2001 Hawk Mattress Foam Modification;

craigf250

My Hawk's foam mattress has always been pretty firm ( to say the least ). I put a 1" memory foam topper on a few years ago, but it was still hard as a rock.

So I finally decided to do something about it;

I checked out various options but decided I didn't want to spend any money, or waste the foam I already had. I figured I'd try this out, and if it didn't work I'd pursue another solution, with only my time wasted.

I made a core drill out of 3/4" emt with a 1/2 bolt pushed in it. I sharpened the inside edge of the business end and got to work. I drilled a series of holes on 2" centers, concentrating on the areas where my shoulders, mid-section, and hips would lay.

The holes provided a bit of cushion, but the real difference was made by slicing halfway thru the foam in between the drilled holes. This allowed the individual foam columns to act like springs and conform to my body much easier.

I tried it out for a few nights and gotta say I am very happy with the results. It's like having a new bed, I can't believe I didn't do this sooner.

I thought the holes might reduce the insulation of the mattress, but have not noticed any issue yet. I did keep the cores I drilled out ( figuring I could cut them to 1" long pieces and plug the bottom of the mattress if needed ) but don't think that will be necessary.

Will follow up with a long term report once I get some more time in the saddle.

Best,

Craig

Attachments

• IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0419.jpg
    IMG_0419.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0492.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 139
Hello craigf250
That's neat looking, did you use the 1" topper after the mod? My crazy 1/2 half of my mind was wondering I bet there is some weight savings to be had there.
:)
Russ

admire the ingenuity .....Great re-use of something and kept out of a landfill! I too hated the bed foam and bought a new piece just for the large pillow. (Under hips and shoulder) Huge difference. I still have the original foam in the attic as I know I'll use it one day.
Well Done.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm still using the memory foam topper.

After I have a chance to use the modified mattress awhile I'm considering slicing 1" off of the bottom of the mattress foam to bring the overall height back to 4". I like leave my bedding on the bed when I lower the top and it gets a little tight when I latch the top down.

The bag of removed cores weighs 1lb 11oz, so not much weight savings. As the holes alone didn't make a huge difference in softness I suspect I could have drilled more.

The slices in the foam made the biggest noticeable difference. But I drilled first, then sliced, so can't say what the slicing alone would have been like.

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

Not much pleasure sleeping poorly, when out trying to have fun. Very creative way you made the original bed work and better than the way you got it. I was just joking about the weight savings, however thanks for the number, I'll sleep better tonight:)

Russ

My wife complained that our 2014 Hawk mattress did not keep her from getting a sore hip when sleeping on her side. We solved the problem by buying a Klymit double bed size air pad when they were available at Costco for $100. We've slept for 20+ nights and no complaints. We deflate it when dropping the top and reinflate it to sleep. The stuff sack serves as an air pump. It takes about 10 bags full of air to inflate for sleeping. Fits under the sleeping bag on top of the FWC mattress with top down.

Paul

PaulT said:
My wife complained that our 2014 Hawk mattress did not keep her from getting a sore hip when sleeping on her side. We solved the problem by buying a Klymit double bed size air pad when they were available at Costco for $100. We've slept for 20+ nights and no complaints. We deflate it when dropping the top and reinflate it to sleep. The stuff sack serves as an air pump. It takes about 10 bags full of air to inflate for sleeping. Fits under the sleeping bag on top of the FWC mattress with top down.

Paul
Paul, we have Hyper vent under the mattress in the Northern Lite. In addition to helping prevent condensation problems, I think it also helps with comfort.

PaulT said:
We solved the problem by buying a Klymit double bed size air pad
Paul
Paul, I just used one (a double as well) this past trip when we were with the WTW group. It is a keeper. I had no idea you also were using this. BTW it was great meeting you and your wife. I got a lot of good ideas from you and we loved your wife's pie!

Back
Top Bottom