2005+ Toyota Tacomas

bsharp007

Fyi if you own a Tacoma with a composite bed and have had problems with the FWC factory mounting bracket bending as I did, FWC now is making a beefier bracket that may solve this problem. It replaces the rear bar only and mounts the same way as the old one with the OEM Torx bolts. I picked mine up at FWC and installed it yesterday. I'll take some pics as soon as I take the camper off to show the difference, but basically it's built wider to better distribute the load. The pic is what happened to the old one. P6250169.JPG

Here's a picture of the old FWC bracket next to the new one.

Attachments

• 0915091611.jpg
    0915091611.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 176
no backing plate will be needed

those steel bars are bolted right into the truck frame

:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

. . . don't forget the backing plates.

I have a 2009 eagle on a 2009 Tacoma, The rear mounting brackets has a slight bend but is working fine. Do you know if FWC is going to replace tacoma owners with the new mounting bracket or is this something we will have to pay to replace in the future. I am still happy with the mounting bracket after spending a month in Alaska this year and having no problems. But I did mostly long drives with some off road but no 4x4. Did your mounting bracket bend over time from wear and tear or was it from off road 4x4?. My FWC was purchased used so I don't know if I have any warranty or not.

Thanks,

Tony

I have a 2009 eagle on a 2009 Tacoma, The rear mounting brackets has a slight bend but is working fine. Do you know if FWC is going to replace tacoma owners with the new mounting bracket or is this something we will have to pay to replace in the future. I am still happy with the mounting bracket after spending a month in Alaska this year and having no problems. But I did mostly long drives with some off road but no 4x4. Did your mounting bracket bend over time from wear and tear or was it from off road 4x4?. My FWC was purchased used so I don't know if I have any warranty or not.

Thanks,

Tony

Stan?

Just give our service dept. a call if you decide you need to change the bracket.

They will be able to tell you if it will be covered warranty or not.

New, original owner purchased campers will be covered under warranty for sure.

If the back bar gets a little to bent over the years for your comfort level, you can always switch the front & rear bars around. This should give you many more years on enjoyment.

FWC SERVICE DEPT:

Ask for Rich or Chicali

800-242-1442

We have tons of campers running around on the 2005 - 2009 Toyota Tacoma trucks and the slight bend in the bar just doesn't seem to be a big problem. I'm glad we fixed it, but the old ones should be just fine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stan?

Thanks,

Tony

Hi Tony
My rear bracket bent on my first off road trip with an almost brand new camper. That being said if you have not had
a problem to date, I wouldn't worry too much. However I know at least a couple of other members here who have had the same issue and wanted to let them know there's a potential fix. I appreciate FWC quickly resolving this issue and redesigning the brackets, shows that they are a quality company and stand behind their products.

I am in the market for a 05 or newer tacoma, is this the only way to mount the campers or can one ad individual anchors to the factory bolts in the bed, as i do not have the cross bars from FWC...

Torklift makes a frame mount for Tacomas. When Marty mounted the Bobcat on my Tacoma, he used backing plates on the rear mounts and the Torklift spring loaded mounts on the front. We could have used backing plates on the front as well, but I liked the idea of the Torklift mounts. The advantage is that the camper rides flat on the floor of the truck bed rather than having two bars under it. Both methods mount the camper well, so it's your choice. You can see the attachment in the photo below.
Camper2.jpg
The mounts come off for when the camper is not on the truck. Remove a pin and the mount comes out.

The brackets we have been using seem to work very well.

The new brackets that were redesigned should be even better !

We also put rubber bed mat material in front of, in the middle of, and behind the 2 black cross bars.

This gives the camper floor a little more insulation, some cushioning & tackiness, and makes a nice flat surface for the camper to rest on.

We really didn't want the camper right on top of the slippery, black "plastic" bed.

The Tork-Lift tie downs are good stuff -- nice quality.

But most of our customers don't seem to want the external tie downs hanging off the outside of the truck.

Back
Top Bottom