Should I be concerned about buying a truck that is 5 years old with 50 - 60k miles? I haven't bought a used car since I was a kid and I'm a little nervous about it. I only drive about 10k miles a year so could I reasonably expect this to last another 10 years and another 100k miles?

Another option is to get a new Tacoma. But the reason I like the Tundra option is that I can get the bigger Hawk, rather than the Eagle or Fleet.

I almost always travel by myself so maybe a Tacoma and Eagle or Fleet is big enough? I've never been inside a FWC so I don't know how much bigger a Hawk is. I know what the measurements are, but don't know how the extra inches really feel.

Although cost is always a consideration, I am more concerned about getting the right truck. If a new Tacoma is the best option then I'll go for it. But if a 5 year old 1st gen Tundra will get me 8-10 years, then I might want to go that way which gives me a V8 and more room in the camper.

I'm going to FWC in a few weeks to check them out, but am interested in peoples thoughts on trucks.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Note: I'm a Toyota guy and anything bigger than the 1st gen Tundra is too big for the trails I go on. So a new Tundra or Fords and Chevy's are too big.

I'm a Toyota guy too, Don. My 06 Tundra AC and 08 Hawk are a capable combo for us.
I've invested in mods to make it work: air bags, shocks, etc. and E rated tires. It adds up. But as my daily driver it's not over-sized, doesn't make a racket and is quite fun to drive. The big downside: MPG sucks 12-14 : (

There's a good case to be made to get a full size quad diesel and have it all; but it's damn big and it's a diesel. Diff't strokes for diff't folks. I'd love to see a clean blue-tec Taco sized diesel come from overseas.

Ok ... I will apologize in advance. I am not sure I get this "Toyota" thing. Aside from reliability (I have owned two Toyota Trucks and loved them both). But all things being equal, from what I can tell I am getting the same gas milage or better with a 98 Chev 1/2 ton. My initial purchase price is less and I get more power (when comparing to a Tacoma) and more space. I have not had problems with my truck being too big on the trails.

I respect brand loyalty and everyone that drives Toyota. I really enjoyed my two Toyota Trucks but traded up to a full size for more space and the same gas milage. BTW my 98
Chev has been very reliable and I have been very happy with it.

Teach me something. Let me have it.

PS: I have also noticed that GM is the least represented truck in the "Overland" arena.

I have a 2005 Tundra 4x4 TRD with a 2002 Hawk. This works well for me and the wife, she would not want a smaller camper. I purchased the Tundra new after driving ALL the other 1/2 tons on the market. I do not like the new larger trucks they are just too big. The new Tacoma was just out and I did look at it as it is almost the same size just not enough motor unless you add the supercharger ($$). In 2007 I looked at the new Tundra with the wife's blessing to get a new truck, it was just too big.

I just finished a 7,500 mile trip in the Tundra with no problems. I would not worry about a used Tundra if in good shape. I averaged almost 15 mpg on the trip with a high of 17mpg and a low of 10mpg (into the wind) I did drive the speed limit up to 75. I would have gotten better if I stayed at 55 or 60.

That being said I have a friend with a Chevy Z-71 who gets 20+. BUT to use off road he has to change wheels and remove the air dam in the front. There are a lot of good trucks out there buy the one that fits you.

My girlfriend and I visited the FWC factory when trying to make a decision on which camper to buy. We both felt cramped in the Eagle....but felt ok in the Hawk.

Even though you will be camping alone most of the time I think you'll be happier in a Hawk over the long haul.

I would go with the older Tundra. I would have absolutely no issue buying a used truck. In fact I have never bought a new vehicle, none of the used vehicles I have ever bought had less than 70k miles on them, and I have driven every used vehicle I have owned to over 250k miles.

I recommend buying from a private seller, one owner, all records etc. The key is to buy from a person who didn't really need a truck, there are lot's of them. i.e. no camper, no boat towing, etc. It's a crap shoot when buying used from a dealer, they purchase sight unseen from auctions all over the country. Detail them, have a mechanic give it a quick look and say it's been through a thorough 65 point inspection. The reality is they have no idea what the history or maintenance of the vehicle is.

FYI I currently have a 2000 GMC 1/2 ton that has carried my camper all over the country and continues to do so with 260k miles.

I have had tacoma's and we now have a 03 tundra with a FWC Kestral model for it. We love it! It is small for long trips but cozy. If you think you may need more room you may want a full size truck. Gas mileage sucks with the tundra but its smaller size is nice in the backcountry. I don't know what kind of gas mileage the Tacoma would get with the camper on it?

Back
Top Bottom