2014 Grandby on 2015 Tundra 8-foot bed

BILL98388

First post for new owner.

My (new to me) 2014 Grandby rests on the side rails of the Tundra bed, not on the floor of the (pick-up) bed. Is that a problem? Should I build a platform to fill the (about) 1-inch space?

Bill
Steilacoom, WA

Oops, now I see.....The floor of the Grandby has stringers that rest on the pick-up bed (not present where I could see easily but found by looking closely ;-)) AND the sides of the Grandby rest on the pick-up bed side rails too. Mystery solved, sorry for the premature post.

Bill

Update: FWC confirms that I need 1-inch between bed rail top and Grandby (above bed rail). Camper is off at the moment, I'll fix it now.

Bill

Hi Bill-
Welcome!

Yes, the camper resting on the side rails is a problem! The camper floor needs the support of resting on the floor or a raised platform. They are not designed to be used without floor support, neither are the side rails designed to support the weight of the camper.

Build that platform right away.

Scott

I have the Ford/Toyota model Hawk in a GMC and I have the exact opposite problem.

The side of the camper shouldn't touch your bed rails. Your box still needs to be able to flex.
Give a little bit of clearance. I'm sure somebody can tell you exactly how much is needed, but I'd guess about an inch.

Back
Top Bottom