2008 Phoenix Updating

michgoblue

Sold my 1987 Four Seasons Magnum (to be picked up this Friday) and purchased a 2008 Phoenix for what I sold my old camper for. I had spent the Winter updating the old camper in preparation for this Summer, so now trying to catch-up with the new camper.

Well the big issue for the Phoenix was that it had some leakage in the past, which left some residual staining and warping, and also resulted in the removal of the underbed storage it seems. It also had a bent lifting bar, and a pretty weird electrical set up.

I have had it for a couple weeks and done the following:

1. Cleaned and treated the canvas with 303 (two coats). I don't think it had been treated before/in a long time and this may be one of the major reasons for past leaking.
2. Recovered the side bench and added a Lagun table. Delivery from the UK was really quick and I am very impressed with the quality.
3. Installed two 120 watt flexible solar panels mounted on aluminum angle and then bolted to the Yakima tracks on the roof. Went with the flexible panels as they are lighter and I don't have a good way to install exterior lifting struts due to the front valence of the camper. Have it configured so that I can very easily add a 3rd panel if needed.
4. Sealed the roof rack screws with spray on rubber flex-seal. The roof screws appeared to a possible source for roof leaks given how poorly sealed they were.
5. Replaced the original converter with a WFCO 8735 three stage converter/charger. Went with the WFCO as it was supposed to be a drop in replacement, but ended up having to modify both the cabinet and the facing of the converter.
6. Rebuilt the under bed storage, with lifting struts, along with rebuilding the slide-out for the bed. It is a small E-W Queen when closed and an oversized N-S Queen when open (my preference).
7. Replaced the bent lifting bar with conduit. Also treated the lifting tracks with silicone and teflon spray as suggested by Cari at Phoenix campers when I asked about doing the repair of the lifting bar. This helps make it really easy to open and close. I think the bar got damaged due to drag in the tracks.
8. Adding VMAX XTRM 155ah battery (arrives via UPS today). This is the largest size battery that will fit in the space under the fridge. Previous owner used a Group 24 unsealed battery and put it in the truck bed. But since I have a midsize instead of full size, I can't fit it in the wheel well so went with an AGM that will go inside. Will see how things go to determine if I need more solar or an additional battery. With a 3 way fridge and adding a catalytic heater there is not much power draw.
9. Adding 30A Mppt controller with remote head (will mount this after I get the battery in place)
10. Adding DC volt indicator, dual USB ports, and car charging ports.
11. Adding Wave 3 catalytic heater (purchased here last week). Will either run a second line from the the propane tank or use the propane from the 3 Way fridge if I replace it. Going to test out the 3 way first to see how I like it. I had a 65L Truckfridge 2 way in my older camper that I really liked a lot, but want to see of the 3 way works before I drop the cash on a new Truckfridge. Thinking the 2 way will be better for ferry rides, though none are super long here.

Edit: Almost forgot I forgot I have a True ACR (automatic charge relay) to use as a battery separator when connected with my truck. https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Battery-Isolator-Voltage-Sensitive/dp/B00400IYTK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493075147&sr=8-2&keywords=true+smart+battery+isolator

I should have all the electrical work done by Tuesday, so will just be waiting to decide how to connect the Wave 3. Then I need to order some new bench cushions and maybe build a forward bench for storage.

Having spent the Winter working on my old camper in the garage, I really had a good idea what I liked and didn't like in a new one. When the new one came along it was really easy to see what I wanted to change and having had practice doing the updating it has been going pretty quickly - and I am doing a neater job while I do it. The big difference is that the old camper was pretty worn out exteriorwise while the new one is if pretty good shape with regards to the exterior. Also the new camper is shorter so wont extend onto my tailgate, yet has a larger over cab section so has more storage there as well as better sleeping set-up.

Haven't taken many pictures yet but will try to get some once I put it back on my truck this week.

Attachments

• IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 122
Sounds like you've made a lot of progress in a short amount of time!
Could you post a couple of pictures on how you mounted your Lagun table bracket? I'm still trying to figure the best way to do it.
Thanks!

Do you mind giving me some beta on your upgrades? I have a 2001 phoenix and need to upgrade the power so I can run my laptop and work from the camper. I have a 100w solar and 1 deep cycle battery at the moment.

For these 2 here, what did you use? Where did you buy them? Looking around amazon and places I get super overwhelmed.
9. Adding 30A Mppt controller with remote head (will mount this after I get the battery in place)

I really appreciate any help.

dtimms said:
Do you mind giving me some beta on your upgrades? I have a 2001 phoenix and need to upgrade the power so I can run my laptop and work from the camper. I have a 100w solar and 1 deep cycle battery at the moment.

For these 2 here, what did you use? Where did you buy them? Looking around amazon and places I get super overwhelmed.

I really appreciate any help.
For the controller I used this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GMUPH0O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got it for my old camper mostly because it came with the remote head and was a good price. Seemed to work really well so I bought it again for the new one.

For the Ports and Indicator, I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BXTX11Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Easy to install and the readout is really easy to read - I put it so I can see through the cab window and thus can see it from outside the truck to check how the battery is doing.

To run a laptop you'll need an inverter. I purchased this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SLDDHQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got it mostly to charge batteries. You can either plug it into the car charger port or wire it directly. I used the port in the old camper but will wire it directly in the new one just to make it easier.

How long you can use the laptop on the house power will depend on your solar array and your battery size. In my old camper I had 2 x 6v deep cycle batteries that gave me 200ah (100 usable), plus had 360w of solar. Also I forgot I have a True ACR (automatic charge relay) to use as a battery separator when connected with my truck - works awesome and the company is great for service (I called on a Sunday morning to leave a message and the owner has the customer service line forwarded to his cell and answered all my questions!). So basically my batteries were always topped off and I could run the lights, fan, fridge, heater, and a 19" flatscreen with DVD to watch movies at night and still be like 80% charge in the morning where I would get topped off again right away. I would suggest adding at least another 100w panel and probably another deep cycle battery if you plan to use your laptop for extended periods, on top of the rest of what you are running.

smlobx: I will try to get some pictures today - its pretty plain and I don't have my table mounted to the Lagun bracket yet (trying to decide on the table size now - I have a 18"x30" piece of finished birch plywood that I was going to use but it feels a little big for my smaller space, so I think I am going to cut it down to 18x24.

smlobx said:
Sounds like you've made a lot of progress in a short amount of time!
Could you post a couple of pictures on how you mounted your Lagun table bracket? I'm still trying to figure the best way to do it.
Thanks!
Here is a quick pic of how I mounted the bracket. I had to get some longer screws due to have I have my bench set up (the top part of the bench slides out over the bottom to make a wider sleeping platform if needed.)

Attachments

• IMG_0702.JPG
    IMG_0702.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 122
Vic Harder said:
those linked items are wonderful. Great prices!
Thanks. I did a little searching around and review reading, but ultimately went with what I found on Amazon as they ship it here fast (often same or next day) and it is really easy to return things if they don't work out.

Well I got everything done except these:

11. Adding Wave 3 catalytic heater (purchased here last week).

The Volt Indicator was bad so I need to order a new one (will arrive today) and I still need to decide on the fridge. I am pretty sure I want to go with a two-way truck fridge again but will test out the three-way in May so I at least know the pros and cons of those as well.

I ended up mounting the Solar Controller, ACR (Isolator) and the battery under the fridge and boxing it off. Takes up minimal space and just takes 4 screws to get to things if needed (with a remote head and AGM battery there should be no reason to though). I have the inverter mounted on the side of the box and permanently wired to the battery (has an on/off switch). Never used an inverter in the camper before (everything tends to have DC adapters), but for charging laptop and camera batteries it is going to be needed.

Still need to clean up my wiring some as I left slack so as to be able to pulls things out to work on them. Will wire tie things up so they are neat and out of the way. Also can't find the junction box for the solar wire pass through on the roof. I have a grommet in it along with self leveling sealer, but want to cover it with a junction box as well so it looks neater. Before I hooked up the solar panels I decided to seal the roof tracks along the sides as I noticed other folks here have done that and probably it was a source of leaks on this camper.

Hopefully next week I can put the camper back on the truck and test out the solar set-up and decide if I do want to add a 3rd panel. Also I need to order some new cushions as the old ones I have for it are kind of ugly. Will try to get more pics up soon.

Back
Top Bottom