2004 Eagle on 3rd Gen Tacoma?

CF604

Hey all,

I recently found a great deal on a solid looking 2004 Eagle, but I'm feeling a bit lost on what kind of considerations there are for installing this on my 3rd Gen Tacoma. Any insights on what I might need to do to make this work would be a huge help to weighing this decision.

Has anyone done an install like this, or have a sense of what I need to know?

Thanks!

Hi CF,
The biggest thing is you will need to put the camper on a frame of wood between the bed and camper because of the difference in the bed sides vertical height. Contact Stan at Four Wheel. stan@fourwh.com. He can tell you the thickness of the platform you need and may have some pictures, plus give you any other info you may need to know.

What truck are you putting it on? If it is a Toyota it fits the Tacoma 1997 - present and the first Gen Tundra. Tundra is the same width as the second Gen Tacoma and 1 foot longer because it came with a V8.

When we ordered our 2012 Eagle we had it built to fit on a second Gen Tacoma. because at the time we couldn't afford a new truck. The following pcs show it on the '99 and 2013. On the 2013 there is less than 1" space between the top of the rails . On the '99 about 4 inches. Pictures don't show the difference. More obvious if you look at the distance between the top of the cabs and bottom of the camper.
Hope some of this info helps. Good luck on your decision.

Forgot to add Suspension comment
You will need either air bags for part time camper carrying or New rear springs for full time. On both trucks we added a new " rear spring set" to support 1,800 pounds and "E" Rated tires. '99 needed a 6 leaf. 2013 a 5 leaf. The camper is bolted down full time.
The second and third Gen Tacoma's have a plastic bed. I had my welding shop weld plates on the frame to bolt to. In over 8 years and 67,000 miles the bolts never came loose.

If you want more general info on the Eagle check out my post. The link is under my signature.
gallery_2684_938_108439.jpg

gallery_2684_938_245694.jpg

Forgot to add Suspension comment

You will need either air bags for part time camper carrying or New rear springs for full time. On both trucks we added a new " rear spring set" to support 1,800 pounds and "E" Rated tires. '99 needed a 6 leaf. 2013 a 5 leaf. The camper is bolted down full time.
The second and third Gen Tacoma's have a plastic bed. I had my welding shop weld plates on the frame to bolt to. In over 8 years and 67,000 miles the bolts never came loose.

I had an Eagle on my 3rd gen until recently when I swapped for a new Fleet. Mine was set up like this:

*4WC installed brackets bolted through the plastic liner to the bed frame that you can then attach turnbuckles to hold the camper in place. Highly recommend the OEM solution here.

*3/4 inch plywood to raise the camper up so that it doesn't rest on the sides of your bed.

*Old Man Emu (no reservoir) shocks all around. Old Man Emu Add a Leaf springs, Firestones with Daystar Cradles, BFG All Terrains

Ran great with the Eagle and also does with my new (and heavier) Fleet.

Back
Top Bottom