2000 Eagle rain issues

AmyandTheFinger

We have a 2000 eagle on a 2000 Toyota Tacoma. We have owned it for 2 1/2 years and had endless adventures. Due to life circumstances we are spending more time in the PNW so one of the issues has recently become a VERY big issue which is rain!
When it rains we can't have any windows open nor the fan vent. It becomes stuffy and the condensation is nearly unbearable. I see there are covers for the vent that are supposed to keep rain out but these appear to all be so high that it would eliminate being able to use our roof racks.
What do folks do in the rain?! We really want to keep the rig but this issue may end up being a deal breaker.
Any advice appreciated.

Do you have the front opening window towards the cab of your truck? You could leave that open as well as a turn buckle access to get some air movement.
Maybe a small battery operated dehumidifier or two?
Are you sure there aren't any leaks in the roof?

NrCalHusky- Yep, we have done that but the windows are all up in the cab so it didn't seem to make a difference. No known leaks. We re-did all the roof screws last winter and resealed all the seams as well so we feel pretty confident we are water tight. It was unfortunate that the product we used for that discolored and it looks really funky! Live and learn. Never thought of a battery operated dehumidifier. Interesting idea.
Thanks for the suggestion. We will look into that.

Do you have the jalousie style windows (slatted pieces of glass that crank open) on the side? These can be cracked open a bit & rain won't come in, especially if you have a canopy on that side. Combine that with the turnbuckle doors and/or sliding front window (if you have it) as norcalhusky mentioned. At the least you could open 2 of the turnbuckle doors for cross-ventilation.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Have you investigated using your exterior window flaps to act as a small awning cover for each window? Even with the window awning you also want to open the turnbuckle doors and add a small USB fan for circulation. There are some old posts about building a small angled frame that can attach to the outside velcro on each window and hold the flap away from the body of the pop-up material by about 8" to 12". Try doing a search for window flap awning or something similar. I reviewed the posts about a year ago but have not made time to actually do it... oh well, another item for my winter to-do list.

I've got a 2001 eagle on a 1998 Taco, so we have almost identical rigs. And I've had mine about 2.5 years, living in Norcal but usually do summer trips to Pac NW because wife is from that area.

IMG_4411.jpg

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/792-camper-mods/?hl=%2Bwindow+%2Bawning#entry8253

window_awning13r.jpg
Mvc-851c.jpg
Mvc-852c-S.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom