2007 and Newer GM

winter200

Advanced Member
Stan, I see you updated your fit list, Whats the deal with the new gm pickups and the notes on used campers?

hey winter200

On the new 2007 / 2008 Chevy / GMC trucks they tweaked the tail gate opening and truck bed design in the tail gate opening again.

The older Chevy / GMC trucks had a tail gate opening of approx. 60" wide.

The newest Chevy / GMC trucks have a tail gate opening that tapers down in the lower part of the opening to somewhere around 58 1/2" wide. Not good for the truck camper owners who have older campers !

Most of the older Four Wheel Campers built from 1990 - 2001 have a camper base that is 59 3/4" wide. I don't think these campers are going to fit in the newest Chevy / GMC trucks !

About the middle of 2001 1/2, FWC narrowed all of the camper bases on the Hawk & Grandby Models to approx. 57 3/4" wide so the camper would fit on the Toyota T100 and Toyota Tundra trucks that have a 58" tail gate opening.

And to complicate maters, Chevy / GMC also added a rounded corner that attaches the side walls of the truck bed to the floor, creating one more fit issue to deal with. See pictures attached below.

The rounded corner is not too big of a deal, because you can add a 5/8" or a 1" sheet of plywood under the camper so the camper will clear these rounded corners.

On the newest Four Wheel Campers we are building right now, our camper base is narrow enough so the camper fits in the tail gate opening just fine, but we are interrupting the runners we have under the camper on the back edge of the camper for a better fit and better look of the camper on those particular trucks.

It is an easy modification when we are building a new camper.

It is not so easy for all of the people that have older truck campers.

:(

Hope this information helps.

===================================================

Stan, I see you updated your fit list, Whats the deal with the new gm pickups and the notes on used campers?

Attachments

• 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 363
  • 2222.jpg
    2222.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 358
This is how I came to own my Hawk-- The previous owner bought a 2007 Chev to put under the camper and found out that it didn't fit.

Modify metel either cut and re-weld sheetmetal or a big hammer to index.

Put on a spray in liner and never see the fix.

Well, it looks like the sidewalls of the box are a little taller also. My 04 had walls 19.5 inches tall and the new 08 has sidewalls 21 inches tall.

Back
Top Bottom