2000 Toyota Tundra access cab Pop Ups?

dashboardburrito

Advanced Member
Hey all, I'm researching pop ups for my new-to-me truck. I'm looking for something relatively light, w/outside shower, -don't need a toilet.

Intended usage: basecamp for mountain biking, river trips, skiing.

Needs to have a good furnace and window insulation kit, queen bed. My budget is around 2K, so I'm looking for a used one in good shape.
So far, the Northstar models look to be good.

** Also, I plan on upgrading my suspension with air bags to handle the extra weight- any recommendations?

**My truck has a 6 foot bed.

Thanks

Be aware that you will probably be over the Tundra's payload capacity by quite a bit with a Northstar and all your gear. Airbags will help but there are some potential safety concerns that you should consider. People here on the board have widely differing opinions on the potential consequences of an overloaded truck and you'll get opinions all over the map on that one.

Be aware that you will probably be over the Tundra's payload capacity by quite a bit with a Northstar and all your gear. Airbags will help but there are some potential safety concerns that you should consider. People here on the board have widely differing opinions on the potential consequences of an overloaded truck and you'll get opinions all over the map on that one.

So what do people who own Tundras do for a pop up? Are there lighter options out there I should be looking at?

So what do people who own Tundras do for a pop up? Are there lighter options out there I should be looking at?

Yes the Four Wheel and All Terrain campers are quite a bit lighter - a lot of people use those. Other people use heavier campers despite weight issue.

This site lists the Tundra Payload at 2,000 pounds, which is actually pretty good:

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/tundra.html

However, weight adds up fast. Subtract the weight of the driver, fuel, and misc stuff in the truck and you are probably down to about 1500 pounds. So the question is, what does the Northstar weigh? I'd guess 1200-1400 pounds. Leaving you with just a few hundred pounds for water, gear etc.

So back to what I was saying earlier, a lot of it has to do with how comfortable you are overloading your truck. IMO, a few hundred pounds over isn't a big deal with airbags. 1000 pounds over or more might be a big deal. This is where opinions vary widely. Some people here will tell you that they are not concerned at all about severely overloading a truck, and others will tell you its a matter of life and death.

Better check the FWC fit list for possible years that will fit your truck. The older campers can be too wide to fit the modern trucks. That may put them in your budget range, but if you can't get it on the truck, price won't matter.

Dashboardburrito,

I don't know the difference between my 2004 Tundra Access cab and your 2000, but I have a 2008 Northstar TC800XB that rides nicely on my Tundra with airbags & a Wheeler's leveling/lift. It would be nice to add a Deaver spring pack in the future, though.

Attachments

• Strubee Loop \'10.JPG
    Strubee Loop \'10.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Beartrap \'10.JPG
    Beartrap \'10.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 213
  • Spearfish City Campground.JPG
    Spearfish City Campground.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 212
  • Toyota sunset.JPG
    Toyota sunset.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 232
That's a sweet looking rig, but a little larger than what I'm thinking of.

What kind of milage do you get with it on the Tundra?

Roughly how much $ did you spend to upgrade your suspension?

** Thanks for the reply and pics!

That's a sweet looking rig, but a little larger than what I'm thinking of.

What kind of milage do you get with it on the Tundra?

Roughly how much $ did you spend to upgrade your suspension?

** Thanks for the reply and pics!

Thanks Dash! It is a little big, but I really like having the extra room for two adults and two dogs, plus any gear. It's been awhile since I purchased the air bags but it seems they were $180.00-$200.00. They were also an easy install. The Wheelers/Daystar lift (http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tundradstrlift.htm) was $155.00. I purchased the unit with the add-a-leaf.

The four wheel pop-up campers are a good choice for the tundra trucks.

Relatively light weight, low profile, all aluminum frame construction.

But you will probably have a REALLY hard time finding anything for the price range you are looking in.

Maybe an older (early 1980's) Fleet Model ?

The newer Hawk Models or Kestrel Models are going to get you back a few bucks.

Good luck on your search.

Be diligent, patient, and have cash in hand once you find something you like & can afford.

Used pop-up campers sell fast in most parts of the US.

:)

Hey all, I'm researching pop ups for my new-to-me truck. I'm looking for something relatively light, w/outside shower, -don't need a toilet.

Attachments

• IMG_6452.jpg
    IMG_6452.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Kestrel #1.jpg
    Kestrel #1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 143
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 162
  • trailer with tundra & kestrel.JPG
    trailer with tundra & kestrel.JPG