2003 Hawk Furnace

Ronin

Hi - Need help retrofitting a furnace for my 2003 Hawk. Can anyone supply me with the manufacturer's name and model # of the furnace? Photos if possible. I've been told that my Hawk would have come with an Atwood Excalibur 8500 series that was mounted under the rear refrigerator. Looking at the dimensions of the current 8500 series I can't imagine how it fits in the small cabinet space below my fridge.
Thanks!!

You don't necessarily want to put in what they used to put in for a furnace. Technology has improved!

The latest Attwood that I am considering for my build is the 8021-11 - 12,000 BTU. Also check out the Propex HS2000. Both allow for a side vent and front vent. I like the idea of a side vent to bring some heat into the cabinets, to help prevent the pipes from freezing for cold weather camping.

Do you mean the 8012 model? I'm still trying to visualize how it would fit. Can it be mounted sideways with the discharge on the side? Also, would the exhaust vent out at the back of the camper to the left of the entry door. I just started looking into this and it's confusing because all of the pictures that I see show the cover plate on the end of the furnace. Much appreciate your input on this!!

If you are handy with retrofitting, look at a Propex furnace. Small and efficient. Provides plenty of heat for our Ocelot.

Did you install it yourself on your Ocelot? My main concern is I only have 9 1/2 " of depth so the unit would have to mount sideways. I have plenty of width and height available. I just haven't been able to find anything on-line illustrating a sideways mount and how the venting can be routed. Any pictures or links you have would be great. Thanks!

yes, 8012 model. Old age or dyslexia, pake your tick. :unsure:

According the manual (http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf)
for the 7920 which supersedes the 8012,

"Installation - This series of furnace can be installed either vertically or horizontally. If installed vertically, the exhaust port must be located at the bottom. Extra care must also be given in sealing this type of installation. Consult the installation manual for details"

I haven't been able to locate an installation manual, yet

Many thanks to all for your valuable info. It appears that the Propex can be installed in just about any configuration imaginable. It is pricey but can't beat the low battery draw. Still looking for a photo of a how the factory furnace fits in the small space below the frig. or is there anyone out there in the Sacramento area willing to let me take a look at their Hawk?!!

If your in Sacramento, you are close to atc and fwc factory's. I would start off by calling Marty at atc and asking for help and also a quote for them to install it. They have given me quotes before at very reasonable prices and then you know it's done right.

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

I've been to the FWC factory and spoke to them a few times about this. I'm waiting to hear back from them about a specific model # Atwood that will work/fit. Seems to be different opinions about this at FWC. They want me to order the furnace and they'll install it. I just want to make sure that what I order is going to fit cuz' I doubt if I'll be able to return it. I'm certainly open to going with another furnace such as a Propex if I have doubts about fitment. I've never installed a furnace before and I'm pretty sure I could do it but it's the small details I'm concerned about which is why I'd prefer to let the pro's handle it. What is ATC ?? Do you have a link or telephone # for them. Thanks!!

ATC is the All Terrain Camper gang, and they do excellent work. They build campers similar to FWC, and will repair or modify FWC campers. ATC is very open to customization. I'm waiting for a new ATC Bobcat that should be finished in a couple of weeks.

Give Marty and Jeff a call.

https://allterraincampers.com

Atc used work at four wheel campers and left and opened their own shop. Their campers look like the four wheel campers that were built 15-20 years ago and I don't think that is a bad thing. My camper that is 20 years old is in fantastic shape and with proper care, I'll get another 20+ years with it.

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

If you choose to go the non furnace route, I had a wave 3 in my first camper and it worked great. I pulled it out and going to install it in my grandby that has the factory installed forced air system. But you can find a buddy heater that has a lot of saftey features built in. It will turn off if tipped over and turn off if there is low oxygen. They are pretty cheap. Mine was from cabelas for 60.00 on clearance this past spring. Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heater https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002G51BZU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_VaT5xb82CX4VQ ImageUploadedByWander The West1474744420.304497.jpg

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

Spoke to Marty at ATC and he said no problem retrofitting an Atwood 12K BTU furnace in my Hawk. Gave me a price installed and he has the furnace in stock. I'm still waiting to hear back from FWC on this. Good to know there's someone near me who is knowledgeable and willing to work on my camper. I plan to visit their factory before spending a lot of $$ on a number of retrofits and upgrades to my camper. Looks like they make a nice camper and can customize it exactly how I want it all at a very reasonable $price$!

The Wave looks like a solid option. I have the buddy heater but it seems to blow out easily when I open the back door and there's a breeze. Does take the chill out very quickly though. I do a lot of high elevation camping in Ca and Nevada between Oct - Mar and temps have gotten down to 15* so I'm wanting to get a forced air heater to keep me comfy throughout the night. It's either getting colder each year or age has made me less tolerant !

based on quotes I have received from ATC and FWC, I'm guessing ATC will be much cheaper and also be able to get you in about 3 months sooner. Just my experience though. ATC is more of we will build and make you anything you want and FWC makes an amazing product and you can have it any color you want, as long as its black. (Long as its their way. but hard to blame them as it works so well for them.)

Well it's been 2 weeks now and I haven't heard back from FWC on which furnace to purchase to retrofit onto my Hawk. I visited the ATC showroom 2 days ago and spoke to Marty. He has the furnace I need and can also upgrade my frig to a 12volt compressor frig and install the 100 watt solar system I want. I took a look at the Ocelot model they have there and it looks just like my '03 Hawk except it has the extended bed. I priced one out and included my entire wish list thinking I could back out some things to keep the price reasonable. Surprise - it came in under $16K. This included a side dinette with modified cabinets to accommodate dual batteries and a custom wardrobe near the rear door as well as a few other custom tweaks. They also use the Renogy 100watt solar system that I was planning to install. The other impressive thing is they build the camper to fit my 2014 Tundra's higher side bed so I actually gain 3-4 " height inside and a taller door - not just a built up platform that creates a higher step in and out of the camper. In short, they are willing to build me a custom camper. I was resigned to spending 3-4K$ to upgrade my Hawk but this gives me new fuel for thought!! Anyone hear anything negative about ATC??

Ronin said:
Anyone hear anything negative about ATC??
I've never heard anything bad (In fact, only excellent reviews and comments) about ATC, and that's the reason I chose them when I downsized from my Grandby. They are easy to work with, flexible about customer needs and customizations, and I have no regrets.

Ronin said:
Well it's been 2 weeks now and I haven't heard back from FWC on which furnace to purchase to retrofit onto my Hawk. I visited the ATC showroom 2 days ago and spoke to Marty. He has the furnace I need and can also upgrade my frig to a 12volt compressor frig and install the 100 watt solar system I want. I took a look at the Ocelot model they have there and it looks just like my '03 Hawk except it has the extended bed. I priced one out and included my entire wish list thinking I could back out some things to keep the price reasonable. Surprise - it came in under $16K. This included a side dinette with modified cabinets to accommodate dual batteries and a custom wardrobe near the rear door as well as a few other custom tweaks. They also use the Renogy 100watt solar system that I was planning to install. The other impressive thing is they build the camper to fit my 2014 Tundra's higher side bed so I actually gain 3-4 " height inside and a taller door - not just a built up platform that creates a higher step in and out of the camper. In short, they are willing to build me a custom camper. I was resigned to spending 3-4K$ to upgrade my Hawk but this gives me new fuel for thought!! Anyone hear anything negative about ATC??
Only negative I have heard is that their "campers" are out of style.What that has to do with how they work out on the road,well you got me.
For my 2 cents worth I am very happy to have selected ATC for my Bobcat camper 7 years ago .
I did the research between both companies and price comparison. In Oct of 09 there was a $3.000 less difference between ATC and FWC plus a better costumer service,IMO.
If you want a great camper made for "you" by the owners of the company ATC is the best bet.
Frank

The price difference is closer to $5-6,000 now which is why I had decided to do some upgrades. I'm a pretty spartan guy and really like to go off the beaten path so a new Ocelot would seem pretty modern/comfy to me. I bought my Hawk used in 2008 so I didn't get to choose how it was outfitted. Having used it for 8 years I have a very good idea of what my ideal camper would be like, and with ATC's willingness to make the mods I want it comes pretty close to my ideal camper.

Back
Top Bottom