2006 FWC Electrical Issue

zoomzoom

Hello, I have a 2006 FWC Hawk that has an electrical issue and could use some advice on how to diagnose and fix the problem.

I purchased the camper in 2022 and have used it a handful of times. It has solar that I suspect was installed by the prior owners. When I purchased the camper, the furnace wouldn't light unless I stated the truck. I suspected that this was because the batteries inside of the camper were not supplying enough watts. Also, the FWC camper battery monitor suggested that the batteries were in "poor" condition (perhaps suggesting that they lacked enough of a charge), yet the solar monitor suggested that they were fully or mostly charged. Everything else worked fine.

Now the furnace will no longer light when the truck is running and will only work when plugged into shore power - suggesting that the connection from the truck to the camper is not working. The lights on the solar panel monitor light up to indicate the condition of the batteries, but no other lights turn on - suggesting to me that the solar panel is not charging the batteries. I've checked the cord running from the truck to the camper (when the truck is on) and the cord running from the solar panels to the camper and both seem to have little to no amps running through them. I have confirmed that the batteries are being charged when plugged into shore power. I have also confirmed that the alternator is working and providing power to my truck.

Initially, I thought that this issue might be resolved by replacing the batteries, but I've brought the camper to NAPA and Autozone for tests and both stores have confirmed that the batteries are in great condition. They are marine grade batteries (not lithium ion).

Any thoughts on what I should do next to diagnose this issue? Could there be a fuse or two somewhere that I'm overlooking? There is nothing by the batteries themselves and I have checked the main fuses. I know that there is a charge controller in the camper - could this be malfunctioning in some way?

Thank you!!

Sounds like a bad connection to me. The batteries could test fine, but not be able to charge/run things because of bad wiring. With your camper batteries NOT fully charged, how much current is coming from the Solar Panels and/or truck?

Sounds like a bad connection to me. The batteries could test fine, but not be able to charge/run things because of bad wiring. With your camper batteries NOT fully charged, how much current is coming from the Solar Panels and/or truck?
A volt meter can help but miss lead you at the same time. Dirty, corrosion on connections can pass voltage with no load but fail to deliver the proper volt / amps to make things work.

Check and clean all connections. Look for loose wires by tugging them. The ground wire circuit is often overlooked and most of the time it is a bad ground connection.

Check the voltage of the stater battery with engine in and off. Do the same at both sides of the camper isolation relay. Look or listen to that relay energize above 12.8v or so (engine on), and de-energize at less (engine off).

Like others have said, tug wires, check connectors.

Back
Top Bottom