2014 (Sept.) Hawk, roof solar wiring but no plug?

Big Steve

Advanced Member
I'm preparing to install solar on our 2014 Hawk. The camper has wiring in the battery compartment for solar comprised of two 2-wire leads labeled "Rear Solar" and "Roof Solar". Per my continuity check, the Rear Solar wires are connected to a plug on the left rear of the camper, i.e., no problem with Rear Solar.

However, there is no roof solar plug. I've seen them on other FWC campers, e.g., my bud's 2016 Fleet, thus I now what I'm looking for.

AFAICT, the black/red Rear Solar wiring leads to the front lift panel, where it is bundled with the Fantastic Fan wiring. All 4 wires (2 for FF, 2 for RS) are taped on the backside of the front lift panel and pass through a port to the (hidden) space between the roof and the roof liner.

I'm puzzled. Is it possible the factory pulled the wires into the roof space, then forgot to install the roof plug? Or is the roof plug hidden somewhere?

FTR, I ordered and paid for solar wiring. I picked up the camper at the Woodland factory in September 2014.

Thank in advance for responses.

Contact FWC. The solar wiring option is supposed to include an SAE plug in the roof. If you know the right location, cutting a hole in the roof is not particularly difficult. I would suggest an MC4 roof connector instead of the SAE. Seal it well.

Big Steve, my 2014 Fleet also came with solar pre wire to roof and rear but only had the Zamp SAE port on the rear. This is how I ordered it back in 2014. The roof solar wires terminate under the 5 in. x 44 in. wood panel that you put your hands on when you lift the front of the topper. In the wire junction box under this panel is a ¾ in. knockout which is just the diameter of a new a Zamp SAE port. I installed one of these on my roof and was relatively easy.

Before you cut the headliner contact FWC with your camper's s/n and ask where the solar wires in the ceiling
are.

On that year I expect you will find the wires are located above the lift panel on the left side of center. After removing the lift board feel the structure above the headliner with your hand. You should be able to feel a square or rectangluar plate. I can't recall the size but roughy 3" x 3" with a hole of around 1" diameter in the middle of it. The wires are very near that hole (where I found mine) and can be fished out.

My camper is a 2007 model and I do not know if the newer models have a junction box pre-installed in that location (that would make access much easirer).

I had to carefully cut an X in the headliner at the center of the hole to allow folding back the headliner to access the wires. I used a long pilot drill to put a tiny hole directly above the center of the hole (on the square plate) up through the roof. Then I went up to see where it came out. Once I was comfortable with the hole location I used a larger drill to make a hole for the 10 ga solar wires (I think I used 7/8" but can't recall at the moment). I put an appropriately sized rubber grommet in the hole so the sharp edges would not cut into the wire. I installed the entrance gland on the roof, with wires routed into the camper through the hole in the roof, with screws and plenty of 3M 4200.

Inside the camper I bought and installed a small junction box and brought the wires from the roof and the wires to the front of the camper into it and connected them with crimp connectors. I put the cover on the junction box and repaired the cut in the headliner with a vinyl repair kit from the local auto parts store. Then I put the lift board back in place.

There are some pictures in my gallery on this.

I hope that detail helps you and prerhaps other wanting to add solar.

Regards,

Craig

There is probably a junction box in your ceiling.

Super easy to get to, and easy to install a solar plug on the roof, if you have a junction box inside.

Sample pic on where to look . . .

Attachments

• Solar Wiring Junction Box.jpg
    Solar Wiring Junction Box.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 89
Thank you to Jack, RAK4, Craig and Stan for the replies. The location of the wires on the front lift panel are consistent with a junction box in that location. I will check later this week and advise.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom