2012 February to Eastern Sierra Nevada

Thanks, all, for the kind words. I post trip reports because I enjoy it -- I'm glad that others do, too.
smile.gif

i have always thought that it would be a great spot for a wander the west get together
as it is a central location for a lot of folks on this site.
as someone who has spent a lot of time in the area there are a lot of exploring to do
for those who like to do more than drive,neat mining areas,hiking,and much history.

Yes -- lots of potential as a Rally spot! Probably best in the cooler months of the year.
I did little off-road-on-foot exploring on this trip (my first), other than to scamper up on a couple of small ridges for photo-advantage, so I need to return more times to see what's really there.

...I was digging the spheroidal weathering of the granite. The psoriasis-like surface is the result of spheroidal weathering and the resulting exfoliation, where onion-skin like sheets spall off of the rock. Happens commonly with plutonic rock from the granite family. Back here in the East, we see much of the same, but deep soils hide much of it.
If there is a broader and deeper cornucopia of petrology, mineralogy, structural geology, and economic geology within a fairly small area (north of Bishop to west of Lone Pine to Cerro Gordo) elsewhere within the Lower 48, I'd like to know where it is. Flat-out awesome.

Even though I'm not a geologist...the visible, naked, geology is one of the things I love most about the area. And the visible landforms (without all that messy vegetation and decayed vegetation
wink.gif
) are what I love about the arid lands in general.

We like the Volcanic Tablelands too, as Benton aficionados. Lot's of easy to locate petroglyphs there and apparently a good number that are off the beaten path. I know of the Rowell image; hope you get there some day.
Pine Creek canyon has a large active (when I was there last) mining operation, BTW. I believe it's a tungsten mine. As a hiking destination I have found it less than ideal due to the mining impact.

I'll definitely seek out the Sky Rock next time -- I have the exact spot marked/saved on Google Earth -- just a short hike up from the Chalk Bluff road.
Thanks for the tip/warning about Pine Creek. Looking at it from a distance the narrow relief looked appealing -- I was thinking it would be cool to do a 360 panorama in there. So, maybe I will do that...but not plan on camping there.

A couple of weeks ago, when my wife and I drove to LA and back we were eyeballing several places along 395 to explore this coming season.

And in the warm season there're a lot more places accessible and campgrounds open (if you like campgrounds)

I really need to make it to the alabama hills. How was the weather there? How were the roads in the volcanic table lands? I skipped those last time I was in the area due to not having a spare.
Looks like winter camping may be in my future. I'm already working six days a week :mad:

The weather was fine -- unseasonably fine, I'd say. I expect that in summer it gets too warm there -- for me, anyway. The main roads in the Volcanic Tablelands are graded and maintained -- high speed...although there was washboard in the usual kind of spots that breed washboard. I took a lower-grade road when I thought I could use it as a shortcut to the Sky Rock. It was exposed-rock rough in a few spots, but nothing that would cut a tire (at reasonable speeds).

On the plus side: Doesn't extra-work-time mean extra/overtime pay -- more money for trip-fuel? But I guess that doesn't matter if you don't get the time to take trips!

In your nice twilight photo of Venus & Jupiter, Mercury is hiding behind the peak in the twilight. If folks haven't seen Mercury before, head out in twilight soon. By mid-March it will be getting close to the Sun and hard to see. You can use Jupiter and Venus as pointers toward Mercury (pointing toward the horizon).

Thanks for the "pointer", highz! I'll seek out a vantage point with a clear view of the western horizon.
smile.gif
I've only spotted Mercury a couple of times in the past (that I'm aware of). I usually forget that there's something else visible sunward of Venus.

Thanks for the "pointer", highz! I'll seek out a vantage point with a clear view of the western horizon.
smile.gif
I've only spotted Mercury a couple of times in the past (that I'm aware of). I usually forget that there's something else visible sunward of Venus.

I know several professional astronomers who haven't seen Mercury with the naked eye. You're already ahead of them...

Thanks again for the trip report. A great mental mini-vacation.

One thing I forgot to mention but worth noting from my trip-home day -- a bit of a heads-up to regulars of the area passing through in the next few weeks:
Early in that 600-mile, 11-hour-driving-home day I stopped at the Hays Street Cafe in Bridgeport. I'd already had breakfast in my camper and couldn't justify the extra/unnecessary (but delicious) calories of a second breakfast...but somehow I did justify buying one of their giant cinnamon rolls. (The desirability of these was something I learned from The Lady ski3pin when I met them in the area last October -- thanks!
smile.gif
) I think I rationalized that I'd be eating it over several hours as I drove, so the calories/hr were reasonable.
rolleyes.gif
Very nice.
When I paid for this giant treat I saw a sign that said they'd be closed from late-February to early April. I asked the proprietor about it, and he said they needed the time for some remodeling or repairs -- something like that, as well as just to enjoy a few days off.

So: don't plan on enjoying breakfast or lunch -- or giant cinnamon rolls -- at Bridgeport's Hays Street Cafe until the second week in April.
sad.gif

<snip>
When I paid for this giant treat I saw a sign that said they'd be closed from late-February to early April. I asked the proprietor about it, and he said they needed the time for some remodeling or repairs -- something like that, as well as just to enjoy a few days off.

So: don't plan on enjoying breakfast or lunch -- or giant cinnamon rolls -- at Bridgeport's Hays Street Cafe until the second week in April.
sad.gif

Looks like they're adding a week or two to their usual March closure this year. Glad you enjoyed another of those cinnamon rolls!

We have enjoyed the places you've visited many times. Your narrative and wonderful photos bring memories back. It is also great to experience the area through your perspective. Thanks for letting us tag along!

Great TR Mark. I agree with Les, The Alabama Hills would be a great place to have a gathering. There are several areas near there I would like to check out that could be day trips with AH being a base camp.

Great TR Mark. I agree with Les, The Alabama Hills would be a great place to have a gathering. There are several areas near there I would like to check out that could be day trips with AH being a base camp.

Guys, I get back from the coast and there is a gathering being planned-great this has been a long boring winter so far-for the Alabama Hills! Good PR job Mark, looks like a place of interest to play. I did some playing/working around the Bridgeport area years ago and it had some neat areas. :) Have to force myself to think positive about going to the south of there though, sort of an old northern California/Nevada BLMer dislike for all things in the south-they got all the money to manage those folks from LA; high desert vrs low desert prejudice-my desert is better than your desert sort of a thing, but I think I'll be on board-keep convincing me! It was almost 70 in Reno yesterday, and it's snowing here in Susanville today and get warm again on Wednesday-what a screwed up winter this has been! That sure looked like a fun trip though Mark! Hey Ted got some pictures of old HW 1 falling into the sea, will try to post later today!

Smoke

Thanks again MBC for another super TR. Really makes me long for another Sierra east-side adventure. Used to hit this area quite regularly in the hey day of my rock climbing prowess but not so much for a long time. A few of those pano pix look like they would make for some fine large prints, especially the one with saturated lenticular clouds over the Sierra crest.

Pine Creek Canyon is worth the trip for sure, even with the mine at the head of the canyon its worth the jaunt. The old company town at the entrance (Rovana??) was always my dream for a place to live in that neck of the woods. There are trail-heads at the end of the canyon for some super Sierra high country hikes, of course with brutal elevation gain to boot.

Have a fond memory of sleeping in the dirt in the Buttermilks at mid-summer worrying about the scorpions gaining access to my sleeping bag. Being in the Buttermilks at mid-summer is sort of crazy anyway but that's another story.

cheers-

Thanks, Craggy. :)
At some point I need to go back over my favorite/most-successful photos and consider prints. I haven't done that in a few years. The great thing about shooting RAW files and having enough hard-drive space that I don't have to discard anything is that I can always go back and re-process better/different and/or process for prints.

Beautiful pictures Mark, love the panoramic views, looks like a great trip. Cool to see that you checkout out and enjoyed the Buttermilks, It's one of my favorite places to stay around the Bishop area. I would normally be up there right now, for the Blake Jones on the 17th but had to cancel the trip this time, I do plan on going up there in May, maybe for mule days.

Back
Top Bottom